Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS- Supervisory letter (grad students)

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding OMSAS. I am currently a 2nd year masters student applying for med and am required to submit a letter of permission from my supervisory committee or the department chair. Is there some sort of template for this letter? Also, how do you submit this letter in OMSAS? I couldn't find much information about this online. At the moment, I'm thinking that such a letter would be submitted using the SAM tool. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Oh... one more thing- after the OMSAS application is submitted, can we still access it and view the status of our documents?

• 2 weeks later...

^update: OSMAS says to submit the letter via mail... this seems strange to me (esp during COVID). I haven't heard back from the medical school that requires the letter. If anyone else is in the same situation and knows how to handle the form, please reply here. Its too bad the med school didn't reply... I sent a message a while ago

OP, is your graduate supervisor one of your references? If so, McMaster does not require an additional letter: "If your Graduate supervisor is one of your referees, a second letter is not required."

I would presume that there is no official template - I think they just want to confirm that your supervisor/graduate program knows of your intentions to apply to med. 

I unfortunately can't comment as to how the letter should be submitted, perhaps you could try emailing them again?

Thanks again for the reply. My supervisor is not one of my referees (in hindsight- I could have averted this entire confusion if this was the case.. oh well). I agree, I was also thinking there isn’t a strict template, but I’ll try to confirm that with the admissions dept. I will send them another email tomorrow. With COVID, nobody is responding to calls apparently :huh:.

I will post updates in this thread as a reference for other potential applicants with the same concerns. 

8 hours ago, PrayingMantis said:

Thanks again for the reply. My supervisor is not one of my referees (in hindsight- I could have averted this entire confusion if this was the case.. oh well). I agree, I was also thinking there isn’t a strict template, but I’ll try to confirm that with the admissions dept. I will send them another email tomorrow. With COVID, nobody is responding to calls apparently :huh:.

I will post updates in this thread as a reference for other potential applicants with the same concerns. 

Good luck! :)