Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

I was rejected from OT at Western last night and I still haven't heard anything from Queen's or Dalhousie OT. I'm assuming that means I have been rejected. Did anyone receive emails from Queen's? or is it just on ORPAS? 

I have also been rejected from 4 SLP programs and this is my third time applying. 

I have a sGPA of 3.51 and a cGPA of 3.33, 600+ hours of clinical experience. Honours bachelor in Psychology, and a post-grad certificate in autism and behavioural sciences. 

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT at McMaster, Ottawa, Queen’s, Western,

Accepted: Queen's

Waitlisted: Western

Rejected: Mcmaster

No answer yet: Ottawa

GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa : c-gpa: 3.91 s-gpa: 3.96

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

400+ hours as student trainer for varsity program. Was able to speak about key cases, what I learnt from them etc… Also spent time working with medical students as a mock patient for ultrasound training. Non-PT community work for holiday programs. References from the varsity PT I worked with and prof I had for 3 classes over my last 3 years.

Absolutely thrilled to have an offer after a last third waitlist from Western and reject from Mac (#1 school on my list). Still waiting for Ottawa U and will most likely accept there if offered 

12 minutes ago, PT0102 said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT at McMaster, Ottawa, Queen’s, Western,

Accepted: Queen's

Waitlisted: Western

Rejected: Mcmaster

No answer yet: Ottawa

GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa : c-gpa: 3.91 s-gpa: 3.96

400+ hours as student trainer for varsity program. Was able to speak about key cases, what I learnt from them etc… Also spent time working with medical students as a mock patient for ultrasound training. Non-PT community work for holiday programs. References from the varsity PT I worked with and prof I had for 3 classes over my last 3 years.

Absolutely thrilled to have an offer after a last third waitlist from Western and reject from Mac (#1 school on my list). Still waiting for Ottawa U and will most likely accept there if offered 

Did you receive an email from queens??

I applied to UofT, Mac and Western PT. Didn’t get a CAP invite and got my rejection emails from Mac and Western this morning :( I wasn’t expecting to get in because my sGPA was only 3.73, but I’ve been working at a PT clinic for 2 years as a PTA so I thought maybe that would help. Next year I plan to apply to more schools, and my sGPA will be much higher after this last semester! 

21 minutes ago, laulau694 said:

I was rejected from OT at Western last night and I still haven't heard anything from Queen's or Dalhousie OT. I'm assuming that means I have been rejected. Did anyone receive emails from Queen's? or is it just on ORPAS? 

I have also been rejected from 4 SLP programs and this is my third time applying. 

I have a sGPA of 3.51 and a cGPA of 3.33, 600+ hours of clinical experience. Honours bachelor in Psychology, and a post-grad certificate in autism and behavioural sciences. 

Hey! I received an email last night from queens with an OT acceptance. I believe they do send acceptance emails. Im so sorry to hear you were rejected. It’s so so tough.

Got rejected from Western and Toronto for OT (got rejected from Mac before interviews). I havent heard from Queens (and im not interested in going there) so im assuming thats a rejection too. I applied with a 3.71 SGpa, pretty devastated that i couldnt even get a waitlist spot anywhere.

Not too sure how to change my application for next year. I dont think it makes sense to try to take more classes as ive already been out of school for a year and none of my marks from my least recent five classes (first sem of 3rd year) are really bad? I had maybe one B+ but the rest of those grades are As so i dont wanna spend time and money trying to upgrade if its not gonna change anything. 

Just not sure where to go from here tho.. I thought my application may be unique because of volunteer experience, ive been helping at my local foobank throughout covid. and i went on two habitat for humanity trips and built two houses in central america (and was even president of the club in my fourth year and explained how i organized the whole trip/club). I really was hopeful id even get waitlist this year.. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting shadowing experience? I just dont know how or who to reach out to especially during covid, but shadowing an OT seems like the only thing id be able to add to my application for next year. if anyone has any suggestions pls let me know. And congrats to everyone for working hard and even just applying!! 

Applied + (PT or OT?): McMaster OT/PT, U of A OT/PT (Second year applying to U of A PT, did some upgrading)
Accepted: 
Waitlisted: U of A OT and PT
Rejected: McMaster OT and PT
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa I believe I’m around a 3.72 but it’s always been very confusing to me with calculating these. From what I remember I had a 3.78 on ORPAS.

Alhamdulillah I feel like I did well on my MMI from U of A. I was not too happy with how my Kira Talent Interview went! I feel like MMI environments are best for me cause you’re talking at a person and not a camera and it’s not a typing test either like the CASPer is. I emailed the U of A PT department and was able to get an approximate position on the waitlist so anyone on the waitlist who wants to know even a bit more info I recommend sending them an email  <3

For anyone who was not able to get in this year I want to tell you to keep trying <3 Feel free to message me if you need someone to talk to. Just know that you’re smart, you’re an amazing awesome fantastic person and that it is competitive and if it’s your passion then try try again. Please please reach out if you’re feeling distressed with the news or just need an outlet. Again I’m here for anyone who needs it <3 

4 minutes ago, OTwannabe2021 said:

Got rejected from Western and Toronto for OT (got rejected from Mac before interviews). I havent heard from Queens (and im not interested in going there) so im assuming thats a rejection too. I applied with a 3.71 SGpa, pretty devastated that i couldnt even get a waitlist spot anywhere.

