Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

7 minutes ago, OTOT2021 said:

Has anyone waitlisted for U of A OT been accepted? There's quite a bit of movement on the PT waitlist but I haven't heard of anyone receiving an acceptance off the OT waitlist yet. 

As far as I know, not yet. Where are you on the waitlist?

I have a feeling that the admissions office will do it “in bunches”...so might not be sending out offers of admission for those who got off the waitlist every day, but will send them out every other day/every few days/once a certain number of people decline their offer.

40 minutes ago, ot_lea2021 said:

As far as I know, not yet. Where are you on the waitlist?

I have a feeling that the admissions office will do it “in bunches”...so might not be sending out offers of admission for those who got off the waitlist every day, but will send them out every other day/every few days/once a certain number of people decline their offer.

That makes sense, I'm on the top half of the waitlist so crossing my fingers I hear back soon!

12 hours ago, PTOT123 said:

Hi! Has anyone gotten into schools without taking a full course load (5 courses/15 credits)? Thanks in advance.

I did! I just took what I needed to graduate this year, as I had taken a lot of summer courses. I took 4 courses in fall semester and 3 courses in winter semester. (Although, they only would have looked at the 4 courses in fall). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want more details!

For those who got accepted/waitlisted into Western or Queens PT, I would appreciate if I could have some insights on how you wrote your essays. I got rejected from Western and Queens, but waitlisted into U of T after CAP. I know that my sGPA is not at the high end (3.83), but I am assuming my approach to supplementary essays was also a problem. 

Was there a specific structure that you guys followed when writing those essays? Did you guys get feedback from someone? Any help would be appreciated in case I have to reapply next year! :) 

5 hours ago, REHABletsgo said:

For those who got accepted/waitlisted into Western or Queens PT, I would appreciate if I could have some insights on how you wrote your essays. I got rejected from Western and Queens, but waitlisted into U of T after CAP. I know that my sGPA is not at the high end (3.83), but I am assuming my approach to supplementary essays was also a problem. 

Was there a specific structure that you guys followed when writing those essays? Did you guys get feedback from someone? Any help would be appreciated in case I have to reapply next year! :) 

Hi! I didn't apply to Western but I was accepted into Queens PT. If you message me I can share with you the just of what I wrote to give you an idea!

7 hours ago, REHABletsgo said:

Your essay should be like a story and make it personal- talk about a life event that made you choose PT and all the skills that would make you great. I know leadership is a great one 

5 hours ago, ptrg said:

was wondering if anyone else had to make a decision between ubc pt and uoft pt? and what factors led to ur decision?

A family friend of mine who graduated from U of T PT this year was actually in a similar situation. He went to UBC for his undergrad so he knows some people who did PT at UBC, and he was able to ask them about how they liked their program.

He told me that he decided to pick U of T over UBC for a couple reasons. U of T has a more hands-on style of learning where you get to do a lot of practical training, and they also have the research portion which was really interesting. There are many great opportunities for placements since it's in the city so the best facilities and hospitals are there. In the future, there would be a lot of connections for future jobs. He also told me how their class was super close-knit and everyone was very friendly. Also, U of T is known for being the top university in Canada so it does carry lots of prestige! Overall, my friend really liked the U of T PT program, and he definitely has no regrets.

I'm planning to go to U of T PT this fall. I hope to see you there! :) 

34 minutes ago, OTSaqui said:

Has anyone had any luck finding an OT Facebook group for Western? I'm looking to move out to London and would love to hear from people who are taking OT as well and living there/planning on moving there.

I havn't been able to find one yet. The faculty hasn't confirmed if the program is going to be in person for the year yet, are you planning on moving to London regardless of the situation?

Does anyone know if the program the past year was through virtual learning?

On 5/18/2021 at 3:18 PM, EPPTOT said:

Just got off the waitlist at U of A PT! I will be declining my offer at U of A OT!

congrats!! why did you choose PT over OT if you don't mind me asking!

I got into PT at McMaster, OT at uofa and Western and I cant decide whether to pursue one profession or the other. lol 

On 5/17/2021 at 6:47 PM, OTAPPINFO said:

Do you know of anyone who has done it during COVID? I am just worried how this approach might translate if classes are still mostly online. 

Current Mac OT student here! I can definitely say it’s been a process/adjustment but the profs are great and very open to feedback. They listen to the students and make adjustments where they can. I feel that as time has gone on, things have gotten better. Also, we have had some in person sessions too! 

23 minutes ago, UWOT said:

I havn't been able to find one yet. The faculty hasn't confirmed if the program is going to be in person for the year yet, are you planning on moving to London regardless of the situation?

Does anyone know if the program the past year was through virtual learning?

I'm still on the fence as I'm waiting to hear what they have to say as well regarding how classes will proceed this fall. 

21 minutes ago, Manifesting said:

congrats!! why did you choose PT over OT if you don't mind me asking!

I got into PT at McMaster, OT at uofa and Western and I cant decide whether to pursue one profession or the other. lol 

Thank you! Congrats to you as well! Its always nice to have options.

PT is a path I have wanted since I started my undergrad and I did so much volunteer work and working in the field as well, and I just absolutely love it. PT also has a strong emphasis on the physical body which I personally find more interesting, whereas OT focuses more on activities of daily living and emphasis the whole body (mental health as well).  

I also think OT is a really good choice but I personally do not have much experience with it so I am not the best person to talk to about it, but It seems like a very rewarding career choice. From the research I have done, my personal experience, and the people I have spoken too, PT just seems like a better option for me personally because of my interests and that I think I would have more of an opportunity to work independently.

I think both are great, just comes down to what interests you most :)

On 5/19/2021 at 6:44 PM, Soclosebutyetsofar said:

Are you in province for mcgill QY PT? I still haven't heard anything from them but I am OOP. Has anyone else OOP heard back either good or bad? 

I am in province & a previous McGill student! I think one person on here was accepted as well and OOP. Check your junk email and UApply again? Best of luck!

If I want to still be on the wait lists for other programs - will provisionally accepting my offer to another university by May 29th meet the deadline? I’m just worried I won’t get to stay in the program i accept if I don’t get off the wait list for other programs. Any help is appreciated