Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone who applied to OT successfully last year... how did you go about picking your references? 

Would it be beneficial to have someone from health care or a volunteer coordinator? Or, could it be more beneficial to use someone else (like a prof) if they can offer a more personal reference because they have known me for longer? 

Maybe there is no right/wrong here, but I thought I'd reach out and see what others think. :) Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone applying this year!

6 hours ago, EllieOT2022 said:

To anyone who applied to OT successfully last year... how did you go about picking your references? 

Would it be beneficial to have someone from health care or a volunteer coordinator? Or, could it be more beneficial to use someone else (like a prof) if they can offer a more personal reference because they have known me for longer? 

Maybe there is no right/wrong here, but I thought I'd reach out and see what others think. :) Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone applying this year!

Most programs ask for one of each but it can change from one program to the other 

14 minutes ago, lovebagels899 said:

Hello everyone!

I'm currently in my 4th year of my kinesiology degree and will be applying for PT schools for the 2023 intake in my 5th year. I'm feeling a little (very) intimidated going through these and just wanted to see if I'm doing enough to get a fair shot.

I currently have a 4.33/4.33 cGPA.

Volunteer/ work experience:

• Volunteer with a support group online for people with Aphasia
  • Volunteer alongside a kinesiologist who creates exercise programs for older adults who are going into/ have done total hip or knee replacement surgery and those who have cardiac conditions (most likely where one reference will be coming from)
  • Volunteer leading a program for young kids
  • Work as a tutor at the university
  • 20 volunteer hours for a gym and worked there for 2 months in the summer

I will be working on a research project next semester so I'll have a strong academic reference, and also thinking of pursuing a thesis next year. I've gotten 3 scholarships so far from the university. I'm worried about not accumulating enough volunteer hours by the time I have to apply. I've seen people list 400+ on here, but I'm guessing I'll only have about 150-200 ish in total.

Is there any more I should be doing? Or any general advice going into the application process (things you wish you knew sooner)? Thank you!! :) 

Do you have any questions or are you here to brag?  You have a perfect cGPA and decent volunteering experience.  

6 hours ago, zerochance said:

Do you have any questions or are you here to brag?  You have a perfect cGPA and decent volunteering experience.  

My friend,

You have been roaming these forums far a while heckling and belittling a lot of people posting on here with high GPAs. Myself included. It is acceptable to have a high GPA and be worried about applications, it is entirely normal and there is no reason for you to go after someone with a decent GPA who had a question or God forbid got accepted. Some People have high GPAs some people don't. Give it up. And just because yourself or others don't get admitted or don't have a superb GPA does not mean the people here simply asking questions or posting information hoping to HELP future applicants should be ashamed of the GPA they have worked hard for. 

People put their life's work into getting into some of these program so please have respect for their efforts. 

And a word of advice, 

I see you've been posting about every possible reason you didn't get accepted and how long you've tried. Maybe instead of lashing out at everyone here who accomplished what you've been trying to accomplish, try asking for advice, help, guidance... Anything

The people who got admitted did a lot right to get the privilege of getting into these programs so maybe you could learns a thing or two about what they did right. They clearly did something

These people are not being rude or demeaning they are simply stating the characteristics of their application. 

People work hard on their application (GPA, volunteer etc...) Have a little respect for that 

And to the moderator who will inevitably have to review this due to a complaint of a hostile post... Do to me what you must but please have a look at this individual and what their history is on these forums.... People are literally deleting their true acceptable questions because this individual is berating them.

Ha immediately after we have a general request to calm things down we have even more generalized angry posts. I have hide them for now in further hopes to deescalate.  

To be clear anyone can ask anything about anything relevant to these professional school admissions, and in all cases we try to maintain a supportive attitude on the forum. That means from time to time people with "perfect stats" may ask questions or express doubts - that is fine as in particular people with great states routinely don't get into so it wouldn't be surprising if they wanted to ask questions/clarify things. Even if that clarification is just reassurance that is also fine (if a confidence boost does help someone do better moving forward how is that any less useful and helping someone with a lower GPA correct something. It is all about improving your chances).

There are a number of people with great GPA and fantastic ECs that I am working with this year that didn't get in last year to medical school as an example (all of that can count for very little for instance once the interviews come).  Admissions to anything is and will continue to be messy business.  Even if your application is great that doesn't mean it cannot be better in some way. 

