Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

2 minutes ago, TRtoOT said:

I’m working on a research team right now with a post-doc fellow who went back for her OT degree. Shes about to graduate from UofA’s OT program and shared that their curriculum is not as up to date to Ontario programs. She said she wouldn’t recommend it (so I didn’t apply). Also, UofT will likely have richer placements as there are many Toronto hospitals and clinical settings to do placements in. Just my 2 cents :) 

ooo good to know, thank you! I've been trying to find out about its quality but hadn't found anything too helpful. If you have any further details to share regarding your colleagues experience with the not-so-up-to-date curriculum I would be very appreciative! 

One thing that worries me is the UofA placements being out of the Edmonton area and having the fund that out of pocket. I suppose UofT would be a lot better in this regard!

:)

14 minutes ago, OTapplicant98 said:

Hi all, I wanted to ask if anyone has any insights/opinions on the OT program at UofA vs UofT- pros/cons of fieldwork placement, area, professors, career outlook etc. I'm trying to make a decision but finding it difficult! Congrats to all and good luck :)

I’m only planning to study at U of A (if I manage to get off the waitlist) so that I can study without paying rent (I plan to live with my parents). Afterwards, I’m planning on moving the hell out of Alberta for either BC or Ontario. There are no jobs for OTs and the likelihood of it getting better is not good. The Alberta economy has completely tanked with the oil/gas recession, and with it, funding for healthcare. I have not heard good things from current OTs that live here (many of which are planning on moving). Although the cost of living is more elsewhere, there are many more opportunities in healthcare and in the OT field in other provinces.  

39 minutes ago, ot_lea2021 said:

As I mentioned in my post earlier...got into U of T for OT, but ultimately, really want to go to U of Alberta as I’m from there and my family lives in Edmonton. I got waitlisted there. I really hope that the Ontarians who got into both the Ontario universities and U Alberta choose to go an Ontario university. Any of you planning to do so?

I’m from BC but got waitlisted at UBC, however I was accepted to U of A, U of T, McMaster, and Queens. I still have to decide which school I’d like, but it’s certainly possible that I pick an Ontario school over U of A!

Just now, PT PT PT said:

I also want to echo what some people have said above. I applied FOUR TIMES and finally just got accepted. I've spent the last three years taking courses to upgrade my GPA and doing everything I could to make my application more competitive. Hopefully this gives some perspective to how difficult the application process can be. Stay passionate, stay resilient and never give up! I believe in you.

Congratulations! I am very happy to hear that all your hard work payed off!!  

3 minutes ago, ot_lea2021 said:

I’m only planning to study at U of A (if I manage to get off the waitlist) so that I can study without paying rent (I plan to live with my parents). Afterwards, I’m planning on moving the hell out of Alberta for either BC or Ontario. There are no jobs for OTs and the likelihood of it getting better is not good. The Alberta economy has completely tanked with the oil/gas recession, and with it, funding for healthcare. I have not heard good things from current OTs that live here (many of which are planning on moving). Although the cost of living is more elsewhere, there are many more opportunities in healthcare and in the OT field in other provinces.  

Interesting- perhaps this is why so many placements are complete out of province. It would definitely be a positive to be doing experience with potential future employers in Toronto with their increased job opportunities! Hopefully if I decline UofA this will get you off the waitlist! Good luck :) 

13 minutes ago, ot_lea2021 said:

I don't think if you know, but would you say it's the same for PT? I was guessing PT is much more flexible given the much bigger private sector and opportunities for self-employment, but idk.

34 minutes ago, TRtoOT said:

Congrats! Would you be open to sharing more about this? I got into Mac but my PDF made no mention of any scholarship. Do you know if it was based on your average? 

I'm so confused cause they didn't really explain why LOL. My sGPA was 3.85 but I don't think that's on the high end of the admitted applicants considering they had a pretty high GPA cut-off for the interview offers. What was your sGPA?

19 minutes ago, jkadsjfpewklcxnlkasdjpw said:

I don't think if you know, but would you say it's the same for PT? I was guessing PT is much more flexible given the much bigger private sector and opportunities for self-employment, but idk.

I think overall, regardless of the province in which you plan to practice in, PT is a more job-safe career than OT. In the United States, as of the last decade or so, PTs have begun to adopt OT tasks/roles which means that in certain cases, PTs can compete with OTs for OT jobs...I learned about this by reading several blogs from OTs that live in the USA.

What I read was not super reassuring, but what is happening in the States may not necessarily happen in Canada.

