Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

1 hour ago, zerochance said:

Wait if you only got one B and rest were As how is ur sgpa 3.71?

Only one B that first sem of 3rd year (got a couple other Bs last two years), just didnt want to take some new classes that bump out other good marks from third year! I was more considering taking new classes to bump gpa instead of upgrading as im afraid id do worse as ive been out of school for a year now and now im living three hours away from queens so id only be able to do online stuff (couldnt take in person if thats available in winter 2022). but not too keen on upgrading, hoping to gain more experience! 

Just thought my habitat volunteer experience would be unique and i also thought a placement i did with heart and stroke would stand out but maybe next time! 

Applied: PT McMaster, Western, Queens
Accepted: 
Waitlisted:
Rejected: McMaster, Queens, Western
GPA:c-gpa: 3.0 and s-gpa: 3.88

I honestly feel so hopeless and lost. This is my third time applying. After boosting my sGPA to a respectable 3.88 and asking all my friends who are current Queens, Western and Mac PT students to help me prep with personal statements and Mac Kira interview, I still get nothing. I have a decent amount of volunteer experiences, 200 hours at 3 different PT clinics and 400+ hours of non-PT volunteering at spinal injury clinics and charity organization helping mentally disabled teenagers. I'm not sure what else I can do to improve my situation. Any advice is helpful.

9 minutes ago, HopefulPT2021 said:

Accepted: 
Waitlisted:

I honestly feel so hopeless and lost. This is my third time applying. After boosting my sGPA to a respectable 3.88 and asking all my friends who are current Queens, Western and Mac PT students to help me prep with personal statements and Mac Kira interview, I still get nothing. I have a decent amount of volunteer experiences, 200 hours at 3 different PT clinics and 400+ hours of non-PT volunteering at spinal injury clinics and charity organization helping mentally disabled teenagers. I'm not sure what else I can do to improve my situation. Any advice is helpful.

You are not alone... this is my third time as well with a 3.89 sGPA and I got rejected everywhere. I honestly don't know what more they want

Hey Everyone, just to give a little hope to future applicants. 

Applied: OT McMaster, Western, Queens, UofT
Accepted: Queens 
Waitlisted: 
Rejected: McMaster, UofT, Western
GPA:c-gpa: 3.65 and s-gpa: 3.67

I am a first time applicant, just finished my undergrad. Looking at my sGPA I knew I would not get into McMaster, Western, UofT, and had little to no hope for Queens with my cGPA as well looking at the stats from previous years. I had a very solid Letter of Intent. I had the opportunity to shadow OTs, and I really used everything I learned and incorporated that into my LOI. I also had the opportunity do some research with OT in developing a Concussion management program to help people who've suffered Trauma to their heads. And I had a very strong letter of reference from a current OT who was clinical rehab manager. I also had various other community/uni volunteer and leadership roles. Just want to show that although marks are the first thing they look at, realllyyyy spend your time on the LOI and getting first hand experience with OTs because that stuff can give you an edge. 

Applied: PT- Queens, Mcmaster, Western, UBC. OT- Queens, Mcmaster, Western, Toronto, UBC.

Accepted: Queens PT, Western OT

Waitlisted: UBC OT, Toronto OT.

Rejected: UBC PT, MCM PT, Western PT, MCM OT, QUEENS OT

GPA according to ORPAS: cgpa- 3.71, sgpa- 3.79

From Vancouver, BC.

This was my fourth year applying to Queens PT, 3rd year applying for most other ORPAS schools, and 1st year for UBC. After the first two years I realized I would not get in with my low GPA and minimal experience, so I upgraded all my prereqs and several other courses and brought my SGPA up from 3.61 to 3.79. I also worked over 2000 hours in a physio clinic with very strong ties to UBC and Queens, and volunteered at a neuro-rehab clinic and with stroke society doing hand therapy (~100 hours) . I also was able to have my reference letter done by a partner at our physio clinic who went to Queens PT, and now teaches the GCOMPT program at UBC. Lastly, I feel as if I put forth strong personal submission statements due to a very unique personal experience which relates to the field of medicine and rehabilitation in a unique way; however, if theres one thing i've learned from reading these forums it's that everyone is confident in their personal submissions.