Not too sure how to change my application for next year. I dont think it makes sense to try to take more classes as ive already been out of school for a year and none of my marks from my least recent five classes (first sem of 3rd year) are really bad? I had maybe one B+ but the rest of those grades are As so i dont wanna spend time and money trying to upgrade if its not gonna change anything. 

Just not sure where to go from here tho.. I thought my application may be unique because of volunteer experience, ive been helping at my local foobank throughout covid. and i went on two habitat for humanity trips and built two houses in central america (and was even president of the club in my fourth year and explained how i organized the whole trip/club). I really was hopeful id even get waitlist this year.. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting shadowing experience? I just dont know how or who to reach out to especially during covid, but shadowing an OT seems like the only thing id be able to add to my application for next year. if anyone has any suggestions pls let me know. And congrats to everyone for working hard and even just applying!! 

I was recently able to get shadowing experience with an OT through a friend who works at a clinic! I recommend either going to a clinic yourself and asking if they’re available for shadowing or through your acquaintances who may have the connections. My experience was virtual and it was approximately an hour long. I just asked her all my questions and she told me her experiences. I learnt lots because I had only been able to read up on OT through google and it was an amazing experience for me to be able to get first hand accounts on the day to day stuff. 

5 minutes ago, IzUofA said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): McMaster OT/PT, U of A OT/PT (Second year applying to U of A PT, did some upgrading)
Accepted: 
Waitlisted: U of A OT and PT
Rejected: McMaster OT and PT
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa I believe I’m around a 3.72 but it’s always been very confusing to me with calculating these. From what I remember I had a 3.78 on ORPAS.

Alhamdulillah I feel like I did well on my MMI from U of A. I was not too happy with how my Kira Talent Interview went! I feel like MMI environments are best for me cause you’re talking at a person and not a camera and it’s not a typing test either like the CASPer is. I emailed the U of A PT department and was able to get an approximate position on the waitlist so anyone on the waitlist who wants to know even a bit more info I recommend sending them an email  <3

For anyone who was not able to get in this year I want to tell you to keep trying <3 Feel free to message me if you need someone to talk to. Just know that you’re smart, you’re an amazing awesome fantastic person and that it is competitive and if it’s your passion then try try again. Please please reach out if you’re feeling distressed with the news or just need an outlet. Again I’m here for anyone who needs it <3 

I also want to second this!! this was my second year applying. Last year, I applied and got rejected everywhere. This year, after some upgraded courses and more work experiences, I got two OT acceptances, waitlisted for Mac PT and waitlist for u of a OT. My sub GPA is only 3.7! I think work experience helps a lot! It’s a very competitive program but I believe eventually, you will gain acceptance. 

2 minutes ago, SaraPT123 said:

I also want to second this!! this was my second year applying. Last year, I applied and got rejected everywhere. This year, after some upgraded courses and more work experiences, I got two OT acceptances, waitlisted for Mac PT and waitlist for u of a OT. My sub GPA is only 3.7! I think work experience helps a lot! It’s a very competitive program but I believe eventually, you will gain acceptance. 

Omg!!! That’s amazing <3 I’m so happy to hear that. It’s just about getting back in there. I was defeated when I didn’t get in last year because literally everyone I knew managed to get in and I felt a variety of self-depreciating emotions. But I was able to pull myself out and I set a plan to upgrade as much as possible without the risk of failing. I believe it helped that they did MMIs this year because last year they determined our acceptance with the CASPer and I’m the slowest typer so I wasn’t really able to show myself through that form of assessment. 

8 minutes ago, SaraPT123 said:

Omg congrats!! Thats amazing! May i ask where you got in for OT? Hoping ill have a chance next year!

Applied + (PT or OT): Mac, UofT, Western - both OT and PT
Accepted: 
Waitlisted: Western OT
Rejected: Mac (both), UofT (both), Western (PT)
GPA: sub 3.65

First time applying, will be reapplying next year for all PT. Plan to take upgrading courses to increase sub GPA. Congrats to everyone who was successful this cycle!

21 minutes ago, PTqt said:

If there is no offer on ORPAS and no e-mail from Queen's, is that a rejection? 

This is my question as well regarding Queen's.

Also, does anybody knows any details on the McGill OT waitlist movement in past years?  I have been added to their waitlist, however, I asked them my position or tier position and they replied that they do not disclose this information. :(