Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

1 hour ago, ptptpt3 said:

This might be a silly question but does anyone know if "Upper third" is the #1-65 ranked on the waitlist or the #130-200. At first I assumed being in the top third meant there was a good chance of getting in but now I am second guessing that. I saw in the 2019 forum people were getting calls from the lower third in mid june

Hi, this is not a silly question at all, the wording is definitely confusing. I looked up on the waitlist movement of UofA in 2019, admission chair confirmed the upper/top third means people ranked #1-65.

42 minutes ago, laulau694 said:

Hi OT applicants, 

I am making an excel spreadsheet of stats to help OT future applicants as I will be applying again next time. If you could respond to my post or direct message me that would be great! 

sGPA: 

cGPA: 

#of times you applied: 

Schools you applied to and their responses: 

Hours of experience:

This would be the absolute best!!

55 minutes ago, laulau694 said:

Hi OT applicants, 

I am making an excel spreadsheet of stats to help OT future applicants as I will be applying again next time. If you could respond to my post or direct message me that would be great! 

sGPA: 

cGPA: 

#of times you applied: 

Hours of experience:

Applied: UofA, UofT, Western, Queens (all OT) 

Accepted: UofA, UofT
Rejected: Western, Queens
GPA: sGPA 3.88, cGPA 3.83

# times applied: 1st time 

Hours of experience: Very minimal experience in health care setting (~40 hours at a physio clinic + ~30 hours shadowing an OT). Sports at a very high level. Arts background (BA and MA). Will be accepting UofT offer. 

23 minutes ago, Ot2022 said:

This would be the absolute best!!

Thank you! 

So far, I have gone through the majority of the OT posts on this forum and here are my preliminary results

Average sGPA of all applicants: 3.795

Average cGPA of all applicants: 3.672

Total students included in data: 33

Total Acceptances to any OT program: 42

Total Waitlist Offers to any OT program: 15

Total Rejections to any OT program: 41

I will keep taking data as its posted and also look into averages per school (accept/waitlist/reject). I have everything in a spreadsheet broken down by school currently. 

1 hour ago, laulau694 said:

Hi OT applicants, 

sGPA: 

cGPA: 

#of times you applied: 

Hours of experience:

Honestly I’m nervous to post this. I’ve seen the stats of so many brilliant people here and feel like I’m not quite up to par. BUT I wanted to share my stats for anyone who might feel like me, like they aren’t good enough, and hopefully it’ll help give someone some inspiration and confidence to apply next year! 

sGPA: 3.72

cGPA: 3.36

#of times you applied: first time applying

Schools you applied to and their responses: Western, Mac, UofT and Queens

Accepted into Western!! Rejections for the rest!

Hours of experience: 0

To be honest I didn’t know too much about OT for too long. When I learned about it though I fell in love and with the pandemic it was harder to get experience. I pulled my background from my undergraduate degree (environment, peace and conflict studies, and business) as well as my extracurricular activities and experiences. I have experience working in philanthropy lead roles and mental health organizations. I think my personal statement definitely helped me get into Western! 

39 minutes ago, alinaaa said:

Applied: UofA, UofT, Western, Queens (all OT) 

Accepted: UofA, UofT
Rejected: Western, Queens
GPA: sGPA 3.88, cGPA 3.83

# times applied: 1st time 

Hours of experience: Very minimal experience in health care setting (~40 hours at a physio clinic + ~30 hours shadowing an OT). Sports at a very high level. Arts background (BA and MA). Will be accepting UofT offer. 

Hey! What made you decide to choose U of Toronto for OT rather than U of Alberta?

1 hour ago, laulau694 said:

Hi OT applicants, 

sGPA: 

cGPA: 

#of times you applied: 

Hours of experience:

Great idea!! 
subgpa: 3.7

cumgpa: 3.68

accepted: western, queens

waitlist: u of a 

rejected: U of T 

1600 nursing hours on a surgical oncology unit. 100 hours on a behavioural support unit. 80 volunteer hours, 60 health care aide hours, roughly 30 OT shadow hours. 

2 hours ago, laulau694 said:

Thank you! 

So far, I have gone through the majority of the OT posts on this forum and here are my preliminary results

I will keep taking data as its posted and also look into averages per school (accept/waitlist/reject). I have everything in a spreadsheet broken down by school currently. 

Thank you SO much for doing this!!!! Would you be open to sharing the excel link? :)

9 hours ago, PTCS said:

Hey everyone, 

For those who got accepted to U of A PT, would anyone be interested in making a fb page or is there one that is already in place? ☺️

There is one in place already, if you search up UofA MScPT Class of 2023 & 2024. There should also be one that is just class of 2024!

On 5/15/2021 at 4:31 PM, laulau694 said:

Hi OT applicants, 

sGPA: 

cGPA: 

#of times you applied: 

Hours of experience:

On 5/14/2021 at 2:58 PM, PTPT12345 said:

Got accepted to Ottawa PT, but I’m on the waitlist for Western and Queens PT. Is there a way to accept Ottawa but stay on the waitlist for the two other schools? Or will it take me off automatically? When I go to ORPAS it says I can either “firmly” or “provisionally” accept...then it says I can select I would like to still be considered for...so does that mean I will stay on the waitlist even if I provisionally accept?

