Premed 101 Forums

Taking 1st/2nd year courses to upgrade GPA?

Hello, I was wondering if taking lower level courses would have an impact on your application. I'm staying extra years, as I just took an interest in PT, and need to improve my sub-GPA. As a result, I'm taking some extra courses/electives, however, they are 1st and 2nd year courses as there is nothing else I can take. Thanks for your help.

From U of T PTs website in the FAQs about GPA section: "Any upgrades completed should be at the senior (3rd or 4th year) level, unless they are prerequisite courses. Prerequisite courses are permitted to be at the 1st and 2nd year level. We also recommend that applicants take courses in the life sciences/social sciences/humanities, as these subjects are most relevant to the MScPT program."

https://www.physicaltherapy.utoronto.ca/admissions/faqs/ 

17 minutes ago, PeaTea30 said:

From U of T PTs website in the FAQs about GPA section: "Any upgrades completed should be at the senior (3rd or 4th year) level, unless they are prerequisite courses. Prerequisite courses are permitted to be at the 1st and 2nd year level. We also recommend that applicants take courses in the life sciences/social sciences/humanities, as these subjects are most relevant to the MScPT program."

https://www.physicaltherapy.utoronto.ca/admissions/faqs/ 

Thanks for the info. I didn’t see this requirement from any other schools in Ontario. Does anyone know or have any experience with taking lower level courses with other schools other than UofT? Thanks in advance!

On 9/16/2020 at 9:00 AM, PTOT123 said:

Thanks for the info. I didn’t see this requirement from any other schools in Ontario. Does anyone know or have any experience with taking lower level courses with other schools other than UofT? Thanks in advance!

Mac also says you should be upgrading at the 300/400level

22 hours ago, PTOT123 said:

What exactly does “upgrading” mean? I haven’t graduated yet but staying an extra year or two. Would this still count as upgrading? Thank you. 

it means when you want to improve your GPA/upgrade your gpa you should be taking 300/400 level courses to increase it