Premed 101 Forums

Liking a competitive specialty

I'm a first year, so my mind can change, but is it worth going for a competitive specialty when the likelihood is that I won't be matched and won't be able to work as a doctor? That's personally terrifying and I'd rather be safe than sorry, but also I don't want to regret anything later in case I fall in LOVE with a competitive specialty. Anyone got any advice on this?

You go for it, and if your mind changes in clerkship to something less competitive then you're set. Otherwise back up and make connections. If you don't try then you definitely won't match to that speciality. This is a common feeling you're having, and has been addressed many times. It ultimately is up to what type of risk you want to expose yourself too. 

I went for FM and 2 competitive fields, all of which would have been fulfilling to me. I let the chips fall where they may. Keep your options open. I only selected the 3rd field on the day I had to submit my application and that is the specialty where I work now. :P It is far too early in the game to close doors.

In addition to the above, just because your preferred speciality is competitive doesn't equal a likelihood that you won't match or work as a doctor at all. If you decide you really want to do something, there are many ways to increase your chances of matching (backing up with similar specialities, being willing to move, etc.). Even someone going for low competitive specialties like family can go unmatched if they are too picky about ranking programs.