Premed 101 Forums

Can we insert web links in our ABS for OMSAS?

Hi everyone, just have a quick question on whether we can insert a webpage or Google Drive link as a part of our ABS (maybe even hyperlink)? I helped with several media/communications projects at my undergraduate university and 150 characters doesn't enable me to describe any of these or do justice to the final outcome. It would be so much better if they could see the work for themselves to actually be able to appreciate it. 

I know for research publications we can insert a DOI but not too sure if we can put other types of links into our ABS. Any help or guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

On 9/10/2020 at 9:21 AM, sciencegirl314 said:

Hi everyone, just have a quick question on whether we can insert a webpage or Google Drive link as a part of our ABS (maybe even hyperlink)? I helped with several media/communications projects at my undergraduate university and 150 characters doesn't enable me to describe any of these or do justice to the final outcome. It would be so much better if they could see the work for themselves to actually be able to appreciate it. 

I know for research publications we can insert a DOI but not too sure if we can put other types of links into our ABS. Any help or guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

Even if you could they wouldn’t click it. The reason for the tight limit is they don’t want to read a long description. Part of the point of doing it is to be as concise as possible. The DOI is so that they can confirm if you say you’re on a nature paper or whatever.

33 minutes ago, sciencegirl314 said:

@seewhathappens @bearded frog Thank you for your replies! :) Appreciate your input - I agree, it does seem highly unlikely for them to click on any extra links truthfully

If the form remains similar to years past, there is a little section at the bottom that allows you to add a reference link or something like that. I remember putting a link to my first-authored conference abstract there since it's not a bona fide publication on Pubmed, just in case they want to double check it.

But with regards to the 150-character limit, everyone applying has to work with that and the way you write it will be critical.