Premed 101 Forums

Atlantic Bridge 2021 - Dental School

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2020 at 12:00 AM, zerochance said:

Curious how you guys are funding your education?  Seems like to get a Canadian loan you need a co-signer....

I'm more worried about getting accepted in the first place:unsure:. I don't know what they prioritize when it comes to applications... but I'm guessing GPA is not a big factor for them.

On 9/2/2020 at 11:00 PM, zerochance said:

Curious how you guys are funding your education?  Seems like to get a Canadian loan you need a co-signer....

Probably a mix of loans from banks, government, maybe parents? I submitted my application in August so now I wait. As an aside, does anyone know how many are accepted to the Cork 4 year? The 5 year would be nice too, its just more expensive. Also, does anyone know how many euros are needed for rent/food/staying alive per year?

On 11/3/2020 at 11:31 AM, CanadianIceCream said:

Probably a mix of loans from banks, government, maybe parents? I submitted my application in August so now I wait. As an aside, does anyone know how many are accepted to the Cork 4 year? The 5 year would be nice too, its just more expensive. Also, does anyone know how many euros are needed for rent/food/staying alive per year?

Yeah LOC from banks is oftentimes the main resource. Wow, you submitted your application so early, I know some people who aren't even done applying yet.

On 11/2/2020 at 6:34 PM, barobax123 said:

I'm more worried about getting accepted in the first place:unsure:. I don't know what they prioritize when it comes to applications... but I'm guessing GPA is not a big factor for them.

I'm right there with you! Really hoping that GPA is not the main factor. 

On 11/6/2020 at 11:40 AM, barobax123 said:

Yeah LOC from banks is oftentimes the main resource. Wow, you submitted your application so early, I know some people who aren't even done applying yet.

Yea, I was applying to a bunch of Canadian schools (like UBC, Dal, UofM, etc), and I thought I might as well finish applying to Ireland too. Plus they’re rolling, so the earlier the better. 

14 hours ago, barobax123 said:

What do you think their main factor is?

Don’t stress, there’s plenty of time to apply. As for their main factor, I have no idea. They say on the website that they are looking for all kinds of applicants. What that means idk.

For anyone who is currently in Ireland, could you speak to the cost of living per year, as well as you’re experience there so far? Do you like it out there?

18 hours ago, PreDentDragonlord said:

I've submitted all my documents; has anyone else received the Evaluation of Prior Learning form for the Cork 4 year program?

These are a way for Cork to evaluate how qualified you are for their 4 year program. I think most applicants receive them for that purpose!

6 hours ago, cadpredent said:

Is anyone getting more than 2 LOR’s written? They say they place a lot of emphasis on those so I was considering asking a 3rd prof. 

Yea I submitted 3 in total.

25 minutes ago, CanadianIceCream said:

These are a way for Cork to evaluate how qualified you are for their 4 year program. I think most applicants receive them for that purpose!

Yea I submitted 3 in total.

Ok thanks! Also was wondering how long it took your transcripts to be mailed? Both universities I attended only provide mail options and I’m worried it will take a while to reach as I just requested it this week. 

30 minutes ago, cadpredent said:

Ok thanks! Also was wondering how long it took your transcripts to be mailed? Both universities I attended only provide mail options and I’m worried it will take a while to reach as I just requested it this week. 

Of the 3 Unis I attended, only 1 was mail only. I think it took them a week or a week and a half to get there. I wouldn’t stress, I’m sure your transcripts will get there in no time.

plus you’re still applying pretty early, so you have just as much of a chance as any other applicant!

12 minutes ago, CanadianIceCream said:

Of the 3 Unis I attended, only 1 was mail only. I think it took them a week or a week and a half to get there. I wouldn’t stress, I’m sure your transcripts will get there in no time.

plus you’re still applying pretty early, so you have just as much of a chance as any other applicant!

Ok that’s a relief, thanks 

Can anyone offer any advice on the personal statement? Did you guys approach it with a story (i.e. talk about why you want to be a dentist, go to dental school in Ireland etc.) or just directly wrote about your skills and why you would be an asset. We already submit a resume/CV so I’m not sure if they want us to just re-iterate our experiences and skills in the statement in more detail. Any advice would be awesome :) 

On 11/18/2020 at 2:37 PM, cadpredent said:

Can anyone offer any advice on the personal statement? Did you guys approach it with a story (i.e. talk about why you want to be a dentist, go to dental school in Ireland etc.) or just directly wrote about your skills and why you would be an asset. We already submit a resume/CV so I’m not sure if they want us to just re-iterate our experiences and skills in the statement in more detail. Any advice would be awesome :) 

For my personal statement I essentially wrote a story which included why I wanted to be a dentist, with skills and why I think I would be an asset mixed in. I covered maybe a couple of things from my CV in my letter and explained those if they helped with my story, but other than that I didn't really re-iterate much from my CV. I hope this helps :)

On 11/24/2020 at 3:22 PM, PreDentDragonlord said:

For my personal statement I essentially wrote a story which included why I wanted to be a dentist, with skills and why I think I would be an asset mixed in. I covered maybe a couple of things from my CV in my letter and explained those if they helped with my story, but other than that I didn't really re-iterate much from my CV. I hope this helps :)

Thank you so much!