Premed 101 Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know everyone is really nervous about the decisions that are about to come out. Just know if you don’t get accepted, it doesn’t mean you aren’t smart and it doesn’t mean you should give up! It’s a v

Hi everyone! With a lot of admissions decisions coming out soon/tonight-ish I just wanted to drop the number for some crisis lines as news can bring up feelings of distress.    Crisis phone

Hello all, Please remember to be professional and courteous.  The application process is an emotional one, but that doesn’t justify unpleasant or hostile posts.    Thanks! Ian

Posted Images

To anyone who applied to OT successfully last year... how did you go about picking your references? 

Would it be beneficial to have someone from health care or a volunteer coordinator? Or, could it be more beneficial to use someone else (like a prof) if they can offer a more personal reference because they have known me for longer? 

Maybe there is no right/wrong here, but I thought I'd reach out and see what others think. :) Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone applying this year!

6 hours ago, EllieOT2022 said:

To anyone who applied to OT successfully last year... how did you go about picking your references? 

Would it be beneficial to have someone from health care or a volunteer coordinator? Or, could it be more beneficial to use someone else (like a prof) if they can offer a more personal reference because they have known me for longer? 

Maybe there is no right/wrong here, but I thought I'd reach out and see what others think. :) Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone applying this year!

Most programs ask for one of each but it can change from one program to the other 

14 minutes ago, lovebagels899 said:

Hello everyone!

I'm currently in my 4th year of my kinesiology degree and will be applying for PT schools for the 2023 intake in my 5th year. I'm feeling a little (very) intimidated going through these and just wanted to see if I'm doing enough to get a fair shot.

I currently have a 4.33/4.33 cGPA.

Volunteer/ work experience:

• Volunteer with a support group online for people with Aphasia
  • Volunteer alongside a kinesiologist who creates exercise programs for older adults who are going into/ have done total hip or knee replacement surgery and those who have cardiac conditions (most likely where one reference will be coming from)
  • Volunteer leading a program for young kids
  • Work as a tutor at the university
  • 20 volunteer hours for a gym and worked there for 2 months in the summer

I will be working on a research project next semester so I'll have a strong academic reference, and also thinking of pursuing a thesis next year. I've gotten 3 scholarships so far from the university. I'm worried about not accumulating enough volunteer hours by the time I have to apply. I've seen people list 400+ on here, but I'm guessing I'll only have about 150-200 ish in total.

Is there any more I should be doing? Or any general advice going into the application process (things you wish you knew sooner)? Thank you!! :) 

Do you have any questions or are you here to brag?  You have a perfect cGPA and decent volunteering experience.  

6 hours ago, zerochance said:

Do you have any questions or are you here to brag?  You have a perfect cGPA and decent volunteering experience.  

My friend,

You have been roaming these forums far a while heckling and belittling a lot of people posting on here with high GPAs. Myself included. It is acceptable to have a high GPA and be worried about applications, it is entirely normal and there is no reason for you to go after someone with a decent GPA who had a question or God forbid got accepted. Some People have high GPAs some people don't. Give it up. And just because yourself or others don't get admitted or don't have a superb GPA does not mean the people here simply asking questions or posting information hoping to HELP future applicants should be ashamed of the GPA they have worked hard for. 

People put their life's work into getting into some of these program so please have respect for their efforts. 

And a word of advice, 

I see you've been posting about every possible reason you didn't get accepted and how long you've tried. Maybe instead of lashing out at everyone here who accomplished what you've been trying to accomplish, try asking for advice, help, guidance... Anything

The people who got admitted did a lot right to get the privilege of getting into these programs so maybe you could learns a thing or two about what they did right. They clearly did something

These people are not being rude or demeaning they are simply stating the characteristics of their application. 

People work hard on their application (GPA, volunteer etc...) Have a little respect for that 

And to the moderator who will inevitably have to review this due to a complaint of a hostile post... Do to me what you must but please have a look at this individual and what their history is on these forums.... People are literally deleting their true acceptable questions because this individual is berating them.

Ha immediately after we have a general request to calm things down we have even more generalized angry posts. I have hide them for now in further hopes to deescalate.  

To be clear anyone can ask anything about anything relevant to these professional school admissions, and in all cases we try to maintain a supportive attitude on the forum. That means from time to time people with "perfect stats" may ask questions or express doubts - that is fine as in particular people with great states routinely don't get into so it wouldn't be surprising if they wanted to ask questions/clarify things. Even if that clarification is just reassurance that is also fine (if a confidence boost does help someone do better moving forward how is that any less useful and helping someone with a lower GPA correct something. It is all about improving your chances).

There are a number of people with great GPA and fantastic ECs that I am working with this year that didn't get in last year to medical school as an example (all of that can count for very little for instance once the interviews come).  Admissions to anything is and will continue to be messy business.  Even if your application is great that doesn't mean it cannot be better in some way. 

Those posts can be frustrating for some - seen that before - but it doesn't change the overall point - plus of course we always have and always will take steps to avoid personal attacks on either side of a debate. 

Edited by rmorelan