Those posts can be frustrating for some - seen that before - but it doesn't change the overall point - plus of course we always have and always will take steps to avoid personal attacks on either side of a debate. 

Edited by rmorelan

• 1 month later...

Hi guys! 

I'm planning to apply to OT and in 3rd year I took 4 courses each semester and 2 courses in the summer. In 4th year I took 4 courses one semester, 5 courses the second semester and 1 course in the summer. I was wondering if UofT and McMasters OT program looks at the number of courses you have taken or if they prefer candidates with 5 courses each semester?

For anyone who has gotten accepted in in the 2021 cycle did you only take 5 courses each semester or did it vary for you too? 

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much :) 

Hi all, 

For those of you who have applied to both PT and OT, do you know how ORPAS distributes references? I have ones that I want used in my PT application not OT, and vice versa.

Also wondering if anyone has had any experience with applying to both programs working against them? For example, applying to PT and OT at Mac. I'm worried applying to both programs will make my application appear weaker for not deciding on one, but I'm genuinely interested in both career paths and I just want to keep the option open for now. 

Thanks in advance for the help!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, 

I am a first time applicant (PT @UBC, ORPAS, Dal). I have no clue where I stand and was wondering if anyone had any insight? I know that there are a lot of super cool and intelligent people out there who are also applying, just don't want to get confident if I don't really have a competitive application (saves me heartbreak)  

sGPA: ~3.81/4

Caspr: 4th quartile 

Personal: 600+ hours at local hospital, 600+ hours working with children with diverse abilities, started 2 projects at the hospital, laser tech at physio clinic

References: 2 prof's and the person who oversaw me working with children of diverse abilities

I appreciate all feedback, good luck to you all :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 1:29 PM, SavagePT said:

Applied: All PT - UofT, Western, McMaster and Queen's 
Accepted: UofT
Waitlisted: Western, McMaster (low placing so no chance of getting in)
Rejected: Queen's 
GPA: sub-gpa 3.87

2nd time applying, last year I applied to UofT and McMaster, wasn't invited to the CAP and rejected at Mac.

My experiences are pretty avg imo. I had volunteering experience at the physio clinic on my school's campus, as a developmental coach for my elementary school basketball team, and I am also active in giving therapeutic exercise advice to people who share my non visible disability. My work experiences are related to retail and the labor industry as part of my father's business.

I believe I had very strong reference letters. I took all of my prof's courses which were in a small setting (12 people in my 4th year advanced topic course for e.g.) so I was able to really get to know my prof closely. My physio volunteering supervisor was my other reference, and I believe she also gave me a strong letter as I was very active at the clinic!

If anyone who didn't get accepted to UofT wants some advice, feel free to DM me. I'm happy to give some pointers on Casper and the CAP exam seeing as to that's probably why I was accepted! I probably am not the person for advice on KIRA and personal submissions clearly :lol:

Hi there, I was wondering if you had any advice as to how to best prep for the CAP for UofT?

On 5/14/2021 at 5:39 PM, ptrg said:

Applied: UofT, UofA (OOP), UBC (IP), Western, Mac (ALL PT)
Accepted: UBC, UofT, UofA edmonton campus, Mac
Waitlisted: Western (middle section)
Rejected: 
GPA: cgpa 3.87 (if I recall correctly), sgpa 3.93 (maybe 3.92) (ORPAS SCALE)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

BC resident!!!! Was my second time applying to UBC and first time applying to the rest of the schools 

I think my casper went well and MMI's went really well (I did practice quite a bit)

I am thankful for the offers but have decided on UBC and will be declining my other offers so there will be movement on the waitlist!!

I want to remind everyone that rejections do not define us and to remain hopeful in these times and please do not give up!!

Hi May I ask how you prepped for the interviews and CAp exam? any tips would be appercaited thanks 

On 5/14/2021 at 5:43 AM, PTOTapplicant said:

I got offers from UofT and Queens PT on ORPAS! (but still no email from either? lol).  Also waitlisted for Mac and rejected from Western. Will likely be accepting UofT :)

My SGPA was 3.83 and CGPA 3.61 

Congratulations to everyone on your hard work! No matter the results, truly hope everyone realizes how proud they should be of themselves

Hi may I ask how you prepared for the CAP exam ? any resources or tips you find useful and things you wish you knew before you wrote it?

