Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know everyone is really nervous about the decisions that are about to come out. Just know if you don’t get accepted, it doesn’t mean you aren’t smart and it doesn’t mean you should give up! It’s a v

Hi everyone! With a lot of admissions decisions coming out soon/tonight-ish I just wanted to drop the number for some crisis lines as news can bring up feelings of distress.    Crisis phone

Anyone else nervous for tomorrow’s results (midnight) in Ontario

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, PotentialOT said:

Were you in the top part? And what was your GPA, if you don't mind sharing?

I was in the top. My gpa isn’t amazing it was like maybe a 3.6 or 3.7 depending how they calculated it. However I have years of work experience in health care as a nurse which I think helped  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, congrats to those who have been accepted and goodluck to those still on waiting lists!!

After a day of bothering everyone around me for advice I thought I would come onto this forum and seek your help :wacko:

I provisionally accepted my offer to Queens OT however came off the Western OT waiting list today.. giving me until tomorrow to decide which one to choose. I was so set on Queens however everyone seems to be telling me to pick Western given their reputation for health sciences.

My pros for Queens definitely include the beautiful campus and being near the water, as well as the positive reviews of the profs and mentor program. However, Western also has a nice, much bigger campus, and I found the housing is much cheaper/easier to find. 

I also had some concerns as a POC attending these schools, I know Western is a bit more diverse than Queens but does anyone have insight as to which may be better for finding a community and feeling of belonging? I've heard Queens is stepping up their efforts to be more diverse but have they actually?

I would love to hear if anyone is in the same situation or has advice from their own/other's experience with these schools. 

If any existing students at Western or Queens are reading this, please tell me what made you choose the school you did! 

On a sidenote - does anyone know if these placements at either of these schools are paid? In addition to this, do either have OT cadaver labs? 

Lots of questions in this post but any and all insight is very much appreciated!!! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Help_OT said:

Hi everyone, congrats to those who have been accepted and goodluck to those still on waiting lists!!

After a day of bothering everyone around me for advice I thought I would come onto this forum and seek your help :wacko:

I provisionally accepted my offer to Queens OT however came off the Western OT waiting list today.. giving me until tomorrow to decide which one to choose. I was so set on Queens however everyone seems to be telling me to pick Western given their reputation for health sciences.

My pros for Queens definitely include the beautiful campus and being near the water, as well as the positive reviews of the profs and mentor program. However, Western also has a nice, much bigger campus, and I found the housing is much cheaper/easier to find. 

I also had some concerns as a POC attending these schools, I know Western is a bit more diverse than Queens but does anyone have insight as to which may be better for finding a community and feeling of belonging? I've heard Queens is stepping up their efforts to be more diverse but have they actually?

I would love to hear if anyone is in the same situation or has advice from their own/other's experience with these schools. 

If any existing students at Western or Queens are reading this, please tell me what made you choose the school you did! 

On a sidenote - does anyone know if these placements at either of these schools are paid? In addition to this, do either have OT cadaver labs? 

Lots of questions in this post but any and all insight is very much appreciated!!! :)

This might not help too much but queens was my top choice for OT.. I didn’t get in though. The campus is amazing and everything about Kingston seems to be amazing. I don’t think a bigger campus is better and I know that London is quite expensive and not as nice as Kingston/ queens. I also was drawn to the profs and mentor program there .. I think their program is really awesome. My gpa wasn’t strong enough for queens but I think you should be proud that yours was! Seemingly that’s queens was abit harder to get accepted to than western. I think you should definitely go with your gut on the school choice having people tell you to go somewhere just because of a reputation doesn’t seem so great. Overall both schools are of course great in their own way and you come out with the same degree! Goodluck with ur choice!!!  I will be deciding my school soon as I provisionally accepted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Help_OT said:

Hi everyone, congrats to those who have been accepted and goodluck to those still on waiting lists!!

After a day of bothering everyone around me for advice I thought I would come onto this forum and seek your help :wacko:

I provisionally accepted my offer to Queens OT however came off the Western OT waiting list today.. giving me until tomorrow to decide which one to choose. I was so set on Queens however everyone seems to be telling me to pick Western given their reputation for health sciences.

My pros for Queens definitely include the beautiful campus and being near the water, as well as the positive reviews of the profs and mentor program. However, Western also has a nice, much bigger campus, and I found the housing is much cheaper/easier to find. 

I also had some concerns as a POC attending these schools, I know Western is a bit more diverse than Queens but does anyone have insight as to which may be better for finding a community and feeling of belonging? I've heard Queens is stepping up their efforts to be more diverse but have they actually?

I would love to hear if anyone is in the same situation or has advice from their own/other's experience with these schools. 

If any existing students at Western or Queens are reading this, please tell me what made you choose the school you did! 

On a sidenote - does anyone know if these placements at either of these schools are paid? In addition to this, do either have OT cadaver labs? 

Lots of questions in this post but any and all insight is very much appreciated!!! :)

I may be wrong, but as far as I know McMaster has a cadaver lab - but I don't think Queens or Western does from what I've read. In terms of choosing the program it depends what is most important to you... Western's appeal for me was that they have intensives in second year, whereas Queens is nice because there are lots of hospital placements and the city is much nicer (in my opinion). I thought about the types of placements I wanted/demographic and ranked my choices based on that. I live closer to McMaster and Western so I know more about their surgical and rehab centres (I learned a lot by working in a Specialist's office and watching where our referrals were sent) than I do about the Kingston area. Hope that helps a little and good luck choosing! It doesn't seem like they gave you much time 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, PotentialOT said:

Has anyone emailed the U of A OT team yet to inquire about waitlist movement?

I emailed them last week. They got back to me on June 1st and all they said was that there has been slow movement... it's unfortunate that they can't give an actual number, but from reading this forum it's good to see it has at least moved a bit!  I'm currently in the top part but I will be taking my name off the waitlist as I just got into U of M OT. Hope that helps, good luck!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, OT_96 said:

I emailed them last week. They got back to me on June 1st and all they said was that there has been slow movement... it's unfortunate that they can't give an actual number, but from reading this forum it's good to see it has at least moved a bit!  I'm currently in the top part but I will be taking my name off the waitlist as I just got into U of M OT. Hope that helps, good luck!!

Congrats on getting into U of M OT!! I'm on the waitlist for them, hoping to get in, but I'm not sure how much the waitlist moves or is going to move anymore. If anyone has any insight or details they could share to ease my wait that would be great :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tryingmybest9 said:

Congrats on getting into U of M OT!! I'm on the waitlist for them, hoping to get in, but I'm not sure how much the waitlist moves or is going to move anymore. If anyone has any insight or details they could share to ease my wait that would be great :)

I got an offer of acceptance after being on the waitlist like 2 weeks ago but declined it. Good luck!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...