Premed 101 Forums

French Chances?

Bon matin à tous, 

I am on the edge about applying this year to the French UOttawa stream (through the social accountability initiative as well). I think my French skills are good, but my gpa is lower especially after the switch to cGPA. 
GPA: 3.75 .... « 3.80 wgpa:( « 

EC: tutor, Shadowed surgeon, about 3 years lab experience (starting a MSc now), community activities, and COVID frontline worker. Worked with several different populations of people. 

Any thoughts? I’m not sure how the SAI will effect my app and am curious!

Merci et bonne chance!

22 hours ago, mechy said:

Hey all,

I have never applied to Uottawa before and I am from Quebec. What is the process like for those who live outside of Quebec? 
Is there a distinction between in province and out of province? If so, how many spots are there for out of province students? 

Thanks!

there's very little distinction between IP and OOP applicants, except for the cGPA cut-offs. If you can speak French fluently, definitely apply since you're at a great advantage.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:15 PM, mechy said:

Hey all,

I have never applied to Uottawa before and I am from Quebec. What is the process like for those who live outside of Quebec
Is there a distinction between in province and out of province? If so, how many spots are there for out of province students? 

Thanks!

Btw, not sure if it was a typo in your post, did you mean you live outside Ontario? Since if you live outside Quebec and Ontario and can speak French, you should definitely (!!!!) apply, since you'll be considered for the CNFS stream, which is an even bigger advantage (with supposedly a lot lower cGPA cut-off) than most other streams.

On 9/12/2020 at 9:51 PM, DrOtter said:

Btw, not sure if it was a typo in your post, did you mean you live outside Ontario? Since if you live outside Quebec and Ontario and can speak French, you should definitely (!!!!) apply, since you'll be considered for the CNFS stream, which is an even bigger advantage (with supposedly a lot lower cGPA cut-off) than most other streams.

I am from Quebec, though I feel like my chances at Uottawa are slim because I do not have the advantage of the program that I studied unlike Quebec Universities. From my understanding, a 4.0 in Arts is the same a 4.0 in neuroscience for UOttawa right?

48 minutes ago, mechy said:

I am from Quebec, though I feel like my chances at Uottawa are slim because I do not have the advantage of the program that I studied unlike Quebec Universities. From my understanding, a 4.0 in Arts is the same a 4.0 in neuroscience for UOttawa right?

Yeah grades from all degrees are considered the same. 

47 minutes ago, mechy said:

Ouais c'est ça! Par contre, le cutoff est différent si t'es de l'Outaouais VS ailleurs au Québec. Le cutoff est plus bas pour l'Outaouais, mais plus élevé si tu viens d'ailleurs.