8 minutes ago, lololiver said:

I'm so confused cause they didn't really explain why LOL. My sGPA was 3.85 but I don't think that's on the high end of the admitted applicants considering they had a pretty high GPA cut-off for the interview offers. What was your sGPA?

Score! Free money never hurt nobody ;) My sGPA was 3.91. Do you mind my asking the amount of the scholarship? How it was worded? My next steps are to look into scholarships as I choose from Mac, UofT, and Queen’s! 

29 minutes ago, ot_lea2021 said:

I feel you. I’m in the exact same boat! I was also waitlisted at UofA and only planning on going there. Fingers crossed we both get in!!! 

49 minutes ago, vicky6872 said:

Just got my rejections for OT, congratulations to everyone that got in!  I'm debating going back another term to bring up my gpa and was wondering to everyone that got accepted what were your gpa's?

Hey! My cumulative GPA is 3.44 and my sub-GPA is 3.87. I extended my undergraduate degree by another year to take extra courses and raise my sub-GPA. It's definitely possible to do another term, raise your GPA, and get into an OT program. You'll have to see where your GPA currently stands, and how many courses you'll need to take and the grades you'll need to get to have your GPA at a competitive level. 

I've found this calculator helpful when I was trying to improve my grades. You can use it to help calculate what your sub-GPA would be, and make decisions accordingly.

https://www.whatsmygpa.ca/

Best of luck, and I hope that the next cycle would be your year! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

2 minutes ago, 2021ot said:

I feel you. I’m in the exact same boat! I was also waitlisted at UofA and only planning on going there. Fingers crossed we both get in!!! 

Yes, fingers crossed!! 
Are you planning on emailing the admissions office to ask where you are on the waitlist?

6 minutes ago, TRtoOT said:

Score! Free money never hurt nobody ;) My sGPA was 3.91. Do you mind my asking the amount of the scholarship? How it was worded? My next steps are to look into scholarships as I choose from Mac, UofT, and Queen’s! 

I am out of province, so I am wondering how scholarships and all that work? Do you need to apply for them or is it automatic? Just looking for some insight on all that haha

Applied (OT): Western, Queens, UofT, UofA, UBC

Accepted: UBC and Queens 

Waitlisted: Western and UofA

Rejected: UofT

BC applicant and I have already received and accepted an offer from UBC (really wanted to go here YAY!!) Goodluck to all on waitlists and congrats to everyone who received their acceptances!! :D

1 hour ago, OTapplicant98 said:

Hi all, I wanted to ask if anyone has any insights/opinions on the OT program at UofA vs UofT- pros/cons of fieldwork placement, area, professors, career outlook etc. I'm trying to make a decision but finding it difficult! Congrats to all and good luck :)

Also if anyone has insight about UofA vs. McMaster that would be very helpful!! 

1 minute ago, hopes5926 said:

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!!

I'm a BC resident, and I'm deciding between UBC and U of T - anyone able to compare the pros/cons for those to programs?

Hi I’m in the exact same boat and am in BC. Would also appreciate anyone’s insights! :) 

I would also be down to make a pros and cons list together haha if you ever wanna bounce ideas off of each other 

Applied (OT): UBC, UofT, Western, Queens

Accepted: UBC and Queens 

Waitlisted: 

Rejected: UofT and Western 

GPA: UBC - 92.6%, ORPAS: SGPA - 3.71 & CGPA - 3.39 

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

- I think a big strength of mine was working as a research assistant for a professor in OT, attending a site visit to shadow an OT and finally volunteering at an OT clinic. I think these experiences really helped me gain a better understanding of OT and helped with my Queens personal statement and UBC interview 

- I worked with various populations in adapted recreation settings and as a residential care worker for older adults with developmental disabilities which I found very relatable to OT 

- I had pretty strong references from my OT prof who I do research with and 2 academic profs I took classes with

- ALSO, similar to @OTHopeful2021 my GPA was on the lower end and I was shocked that I got into Queens. I think my experiences related to OT really helped me make my application more competitive! 

I am a BC applicant and will be attending UBC next year! Will be declining my acceptance to Queens. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist and I'm excited to meet incoming UBC OT students :) Feel free to message or ask me anything! 

24 minutes ago, meeeramkat007 said:

Hi everyone! I’m so excited! I got into my first choice school OT- Western!! (Rejected from uofT and Mac - no response from queens)

Does anyone know if the program is full time/if you’re able to work during it? Or does anyone know if the field placements are paid?

Hey out of curiosity why is western your first choice?? I got into western and queens for OT and can’t choose!! Congrats by the way!! :)