Premed 101 Forums

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know everyone is really nervous about the decisions that are about to come out. Just know if you don’t get accepted, it doesn’t mean you aren’t smart and it doesn’t mean you should give up! It’s a v

Hi everyone! With a lot of admissions decisions coming out soon/tonight-ish I just wanted to drop the number for some crisis lines as news can bring up feelings of distress.    Crisis phone

I can't believe we've had to wait so long since we submitted our applications in Jan haha. I have been anxiously waiting! Best of luck to us all!! 

Posted Images

I posted earlier but thought I’d add more info for future applicants!
Applied: UofT, western, queens (all OT)

Accepted: UofT (St George campus)

Waitlisted: Western (does anyone know if they’ll tell us where we are on the waitlist?)

Rejected: Queen’s

sGPA: 3.99, cGPA: 3.95

Extracurriculars: I had lots of experiences (I.e. a research internship at SickKids, a published poster, volunteering with the elderly, children, crisis helplines, and a bunch more) but nothing really OT related as I had been initially focused on going into dentistry 

I will most likely be accepting my UofT offer. If anyone who got into UofT wants to join a group chat, message me on here!! 

Congrats to everyone that got in and to those who didn’t, don’t give up hope!!! :)

36 minutes ago, EB19 said:

Didn’t get into the only Ontario school I was eligible for, queens. GPA- 3.97, cGPA 3.95, which leads me to believe that either my CASPER or personal submissions were extremely poor. Feeling bummed, I really thought my answers clearly reflected who I was and aligned well with the requirements of the profession.

that's a really strong GPA. Idk either why I was rejected. it makes no sense to me

Applied + (PT or OT?): OT at McMaster, Queens, U of T, Western
Accepted: U of T and Queens 
Waitlisted: N/A
Rejected: McMaster and Western
GPA:c-gpa: Not sure and s-gpa: 3.75
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I come from an arts background- I did an Honours Specialization in Social Justice and Peace Studies (it’s a mouthful, I know). I believe my essays and references were very strong. I had my former supervisor who is also a professor, and one of my professors as my references. My prof was also a huge support in guiding me through the application process. I don’t have any family who have pursued a Masters so this was all new territory for me! I had some volunteer work in various settings, and some work experience working one-on-one with folks in an academic setting, but NO EXPERIENCE in OT. I’m honestly just writing this so that when next year’s applicants look through these forums next year (like I did this year), they can see someone who got in with a low sub-GPA and no OT experience. You won’t know unless you try friends! Don’t let your grades hold you back from applying. I was so shocked I got in and I cannot be more thankful for this opportunity. 

Applied: PT for Queens, Mac, Western, Ottawa and Dal

Accepted: Ottawa

Waitlist: Dal (middle range), Western (upper third) and Queens

Rejected: Mac

sGPA was 3.86, thought I had strong personal submissions and references, CASPer must of gone somewhat poorly im assuming 

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, and to those who haven't don't give up hope! 
Applied: UofT, western, queens, dal, McMaster (all OT)

Accepted: Western, McMaster

Waitlisted: UofT, Dal 

Rejected: Queen’s

sGPA: 3.94, cGPA: 3.81

Looking to speak to anyone in the same boat as me trying to decide which school to pick. If anyone wants to chat send me a message! 

Also, does anyone know about waitlists for U of T, do they move a lot or little? 

5 minutes ago, PTPT12345 said:

sGPA was 3.86, thought I had strong personal submissions and references, CASPer must of gone somewhat poorly im assuming 

When did you get your response for Uottawa PT? Im still under evaluation but got a response for OT.

6 minutes ago, PTPT12345 said:

if you don't mind me asking. what makes you believe that you have a strong personal submission?

3 hours ago, OTwannabe2021 said:

Got rejected from Western and Toronto for OT (got rejected from Mac before interviews). I havent heard from Queens (and im not interested in going there) so im assuming thats a rejection too. I applied with a 3.71 SGpa, pretty devastated that i couldnt even get a waitlist spot anywhere.

Not too sure how to change my application for next year. I dont think it makes sense to try to take more classes as ive already been out of school for a year and none of my marks from my least recent five classes (first sem of 3rd year) are really bad? I had maybe one B+ but the rest of those grades are As so i dont wanna spend time and money trying to upgrade if its not gonna change anything. 

Just not sure where to go from here tho.. I thought my application may be unique because of volunteer experience, ive been helping at my local foobank throughout covid. and i went on two habitat for humanity trips and built two houses in central america (and was even president of the club in my fourth year and explained how i organized the whole trip/club). I really was hopeful id even get waitlist this year.. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting shadowing experience? I just dont know how or who to reach out to especially during covid, but shadowing an OT seems like the only thing id be able to add to my application for next year. if anyone has any suggestions pls let me know. And congrats to everyone for working hard and even just applying!! 

Wait if you only got one B and rest were As how is ur sgpa 3.71?

