Premed 101 Forums

Atlantic Bridge 2021 - Dental School

2 hours ago, kelly643 said:

Does anybody know when we are supposed to hear back? 

On the website it says mid March/Early April but I know last year applicants were hearing back the first week of February for the 4 year GED program at UCC. The five year programs acceptances are usually sent out later. Hopefully we start hearing back shortly, I don't know if it will be different this year because of COVID but we will see.  

Hey Everyone! I am currently in my first year at UCC (BDSG1 4-Year Grad entry)! Thought I'd give you a bit of info and answer some of your concerns!

There's around 25 of us from Canada, but you share half your classes with some of the 5-year Irish students! Very few offers came out in February last year, I received mine early March. From what I know, Full year Anatomy is a requirement for the 4-year program, I know somebody in the 5 year program who specifically did not get in to Grad-Entry because of Anatomy, he is however waiving most of the courses he had done, so he has a pretty light load this semester! GPA is important but I wouldn't lose hope if it's not the best! I sent in 3 letters of recommendation (2 from my undergrad professors, and 1 from the Dentist I shadowed). My personal statement was around 2 pages, and I wouldn't be afraid to write about why you chose to pursue this field, and any other relevant extracurriculars/Job experience you have done. I also had been completing my MBA(Masters of Business Admin) while applying, I'm not too sure how that factored in , but I know a few other students who've also completed Masters programs in the BDSG program.

In terms of tuition, I applied for a LOC (Line of Credit) with my parents as co-signers, I think most students went with this option as well. With this ongoing pandemic, I'm sure most of you have heard that we stayed home this year, Semester 1 classes and exams were all online, and Semester 2 classes and exams have also been announced to continue online. Last Semester both First and Second years stayed home, and 3rd, 4th, and 5th years went back to UCC. This semester none of us went back, but 4th and 5th years are scheduled to come back early February, 3rd years have an accelerated clinical course scheduled in the summer. My last recommendation for you would be to create a Facebook group or WhatsApp chat, thats what my cohort did (No expired discord links), it helped us keep in contact better.

Good luck with everything! Hope your'e all staying safe!

On 2/4/2021 at 12:35 PM, UCCDentalStudent2020 said:

Hey Everyone! I am currently in my first year at UCC (BDSG1 4-Year Grad entry)! Thought I'd give you a bit of info and answer some of your concerns!

There's around 25 of us from Canada, but you share half your classes with some of the 5-year Irish students! Very few offers came out in February last year, I received mine early March. From what I know, Full year Anatomy is a requirement for the 4-year program, I know somebody in the 5 year program who specifically did not get in to Grad-Entry because of Anatomy, he is however waiving most of the courses he had done, so he has a pretty light load this semester! GPA is important but I wouldn't lose hope if it's not the best! I sent in 3 letters of recommendation (2 from my undergrad professors, and 1 from the Dentist I shadowed). My personal statement was around 2 pages, and I wouldn't be afraid to write about why you chose to pursue this field, and any other relevant extracurriculars/Job experience you have done. I also had been completing my MBA(Masters of Business Admin) while applying, I'm not too sure how that factored in , but I know a few other students who've also completed Masters programs in the BDSG program.

In terms of tuition, I applied for a LOC (Line of Credit) with my parents as co-signers, I think most students went with this option as well. With this ongoing pandemic, I'm sure most of you have heard that we stayed home this year, Semester 1 classes and exams were all online, and Semester 2 classes and exams have also been announced to continue online. Last Semester both First and Second years stayed home, and 3rd, 4th, and 5th years went back to UCC. This semester none of us went back, but 4th and 5th years are scheduled to come back early February, 3rd years have an accelerated clinical course scheduled in the summer. My last recommendation for you would be to create a Facebook group or WhatsApp chat, thats what my cohort did (No expired discord links), it helped us keep in contact better.

Finally someone with all the proper info. Just wondering if you know some of the average GPAs of the people who got in to the 4-year grad entry program and 5-year programs? 

On 2/4/2021 at 9:35 AM, UCCDentalStudent2020 said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this for us all! It’s really appreciated :)

On 11/8/2020 at 11:48 PM, CanadianIceCream said:

Yea, I was applying to a bunch of Canadian schools (like UBC, Dal, UofM, etc), and I thought I might as well finish applying to Ireland too. Plus they’re rolling, so the earlier the better. 

