Premed 101 Forums

Repeat application stats: thoughts

Hi there! I'm entering the application cycle for another round (3rd time: 2018-2019, 2019-2020, 2020-2021 cycles)

Could you let me know your thoughts on my stats and likelihood for Canadian schools (Queens, Mac, UofT and Ottawa), McGill, UBC, Dal and Memorial

I'm currently in my MSc (year 2)

cGPA (undergrad): 3.94 (Year 1: 3.82, Year 2: 4.0, Year 3: 4.0 – finished my 4-year Hons BSc degree at the University of Toronto in 3 years: Double Major Biology and Gender Studies)

MCAT (2nd attempt): 510 (127/127/126/130 – 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 cycles) (1st attempt: 506 – 2018-2019 cycle)

ECs: 3 manuscripts, oral and poster presentations, founded a club, President of 3 clubs, started a non-profit, note-taker for accessibility centre, food centre volunteer, invigilator, TA Assistant, hospital observership, clinic volunteer, university graduating award (humanities), etc

I would really appreciate any feedback! Thank you so much!

5 minutes ago, drager said:

Did you apply to Western last year? With your MCAT and GPA, you're above the cut-offs. Only the ABS is left. 

Thanks for your response!

I did apply last year (and the year before, lol)

Unfortunately, I got no interviews last year

I am applying again this time, but not to Western as I don't meet the out of southwestern Ontario MCAT cutoffs (128 CARS)

I think Memorial has a 127 screen for OOP, but it's a fuzzy memory. Look into it to confirm since it's a horrifically expensive application. 

Have you ever interviewed anywhere? I'm honestly surprised you didn't have any luck with Ottawa or Mac (even with a 127, that 3.94 shines). The only thing that you might be able to improve (grasping at straws here with your GPA and decent MCAT) is that your CASPer performance is bad or your ECs look cookie cutter, maybe do something unique that speaks to you if you want to continue applying? Maybe it's the way you worded them or a lack of work experience, I really don't know for ECs. 

2 hours ago, MedicineLCS said:

I think Memorial has a 127 screen for OOP, but it's a fuzzy memory. Look into it to confirm since it's a horrifically expensive application. 

Have you ever interviewed anywhere? I'm honestly surprised you didn't have any luck with Ottawa or Mac (even with a 127, that 3.94 shines). The only thing that you might be able to improve (grasping at straws here with your GPA and decent MCAT) is that your CASPer performance is bad or your ECs look cookie cutter, maybe do something unique that speaks to you if you want to continue applying? Maybe it's the way you worded them or a lack of work experience, I really don't know for ECs. 

Thank you so much for your response! Do you mean 127 in all sections or just CARS? 

I've, unfortunately, never received an interview anywhere in the last 2 application cycles (2018-2019, 2019-2020)

I applied to McGill last year, who kindly provide a stats report if you are rejected. I was in the top 150 of the 700ish people who applied in my non-academic score (which they said was just CASPer), so I think, it may not be the CASPer that's holding me back. I also really hoped my background in the humanities (Gender studies major) would help me there

I guess my ECs are the issue then, I'm not sure though :(Again, thank you so much for all your guidance! 

No idea on if it's all sections or just CARS, I believe there was discussion about it in the Memorial forum. 

With those results it's hard to say what the "issue" is, perhaps a combo of being unlucky and finicky EC markers/poor EC presentation. Maybe it's the way you're describing them here, but it's possible your ECs are making you look like a cookie cutter type person, some of whom will get in, but with so many similar cookie cutter people it's kinda a luck game (and having better stats) for who gets lucky. 

I wouldn't be surprised if you interview at one or more of Mac, UofT and Ottawa this year with your MSc hopefully close to being done. Good luck!  

5 hours ago, MedicineLCS said:

No idea on if it's all sections or just CARS, I believe there was discussion about it in the Memorial forum. 

With those results it's hard to say what the "issue" is, perhaps a combo of being unlucky and finicky EC markers/poor EC presentation. Maybe it's the way you're describing them here, but it's possible your ECs are making you look like a cookie cutter type person, some of whom will get in, but with so many similar cookie cutter people it's kinda a luck game (and having better stats) for who gets lucky. 

I wouldn't be surprised if you interview at one or more of Mac, UofT and Ottawa this year with your MSc hopefully close to being done. Good luck!  

Thanks so much for your response! I'm definitely going to look into this! :)

I truly hope so – fingers crossed I hear back this year 

Thank you again for all your support! 

3 hours ago, goalnorth311 said:

Were you the president of a premed club? Just asking cause I know quite a few people in my university being "discriminated" by adcoms due to their involvement in premed clubs. Just my observation, wanted to know if it's the same for you 

Thanks for your response!

I was President of a few clubs, all inspired by my experiences and initiatives. One was for a marginalized group I directly interacted with during an overseas observership, one was for cancer awareness/support and the last one was one that I founded after my experiences with my grandfather who had dementia.

None of them were premed clubs per say, but we did hold seminars with PhD speakers, for those looking to pursue research

Let me know if this sounds similar to the clubs the people you know were involved in. Any information helps! 

Thank you!