Please do let us know if you do drop Ottawa Pt. Currently on the waitlist :)

14 hours ago, laulau694 said:

Hi OT applicants, 

sGPA: 

cGPA: 

#of times you applied: 

Hours of experience:

Such a great idea! 

sGPA: 3.87

cGPA: 3.75

# of time you applied: 1

Schools you applied to and their responses: Western (waitlisted) and McMaster (Accepted)

Hours of experience:

144 hrs with a supportive listening line through the Canadian Mental Health Association

About 60 hours of PT related experience (shadowing, volunteering in a rehab hospital)

I did not have any direct OT experience, other than the mental health line mentioned above, but no shadowing or volunteering with OTs. I drew on my extracurriculars and university experience in my McMaster MMI which helped a lot (student council, orientation week executive for a new O-week to the school, upper year mentor for an anatomy course). I am also currently working in reception at a physiotherapy clinic and was able to draw on direct experiences from there too.

Hi OT applicants, 

sGPA: 

cGPA: 

#of times you applied: 

Hours of experience:

What a great idea! So helpful :)

sGPA: 3.96

cGPA: 3.90

#of times you applied: first time applying to OT!

Schools you applied to and their responses: Applied & accepted at UofT, McMaster, Queens

Hours of experience:

I actually never kept track of my work & volunteer hours and didn’t put them on my resume! But I have work experience with seniors, young children, and people with developmental disabilities, volunteer experience with student accessibility services at my university and a private OT clinic, and 2 OT shadowing opportunities pre-covid :)

19 hours ago, Hopeful2022 said:

hi everyone! Congrats to all those accepted this cycle! I'm looking to apply next year and just had a quick question about sGPA calculations. If you take classes at the second or first year level in your last 20 credits do they not count? I know 300/400 level courses are preferred but I thought all levels were included (in Ontario). Any clarification would be appreciated! :) 

Hey! I graduated from undergrad in May 2020, then retook some first and second yr courses in the summer. In the fall, I took some additional courses at the 300/400 level. On uoft’s admissions site, it states that upgrade courses (to my memory, these are defined as courses taken outside of your degree) should be at the 300/400 level, with the exception of prereq courses.

although other schools in ontario didn’t mention anything about the level that upgrade courses are at (which leads me to believe they don't care) I laid out my prereqs in orpas by uoft’s guideline to avoid any headaches lol

The courses i took at the 300/400 level were fine, but I made sure to make the first and second yr courses I took in the summer as prereqs (it was psych and child psych)

I hope this helps! Lmk if you have any further questions

4 minutes ago, OT1999 said:

What a great idea! So helpful :)

sGPA: 3.96

cGPA: 3.90

#of times you applied: first time applying to OT!

Schools you applied to and their responses: Applied & accepted at UofT, McMaster, Queens

Hours of experience:

I actually never kept track of my work & volunteer hours and didn’t put them on my resume! But I have work experience with seniors, young children, and people with developmental disabilities, volunteer experience with student accessibility services at my university and a private OT clinic, and 2 OT shadowing opportunities pre-covid :)

congrats on your acceptances!! Do you know which school you’re accepting? I’m currently trying to decide

3 minutes ago, OptimisticOT22 said:

congrats on your acceptances!! Do you know which school you’re accepting? I’m currently trying to decide

Thank you! For me it’s between McMaster and UofT but I think I’m going with UofT. I posted about it in the Ontario OT forum as well! Basically it is the best fit for me with placement opportunities and educational experience. Mac sounds cool, but I’m not sure how much I would love PBL and a more self-directed learning approach. I’ve done undergrad courses before that were very self-directed and although I did fine, I personally would have preferred more structure. But that’s just me! There are tons of pros to McMaster as well! 

15 hours ago, laulau694 said:

Hi OT applicants, 

sGPA: 

cGPA: 

#of times you applied: 

Hours of experience:

This will be so helpful when I reapply next year!! 

sGPA: 3.78

cGPA: 3.77 

# of times applied: 1 (this year) 

Schools: Western (waitlisted), UofT (waitlisted), Mcmaster (rejected prior to interviews), Queens (rejected) 

Hours of experience: I have an OTA/PTA diploma so I have 4 placements in hospital, clinic and LTC (2 - 2 week & 2 - 4 week), I volunteered in outreach with individuals in all stages of Alzheimer's & dementia (10 months, once a week) as well as in a mental health facility (4 months, once a week) - these aren't directly related to OT but I tried to relate them as much as I could in my LOI. 

I wanted to mention, my sGPA will be a 3.8 when I reapply next year with my final winter/spring courses added in, I don't know if this will help me at all but its just a tidbit of info! 

Thank you! 

Hey!! This sounds like a great idea and thank you for putting the time and effort into it.

I do want to caution future applicants to focus on other parts of their application and not just the sGPA. 

I know personally looking through the forum everyone seems to have a high GPA so I was surprised when I received an acceptance with a 3.69. I almost didn’t apply because I was comparing my self to other applicants. But what you lack in your grades, try to make up in your experience. work on the other aspects of the application ie personal statements, references to make sure it’s strong.

If anyone is feeling defeated because they didn’t get in this year, don’t give up! Feel free to msg me if you want my experience with the application process.