13 minutes ago, Let_Me_in said:

has anyone been accepted, waitlisted, or rejected from McGill QY PT? I haven't hear anything from them

hi! offers were sent last week, someone said he/she got accepted, i got WL on wednesday. i dont know if every offer and WL is out though! hope it helps!

1 minute ago, Let_Me_in said:

thanks for your response. do you mind sharing your GPA?

my pleasure! i asked mcgill to give me my GPA because its on 4.3 and they have to convert it to the 4.0 scale, i dont know my GPA on 4.0 yet!

44 minutes ago, OptimisticOT22 said:

Anyone who got into U of T OT, first of all congrats!!! Second, can any of you speak on GPA, essays, experience, etc? 

Thanks so much! My sGPA was 3.96. My essay, I tried to showcase my personality along with all the work/volunteering involvement. 

Degree: Honours BSc in Psychology 

Work experience: Work as a psychometrist and project coordinator of a research study, work with young adults with FASD, work with women who have been in human trafficking, and mark papers/exams for psychology professors. I have worked in academic counselling and mentorship, as well as a behaviour therapist assistant and respite. 

Volunteering: Research assistant, involved at my university, Care minister at my Church, young adults leader at my Church, mentor young girls through BBBS, and other clinical experience. 

3 hours ago, OTwannabe2021 said:

Omg congrats!! Thats amazing! May i ask where you got in for OT? Hoping ill have a chance next year!

Yes! I got into queens and western :) I should mention my sub gpa was 3.7 and cum 3.68. I have lots of work

experience like 1700 hours and roughly 80 volunteer hours! Good luck next cycle everyone

1 minute ago, PendingOTgal said:

Thanks so much! My sGPA was 3.96. My essay, I tried to showcase my personality along with all the work/volunteering involvement. 

Degree: Honours BSc in Psychology 

Work experience: Work as a psychometrist and project coordinator of a research study, work with young adults with FASD, work with women who have been in human trafficking, and mark papers/exams for psychology professors. I have worked in academic counselling and mentorship, as well as a behaviour therapist assistant. 

Volunteering: Research assistant, Care minister at my Church, young adults leader at my Church, mentor young girls, BBBS, and other clinical experience. 

Thanks for this! congrats:) Will you be accepting U of T or did you get accepted to other programs as well!

Just now, OptimisticOT22 said:

Thanks for this! congrats:) Will you be accepting U of T or did you get accepted to other programs as well!

Of course! I got waitlisted into Mac but top of the list, bombed a written question. Which is unfortunate. But I believe I’ll be accepting UofT :). I only applied to the two schools! 

Congrats to Everyone who got accepted!

I got an email this morning from U of T (PT) that I'm on the waitlist. Got rejected from Western and Queens with sGPA 3.83. 

I have no choice but to wait for their call. Not sure if U of T has a big pool of waitlisted people tho :(Fingers crossed!

Applied + (PT or OT?): all OT McMaster, Western, UofT, Queens
Accepted: Western, UofT, Queens
Waitlisted:
Rejected: McMaster
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa

c-gpa 3.41 s-gpa 3.73

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I have a breadth of experience working with both adults and children with various disabilities in both community and clinical settings for the past 5 years. I've worked on multidisciplinary teams with OTs and have been able to shadow them and work alongside them, which I think was very useful. For my fourth year senior research project I worked under an OT prof and she hired me after graduation so I've been doing research in the field for the past year. I am a strong writer and I got multiple OT's to review my essays  and give me recommendations on what to change and I spent a lot of time on them. My GPA worried me the most but I think my experiences really helped my application. My references were really strong as one of them was a prof I had a really good relationship with all of my undergrad, and my other reference was the OT I have been doing research with.

I'm not too sure where I'm going to accept yet, but I don't think I will be accepting UofT so that should open up a spot for someone soon! 

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist and congratulations to everyone who got in! To everyone who didn't this time around, don't give up! Every application year is different and I believe everything happens for a reason, so just because it didn't happen this year, doesn't mean next year isn't your year! 

31 minutes ago, Let_Me_in said:

has anyone been accepted, waitlisted, or rejected from McGill QY PT? I haven't hear anything from them

I got accepted to McGill QY PT, I got my email on Monday (in-province & former McGill undergrad). cGPA: 3.85. If you're out of province maybe they'll let you know soon!

Applied: PT at McMaster, Queens, U of T, Western
Accepted: McMaster 
Waitlisted: N/A
Rejected: Western, U of T, Queen's
GPA: c-gpa 3.56 and s-gpa 3.74

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my references and essays were both good but I don't think the CASPer went very well for me. In terms of experience, I have a good amount of PT experience from volunteering and working at various clinics and some other extra-curricular activities that demonstrate leadership, initiative, and community service. Mac only looks at s-GPA and interview though so I don't think any of those things mattered in my admission process. I thought my Mac interview was mediocre but I'm not really sure what they were looking for. Either way, I'm glad I got accepted!