Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

8 hours ago, OT BABY said:

HI EVERYONEEE! Congrats on your acceptance - currently debating between UOFA OT (Accepted) or UOFT (hopefully once I'm off waitlist!) OT; going to be declining queens OT and western OT. 

Is anyone here attending UOFA OT - I'm from BC so would love to make a group chat or Facebook group to discuss living/program etc! If so SHOOT ME A MESSAGE!

M

I'm from BC! I got accepted into U of A OT and Mac OT, I'm debating between the two as well! 

19 hours ago, UWOT said:

Hey! I just got accepted to Western for OT, would you happen to know about the class / lab situation is with the OT program? Is everything still done in a class room setting or is there an option for distanced based learning?

Thanks!

I think they've had a considerable amount of distanced based learning via Zoom but I have seen them for their in-person labs a bit, so it's definitely a mix, and likely more Zoom than lab but again not 100% sure

2 hours ago, PTgd said:

Does anyone know if any PT schools allow you to defer one year? Specifically Queens and Western.

Thanks!

Western I believe will depending on the circumstances. I know for sure McMaster won’t allow it (asked to defer for a year because my daughter was born a week before classes) so I just declined my acceptance and tried again the following year.  I would email western’s program admin to confirm though 

Applied: UBC (OT), U of A (OT & PT), U of M (OT)
Accepted: U of A OT
Waitlisted: U of A PT, U of M OT (post interviews)
Rejected: UBC OT (post interview)
GPA: I believe the gpa I applied with was about a 3.9 or 90% for all of the schools when they took only my more recent credits
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

This was my first time applying and I didn’t have a ton of volunteer experience due to Covid which likely hurt some of my chances. I volunteered in a hospital abroad (70 hours), as well as volunteered with individuals with disabilities (35 hours), and have done volunteering for a few other organizations as well. I felt pretty good about my interviews except for my Manitoba one. I believe I had some strong references since I had a couple of TA’s that I got to know really well throughout my undergrad as well as a doctor that I shadowed when I was in the hospital abroad! I will be attending U of A in the fall good luck to everyone and don’t give up!! :)

18 hours ago, HarDaPT said:

Applied: PT at McMaster, Queens, U of T, Western, UofA, Dalhousie, UBC
Accepted: Queens, U of T, Western 
Waitlisted: UofA, Dalhousie
Rejected: UBC
GPA: c-gpa 3.86 and s-gpa 3.93

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

I think my Casper was done pretty well. My essays and references were also pretty good. The references were from 2 of my professors whom I have only known for about 4 months at the time and one from a Physiotherapist I had done a Co-op placement at. I think my Mac interview was okay but I felt VERY confident with the CAP. 

In terms of extracurriculars, I volunteered at a PT clinic for about 800+ hours, at the hospital for 60+hours, and another program where I worked with individuals with cardiovascular disease. I also had a co-op placement at a Physiotherapy clinic. The only research experience I had was a 4 month internship that I did as a course offered at my university. 

I am not sure what offer to accept so if anyone has any input I will greatly appreciate it! I really want to go to UofT as it is rated the best school for PT; however, I have heard that the environment is not the best. Not sure if that is just an undergrad thing or if it applies to masters as well. 

Congrats on the acceptances!! I have heard that UofT undergrad is very competitive and not the best environment but at the Grad level it is completely different!! (mainly since no one is competing to get the highest grades to get into grad school)

hi everyone! Congrats to all those accepted this cycle! I'm looking to apply next year and just had a quick question about sGPA calculations. If you take classes at the second or first year level in your last 20 credits do they not count? I know 300/400 level courses are preferred but I thought all levels were included (in Ontario). Any clarification would be appreciated! :) 

5 hours ago, Emdb13 said:

Applied: OT - UofT, Western, McMaster
Accepted: UofT
Rejected: Western, McMaster
GPA: sub-gpa 3.81

I'm still in disbelief that I got an acceptance! If anyone knows of any groups to join for the incoming UofT OT class, please let me know!

I made a group chat for uoft OT! Message me and I’ll add you in :) 

Congrats to everyone on your acceptances! I am currently on the SLP waitlist for Western... I have heard it is pretty common for people applying to PT/OT to also apply to SLP/AUD programs so I wanted to reach out and ask if this is the case for any of you? Just wondering if we could see any movement on the waitlists if some of you got SLP/AUD acceptances but were holding out for PT/OT acceptances

Hello everyone. I am going to be starting OT at UofT (Mississauga campus). I wanted to see if anybody else would be interested in finding a rental space together? From what I could find the rental market there is pretty limited. Or if anyone knows of any reputable resources for finding rentals that would be appreciated :) thanks! 

51 minutes ago, Hopeful2022 said:

hi everyone! Congrats to all those accepted this cycle! I'm looking to apply next year and just had a quick question about sGPA calculations. If you take classes at the second or first year level in your last 20 credits do they not count? I know 300/400 level courses are preferred but I thought all levels were included (in Ontario). Any clarification would be appreciated! :) 

Hey so I think it’s ideal to take 3/4000 level courses and for PT I believe it’s mandatory everywhere except queens. However for me, I weighed risk vs benefit and took all first year courses to boost my gpa. The courses were all accepted and I ended up getting accepted into two OT schools and weight list for one PT. I think 1000level classes are included in all OT schools GPA calculations except Mcmaster. 

40 minutes ago, SaraPT123 said:

Hey so I think it’s ideal to take 3/4000 level courses and for PT I believe it’s mandatory everywhere except queens. However for me, I weighed risk vs benefit and took all first year courses to boost my gpa. The courses were all accepted and I ended up getting accepted into two OT schools and weight list for one PT. I think 1000level classes are included in all OT schools GPA calculations except Mcmaster. 

Taking 3/400 level courses only matter if you are upgrading courses for PT. I have not seen that taking 3/400 courses is mandatory, please correct me if I am wrong tho! I don't know about OT.

1 hour ago, SaraPT123 said:

Thank you so much! Do you know where the McMaster exception is listed? I can't find any place where it lists 1000 level courses are not considered into the sGPA average. I am interested in OT but have two 1000 level course in my 4th year. I really appreciate this clarification, thank you! :)

9 minutes ago, Hopeful2022 said:

Thank you so much! Do you know where the McMaster exception is listed? I can't find any place where it lists 1000 level courses are not considered into the sGPA average. I am interested in OT but have two 1000 level course in my 4th year. I really appreciate this clarification, thank you! :)

It says it in FAQs I’m 99% sure... haha I spent a lot of timing searching these pages