Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites 2020/2021 Cycle

4 minutes ago, justamom said:

maybe this is a bit random but could high stats actually disqualify ? They maybe assume you'd get multiple offers ? 

This could be true but I feel like this is the purpose of the waiting list right, they'd still give offers to the high stats but have a long waiting list in case they decline?

OOP Rejection (few hours ago)

GPA: 90ish

MCAT: 520

EC’s: Not the best but not weak

CASPer: Met Dal’s cut off, felt decent and don’t think it went bad enough to limit me

Essays: Whipped them together in a week or so but not my best work. 

Kind of expected this tbh they only have 6 OOP seats

7 minutes ago, offmychestplease said:

lol no, you can have a 528 4.0 and still not get an interview if some aspect like Casper, essays, EC, reference etc are lacking for Canadian medical schools. Even examples on this forum alone of what I mentioned.

I don't think this is what they meant- I think they meant is it possible for MUN to specifically disqualify people just because they have high stats, not that people with high stats are guaranteed an interview (which like you said, is definitely not true)

4 minutes ago, Psych said:

I don't think this is what they meant- I think they meant is it possible for MUN to specifically disqualify people just because they have high stats, not that people with high stats are guaranteed an interview (which like you said, is definitely not true)

Yeah but like offmychest said, there are so many other reasons why someone w high stats might not get an interview so it would be really hard for us to know if this is the case. We can speculate but personally I don't think they would do that because the waitlist takes care of that problem for them.

2 minutes ago, Ss123toy said:

Yeah but like offmychest said, there are so many other reasons why someone w high stats might not get an interview so it would be really hard for us to know if this is the case. We can speculate but personally I don't think they would do that because the waitlist takes care of that problem for them.

Yeah for sure sorry if it wasn't clear but I totally agree with this! I just think offmychest thought that justamom was insinuating that people with high stats are guaranteed an interview but she/he/they were actually saying the opposite

OOP (Ontario Interview 2:06pm)

GPA: 3.87

MCAT: 512

EC's: I would say strong - Lots of published research and multiple executive volunteering positions for over 4+ years

Employment: Various research positions as work-terms in undergrad and multiple part time jobs through undergrad

CASPer: Met Dal's cut-off

2nd year MSc student

10 minutes ago, retawxy said:

If i'm reading this right:

https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2021_admission-requirements_EN.pdf

There are 100+ interview invites for 6 spots OOP?

That list includes the NB applicants.

I called in last year and they said anywhere between 35-50 invited for the OOP (non-atlantic) 6 spots.

Invited ~220pm. Good luck!

OOP Invite around 11:25 am PST!!!! So stoked!

GPA: ~83.5 

MCAT: 523 (129 CARS)

Degree: UBC BSc 2020

Extracurriculars: nothing crazy, mix of short and long term (3 months-10 years), hours ranged 30-1500 for each, emphasis on volunteering/helping others as opposed to personal development/hobbies, lots of research but no pubs, worked multiple part-time jobs throughout uni

Casper: felt good

References: one stellar from a uni prof, one average from my volunteer supervisor

So beyond grateful and excited to be receiving this invite, especially given my low GPA compared to the OOP pool. Taking this as proof that MUN really does look at applicants holistically :)

OOP (BC, originally from ON) invite at 11am PST

This is a huge shock after 2 cycles applying in ON with 0 interviews! Feeling excited and grateful. 

GPA: 89% ish?

MCAT: 517 

ECs: music heavy, some hospital volunteering, some research, some teaching/mentoring experience.

I would be excited to prep with others getting ready for this interview :) send me a message if you're interested!