Don’t stress, there’s plenty of time to apply. As for their main factor, I have no idea. They say on the website that they are looking for all kinds of applicants. What that means idk.

For anyone who is currently in Ireland, could you speak to the cost of living per year, as well as you’re experience there so far? Do you like it out there?

Living in Cork costs around 6-10k euros for the academic year rent. Food might be around 200 euros a month and a typical pay as you go phone plan is 20 euros/month. In general it is a good city with nice people. 

On 2/5/2021 at 3:06 PM, barobax123 said:

Finally someone with all the proper info. Just wondering if you know some of the average GPAs of the people who got in to the 4-year grad entry program and 5-year programs? 

Honestly I have no idea, when doing my own research, I came across someone that got in with a 3.4 cGPA,  but from what I remember they had a lot of experience, and extracurriculars. UCC takes a very Holistic approach, and I know they place great emphasis on your letters of recommendation, your statement of interest, and seeing whether or not you have improved over the years during undergrad. To put it into perspective, I had a friend who applied with a 3.9 cGPA, with barley any extracurriculars/shadowing, and she submitted her application early January. She ended up getting accepted by a Canadian Dental School, but not UCC. 

Hope this helps!

On 2/4/2021 at 12:35 PM, UCCDentalStudent2020 said:

Whats the tuition? How much loan did you take out?

Do you know what happens if you fail a course? Do you redo the entire year or just the course (I'm worried about wasting a years worth of tuition).

Do Canadians basically stick with each other?

Hey everyone! I contacted Atlantic Bridge last week and she informed me that first round offers went out already for UCC (4yr) ... It was surprising to me because they never mentioned anything. I personally didnt get an offer in the first round, nor do I know anyone who got one. Just thought Id mention it here for those who didnt know. Of course, there is more opportunity to get accepted still so dont be discouraged. 

2 minutes ago, Dental Zeus said:

Hey everyone! I contacted Atlantic Bridge last week and she informed me that first round offers went out already for UCC (4yr) ... It was surprising to me because they never mentioned anything. I personally didnt get an offer in the first round, nor do I know anyone who got one. Just thought Id mention it here for those who didnt know. Of course, there is more opportunity to get accepted still so dont be discouraged. 

Do you know what day they went out?

4 minutes ago, aoaks said:

Do you know what day they went out?

I dont. But to give a little more context, I emailed them on Wednesday Feb 24. She replied saying "UCC has released their first round offers. Unfortunately you have not received a first round offer, however, you are eligible to receive a second-round offer. The next round of offers will be released in approximately late-march, early april." She also mentioned in another email that "roughly 20 seats were given first round" and "no rejections have gone out yet". Sorry I dont have more information other than that. 

A bit odd that they didnt update everyone as soon as they went out. Nonetheless, Im pretty sure a decent amount of ppl decline their offers, so I think there is still a lot of room for people to get accepted in the following months!

I also saw earlier in the thread that mentioned rolling admissions. I wanted to add that I confirmed with Atlantic Bridge multiple times and they said everyone who submitted before Jan 15 is considered for first round acceptances, equally. Meaning if you submitted in October vs very last day, you will be on an even playing field still. It is only rolling admission after that deadline, that is where you wouldnt be considered an even applicant. 

1 hour ago, Dental Zeus said:

I dont. But to give a little more context, I emailed them on Wednesday Feb 24. She replied saying "UCC has released their first round offers. Unfortunately you have not received a first round offer, however, you are eligible to receive a second-round offer. The next round of offers will be released in approximately late-march, early april." She also mentioned in another email that "roughly 20 seats were given first round" and "no rejections have gone out yet". Sorry I dont have more information other than that. 

A bit odd that they didnt update everyone as soon as they went out. Nonetheless, Im pretty sure a decent amount of ppl decline their offers, so I think there is still a lot of room for people to get accepted in the following months!

Someone in our discord group chat called Atlantic Bridge today and a few people confirmed with them that no offers have been released yet. They said first round won’t be coming out until at least mid-late march. Maybe you/the person who emailed you got the program mixed up? 

5 minutes ago, aoaks said:

Someone in our discord group chat called Atlantic Bridge today and a few people confirmed with them that no offers have been released yet. They said first round won’t be coming out until at least mid-late march. Maybe you/the person who emailed you got the program mixed up? 

Really?? I mean I am happy to hear that.. but interesting as to why she would tell me that. I spoke with Lauren Nagaoka.

11 minutes ago, aoaks said:

Also can i have a link to this discord please!