On 4/15/2021 at 5:45 AM, enroutept123 said:

My UBC PT offer came from the graduate applications portal Thursday, April 14th at 10:28am PST but the actual email from the department came later at 2:41pm PST.

Applied + (PT): UBC, UT, Mac, Western, Queens
Accepted: UBC
Waitlisted: 
Rejected: UT
GPA: 3.77 
Perceived strength of interviews: first time applicant, excellent interviews for UBC and Mac, felt very prepared; 

references: strong academic and personal references, prof that I knew for all 4 years of undergrad and employer that I worked for for two years as a respite worker

experience: yoga teacher (80+ hours) peer support volunteer, working in clinical environment in mental health industry, respite worker for individual with a motor disability (2000+ hours), volunteered in a sports physio clinic (100 hours) and neurorehabilitation clinic (50 hours), took a year off after undergrad to work then went back to school to take prerequisite courses and upgrade the GPA

Hi may I ask how you prepared for the UBC interview? I am applying this year and was wondering if you had any advice

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2021 at 4:29 PM, SavagePT said:

Applied: All PT - UofT, Western, McMaster and Queen's 
Accepted: UofT
Waitlisted: Western, McMaster (low placing so no chance of getting in)
Rejected: Queen's 
GPA: sub-gpa 3.87

2nd time applying, last year I applied to UofT and McMaster, wasn't invited to the CAP and rejected at Mac.

My experiences are pretty avg imo. I had volunteering experience at the physio clinic on my school's campus, as a developmental coach for my elementary school basketball team, and I am also active in giving therapeutic exercise advice to people who share my non visible disability. My work experiences are related to retail and the labor industry as part of my father's business.

I believe I had very strong reference letters. I took all of my prof's courses which were in a small setting (12 people in my 4th year advanced topic course for e.g.) so I was able to really get to know my prof closely. My physio volunteering supervisor was my other reference, and I believe she also gave me a strong letter as I was very active at the clinic!

If anyone who didn't get accepted to UofT wants some advice, feel free to DM me. I'm happy to give some pointers on Casper and the CAP exam seeing as to that's probably why I was accepted! I probably am not the person for advice on KIRA and personal submissions clearly :lol:

hey is it okay if i dm you about the Uoft CAP? im not sure how to do it on this website

On 5/14/2021 at 12:01 AM, theytriedtomakemegotorehab said:

Hi I’m in the exact same boat and am in BC. Would also appreciate anyone’s insights! :) 

I would also be down to make a pros and cons list together haha if you ever wanna bounce ideas off of each other 

I know that this is almost a year later but would love some insight on what you ended up deciding! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I'm wondering if anyone who went to/is at UofT for OT could answer a question for me. I'm wondering how orientation has worked in the past? Should I expect to be in Toronto before labour day? Was orientation mandatory in person?

Thank you so much!! I just got accepted and I need to know asap for work and moving! :)

On 6/4/2021 at 5:49 PM, PTTTTTl9987 said:

Hey! I took some additional courses in the summer after my 4th year to boost my GPA (I took a writing course and re-took physiology as I was applying for PT). After upgrading my GPA I ended up getting into Mac OT and off the waitlist at Western PT, Mac PT and Queen's PT. When calculating my sub-GPA they just took my 20 most recent courses (including the summer courses). From my understanding, you could just take any course (doesn't necessarily have to be a re-take unless you are boosting pre-reqs) and that will go towards your new sub-GPA calculation. I would recommend just taking something you're interested in and think you'll do well in! Good idea to check with the individual schools though too

Hi hi, I was wondering if you know how big the waitlist usually is for Queens :) thank you! Love reading your story about how you applied again and moved off the waitlist for many different schools 

On 5/16/2022 at 8:29 PM, PTPTAlberta said:

Hi hi, I was wondering if you know how big the waitlist usually is for Queens :) thank you! Love reading your story about how you applied again and moved off the waitlist for many different schools 

Hi! I'm so sorry I don't know :( If you're waiting to hear back from the waitlist - good luck!! 

• 3 weeks later...