Premed 101 Forums

BC services card

So I contacted the admissions office regarding my BC service card which is one of the ones thats combined with my drivers license that is now expired. I cant go back home and get it renewed at services BC due to travel restrictions and even then it may take upwards of 4-6 weeks to actually get the card. Also UBC doesnt accept any other form of confirmation for MSP status which doesnt make sense to me especially in the given circumstances where not everyone can get their cards renewed/get them renewed on time. On top of this, they see MSP being expired if your drivers license is expired which also doesnt make sense. Sorry for the rant but is anyone else in a similar situation? What can i do?

45 minutes ago, johnnyboy13291 said:

So I contacted the admissions office regarding my BC service card which is one of the ones thats combined with my drivers license that is now expired. I cant go back home and get it renewed at services BC due to travel restrictions and even then it may take upwards of 4-6 weeks to actually get the card. Also UBC doesnt accept any other form of confirmation for MSP status which doesnt make sense to me especially in the given circumstances where not everyone can get their cards renewed/get them renewed on time. On top of this, they see MSP being expired if your drivers license is expired which also doesnt make sense. Sorry for the rant but is anyone else in a similar situation? What can i do?

That’s tough. Why can’t you travel back to BC? I believe it is possible to renew if you cannot attend in person - have you contacted BC services yet? My last card arrived in < 2 weeks, but who knows how COVID is affecting things. 

Unfortunately, it’s part of the application process to keep a valid MSP/bc services card throughout. The expectation on the part of the BC government is that you’re renewing it before it expires. Obviously that doesn’t always happen, and especially with everything happening with COVID, it’s hard to stay on top of this stuff. It’s possible that all you can do is apply ASAP (you’ve still got 4 weeks), document everything (take pictures of your old expired card, get proof from bc services that new one is on its way, etc), and hope you new card arrives in time. And if not, submit everything you have and get in contact with admissions repeatedly begging for support because of COVID.

1 hour ago, frenchpress said:

That’s tough. Why can’t you travel back to BC? I believe it is possible to renew if you cannot attend in person - have you contacted BC services yet? My last card arrived in < 2 weeks, but who knows how COVID is affecting things. 

Unfortunately, it’s part of the application process to keep a valid MSP/bc services card throughout. The expectation on the part of the BC government is that you’re renewing it before it expires. Obviously that doesn’t always happen, and especially with everything happening with COVID, it’s hard to stay on top of this stuff. It’s possible that all you can do is apply ASAP (you’ve still got 4 weeks), document everything (take pictures of your old expired card, get proof from bc services that new one is on its way, etc), and hope you new card arrives in time. And if not, submit everything you have and get in contact with admissions repeatedly begging for support because of COVID.

Yeah it honestly sucks, i asked them about a non-photo services card which they said they would accept so ill probably send that in, now it all depends on how fast i get the actual card in my mailbox. Thank you for the advice, ill do just that and hopefully theyll be nice

I had the same worry not about expiring Service card but about not able to return to BC right-away after graduation. People on this forum gave me a lot of good tips. Anyway, I was able to figure out with the BC Health services and UBC. 

What I think you can do (again my opinion on this, may not be accurate) is to upload a scan of your old card along with explanation to UBC, file for a service card renewal with ICBC right away (call them to see if they have an urgent service or if they can provide a digital version of the card for proof), email UBC admin via chat on the situation and let them know you are actively working on this (if you have any proof from ICBC, like the yellow slip for temporary driver license renewal, attach it), and then submit the application in the regular deadline. 

While I agree with what others said about the need to maintain card all throughout and you absolutely do, shit happens in life with missed deadlines and setbacks. How you approach and handle these tough situations is what UBC, if not all medical schools, actually evaluates on a candidate during the interview. I hope everything goes smoothly and you can put this story into your toolbox of stories to tell during the interview.