I know it's cliche saying this but if you were rejected this year, try not to lose faith. Congrats to everyone that got in this year. Feel free to DM me if anybody wants more details.

Applied: OT McMaster, UofT
Accepted: UoT (St. George Campus)
Waitlisted: 
Rejected: McMaster
GPA:c-gpa: 3.41 and s-gpa: 3.69

I honestly lost all hope when I saw my sGPA haha and knew Mac was out of the question. For my UoT essay and personal submission I touched personal experiences with my family needing OTs, along with my work in LTC. I also have prior research experience conducting human trials and assessing lipid digestion in males throughout my masters degree. 

I'm so excited to start at UoT and am looking forward to meeting friends lol. See you in September!

Congrats everyone!

Applied: ALL PT - Western, Queens, UofT
Accepted: Western, Queens
Waitlisted: UofT
Rejected:
GPA: c-gpa: 3.74 and s-gpa: 3.86
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Strong personal submissions (I believe); 50 hours in a hospital working with geriatrics, 50 hours shadowing PT, 50 hours hands-on experience with an AT, other experiences on campus (i.e. student council, orientation leader), and Over 1,000 hours working as an RA (with several conference presentations and a publication). My supervisor would have been a very strong academic reference and I think the professional one was good too. 

I will likely be accepting Queens, so that will take me off the UofT waitlist and open up a spot for admission to Western! Congratulations to everyone who got accepted, and to those who did not - don't give up! This field is extremely competitive and if you are passionate, you will get there one day! 

3 minutes ago, shad892 said:

Did you have to take a french exam? I didnt do that well on the written so right now i hae to take a recommended french course.

Yes I wrote the exam. I’m pretty well fluent, I don’t see the French course requirement anywhere in my conditions 

Current 2nd yr MPT student at UWO here. Congrats to everybody who got accepted today and to those who were waitlisted, don't give up! My class has 1 guy who got accepted 1 week after classes started. You never know what could happen, but all of your times will come, whether that's this year, next year or the next after that. You are all amazing people wanting to do amazing things and you will be rewarded at some point.

If anyone has any questions specific to UWO I am more than happy to provide some insight to the program to you!

Take care of yourself and keep dreaming big!

39 minutes ago, HopefulPT2021 said:

Accepted: 
Waitlisted:

Hmm this is interesting. Maybe it’s the Casper Test that’s lowering your chance? I can try to help you 

4 minutes ago, SJPT21 said:

Yes I wrote the exam. I’m pretty well fluent, I don’t see the French course requirement anywhere in my conditions 

Ah ok! I got an email a couple of weeks ago to do a "mieux ecrire en francais course" as a recommendation because my written french was weak. Congrats though!

4 minutes ago, TBPT13 said:

Current 2nd yr MPT student at UWO here. Congrats to everybody who got accepted today and to those who were waitlisted, don't give up! My class has 1 guy who got accepted 1 week after classes started. You never know what could happen, but all of your times will come, whether that's this year, next year or the next after that. You are all amazing people wanting to do amazing things and you will be rewarded at some point.

If anyone has any questions specific to UWO I am more than happy to provide some insight to the program to you!

Take care of yourself and keep dreaming big!

Wait, what?!! 1 week after classes started? How did that happen? 

Applied: (all PT) - McMaster, Queens, U of T, Western, UofA, UBC
Accepted: Queens, UBC
Waitlisted:
Rejected: Western, U of T, UofA, McMaster
GPA: c-gpa 3.69 and s-gpa 3.81

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I have extensive experience in multiple physiotherapy fields and settings along with experiences (non-PT) that show leadership etc. My references were decent for sure and I think my personal statements were well written. I think for UofT and Western, my file was not even reviewed due to low GPA. 

First time applicant

I am leaning towards UBC over Queens.

It also goes to show you can still get into PT school with a lower GPA with good experiences!

Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions! :) 

Hi everyone.

I am waitlisted at U of T for the OT program, the email they sent me said that " we anticipate that we will be able to act on the waiting list by mid-June", does that means U of T are not moving the waiting list and sending offer before Mid-June? Since any provisional acceptances become firm acceptance for OT program on June 6, does that mean if I accept the offer from another Ontario school I would be removed from the waiting list of U of T 's before they start acting on it?

Thanks in advance!