Premed 101 Forums

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know everyone is really nervous about the decisions that are about to come out. Just know if you don’t get accepted, it doesn’t mean you aren’t smart and it doesn’t mean you should give up! It’s a v

Hi everyone! With a lot of admissions decisions coming out soon/tonight-ish I just wanted to drop the number for some crisis lines as news can bring up feelings of distress.    Crisis phone

I can't believe we've had to wait so long since we submitted our applications in Jan haha. I have been anxiously waiting! Best of luck to us all!! 

Posted Images

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted ! I am curious, were any of you applying with a U.S. undergrad. I sent in some of my courses for the Canadian PT and OT schools to review and it came back that my Anatomy & Physiology courses "lacked content." For reference, I am in my last year of a BSc in Exercise Science at a U.S. institution. I was wondering if anyone has faced this issue before and if you were able to meet the pre-reqs by taking a different course at a different institution. 

3 hours ago, sasky said:

How many hours do people usually shadow for when applying for OT (for those who have been accepted)? Thanks in advance! 

Hi!,

I actually didn't shadow any OTs but had a lot of experience working with vulnerable populations. I ended up getting into 2 schools and waitlisted at another 

On 6/16/2021 at 5:09 PM, OT20211 said:

Anyone in UBC OT get any info on course registration? I got my registration date but no other specific info on the classes and what not 

David sent out an email with the list of courses we register for!

37 minutes ago, dentistry_hopeful said:

What is usually the starting salary for PT's in Canada. Seems like there is a big range when I research online...

Depends whether you work as a contractor or an employee, or if you're private or public sector. Where I work most common is 75 ish a year. But have seen  anywhere from 70-115k/yr

7 hours ago, dentistry_hopeful said:

What is usually the starting salary for PT's in Canada. Seems like there is a big range when I research online...

75-150K depending on where you are at, your skill level and the hours you work. I know a pt that works nights and weekends in ottawa and makes the upper end of that range hes about 5 years post grad. If you're good with extra certs its safe to hope for 80k

3 hours ago, XKIN2019 said:

75-150K depending on where you are at, your skill level and the hours you work. I know a pt that works nights and weekends in ottawa and makes the upper end of that range hes about 5 years post grad. If you're good with extra certs its safe to hope for 80k

I see, thanks for the insight guys. Also, is ownership a lucrative option these days? I know with the rise of corporations its becoming harder than harder to compete with these giants.

9 hours ago, dentistry_hopeful said:

I see, thanks for the insight guys. Also, is ownership a lucrative option these days? I know with the rise of corporations its becoming harder than harder to compete with these giants.

I think it depends. I would say a lot of the corporations are not always the highest quality of treatment and care either. If you do well with networking and genuinely care about your patients you can do pretty good for yourself owning a private clinic, but again it can vary. One clinic I worked at had close to 20 practitioners there (of various specializations) with many PT's specializing in pelvic health. This targeted a specific clientele whom continue to come back and refer people they know there too. 

4 hours ago, slice said:

Anybody here on the waitlist for McGill QYPT? I received an email on May 12 but they did not disclose any info about where I was or how many people were on the list.

I am on the waitlist for McGill OT as of May 6th, and they also will not disclose where I am on the waitlist.  Has anyone heard back?

20 minutes ago, OTwanderer said:

I am on the waitlist for McGill OT as of May 6th, and they also will not disclose where I am on the waitlist.  Has anyone heard back?

I was also placed on the waitlist on May 6th for McGill OT QY, and still no word (I also asked if they could provide any clarification on the number of people on the waitlist via UApply, but no response to that query). Guess it's just a waiting game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 6/24/2021 at 11:55 PM, dentistry_hopeful said:

All depends on where you want to settle down. Somewhere like London is becoming corporation heavy with lots of Lifemarks and CBIs in town. My hometown and where I’ll be working, Windsor, the corporations are not as popular because many Windsorites expect a certain level of care that isn’t met with those corporation “puppy mill”-like operations. Ownership is possible if you can tap into a market that hasn’t been serviced greatly yet (ScoliClinic  is a great example of this) or if you can open in an area that isn’t saturated yet. You have to be able to set yourself apart from other clinics in town, that’s the only way you’ll survive for the remainder of your career. 

Hi! I applied to PT this year but was not accepted. I have completed my degree already and I would like to boost my GPA so I can apply next year. I just want to confirm that a) I don't need to be enrolled in a full-time course load and b) I can pretty much take any course? It appears that way but I want to make sure!

5 hours ago, physiohopeful320 said:

Hi! I applied to PT this year but was not accepted. I have completed my degree already and I would like to boost my GPA so I can apply next year. I just want to confirm that a) I don't need to be enrolled in a full-time course load and b) I can pretty much take any course? It appears that way but I want to make sure!

As far as I know you can take any classes as a part time or full time student. The OT programs looked at last 20 credits (2 years), but the classes themselves didn't seem to matter. With OT there are no prereqs though, which I believe differs from the PT programs. I would look at whether your required/core courses or the electives were bringing you down. If it is a prereq i would try retaking or taking a course to sub it out. Hope that helps!

20 hours ago, OTdreamer said:

As far as I know you can take any classes as a part time or full time student. The OT programs looked at last 20 credits (2 years), but the classes themselves didn't seem to matter. With OT there are no prereqs though, which I believe differs from the PT programs. I would look at whether your required/core courses or the electives were bringing you down. If it is a prereq i would try retaking or taking a course to sub it out. Hope that helps!

Thanks! I don’t believe prereqs are used in the subGPA calculation for PT either, I think it’s also your most recent 20 credits (but someone please correct me if I’m wrong)! 

Hi, is anyone in OT that didn’t have direct OT experience? I have the opportunity to volunteer in a hospital, but the closest thing is in the Physiotherapy department. Would this be useful? I was wondering if I should go ahead with it, or try to find more direct/relevant OT experience (which might be difficult right now because of COVID). Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, PTOT123 said:

Hi, is anyone in OT that didn’t have direct OT experience? I have the opportunity to volunteer in a hospital, but the closest thing is in the Physiotherapy department. Would this be useful? I was wondering if I should go ahead with it, or try to find more direct/relevant OT experience (which might be difficult right now because of COVID). Thanks in advance!

Hi! I was accepted into UofA and Mac OT and I didn't have any direct OT experience. Majority of my volunteer work was physio related. 

I have a question for anyone who is doing OT. Do you have physio experience? A clinic agreed to me volunteering with the physiotherapist. I have been struggling to find OT services to shadow. Is this solid experience to have? 

I am very happy with my resume at this stage, but feel some shadowing will be the cherry on top. 

Thanks in advance!