Premed 101 Forums

Applying with low GPA

Hello everyone,

I have not applied to the Ottawa past  2 cycle since my wGPA was below 3.85 for this school. After the changes they have made to their GPA calculation, my GPA is at the cutoff 3.85. Do you think I should bother applying to Ottawa. I am applying through English in province stream. Can a good casper score salvage low end GPA. Anyone here who got it with similar GPA?

Thanks,

44 minutes ago, TheDarkPassenger said:

I'm curious about my situation as well. I have strong ECs and will give my best shot on CASPer, but i'm sitting at a 3.80 cGPA (according to Ottawa's calculation). Still worth applying? Admissions told me that they aren't even certain about their cut-off for the coming cycle. Thanks.

I believe it has been mentioned that uOttawa is keeping their previous cutoff of 3.85 this year. Not sure if it's 100% true or if they changed their mind though. 

I specifically asked admissions about this, given my circumstances (i'm just below the 3.85 cut-off). They said they anticipate the cut-off being 3.85, but also mentioned that its difficult to predict what it will really be since its the first time they are using cGPA. And they told me the decisions to apply is up to me. Very ambiguous. 

Personally I wouldn't know either. I am at a 3.87 which is still very low compared to many other applicants. However, since no MCAT is required and now the weighted values are dropped for later years I'd apply and see. It is a new change, if nothing happens you won't have the "what if I applied" haunting your shoulder. Of course if you have the money lol. My wGPA would have been 3.93 so I mean there are gonna be several applicants like me that would have benefited from the weighted calculation. YOLO my friend.

1 minute ago, Grind4MD said:

Personally I wouldn't know either. I am at a 3.87 which is still very low compared to many other applicants. However, since no MCAT is required and now the weighted values are dropped for later years I'd apply and see. It is a new change, if nothing happens you won't have the "what if I applied" haunting your shoulder. Of course if you have the money lol. My wGPA would have been 3.93 so I mean there are gonna be several applicants like me that would have benefited from the weighted calculation. YOLO my friend.

I'm in the same boat as you, oddly same cGPA and wGPA (if they stuck to this format)  - hope we get lucky this year! I also agree with your sentiments; go for the application @TheDarkPassenger if you can because I suspect the admitted average to drop by at least 0.03-0.05. They might change their mind about this cutoff. It wouldn't make sense to penalize applicants who make up for low cGPA with a solid ABS and great performance on the CASPER. 

2 minutes ago, sb88 said:

I'm in the same boat as you, oddly same cGPA and wGPA (if they stuck to this format)  - hope we get lucky this year! I also agree with your sentiments; go for the application @TheDarkPassenger if you can because I suspect the admitted average to drop by at least 0.03-0.05. They might change their mind about this cutoff. It wouldn't make sense to penalize applicants who make up for low cGPA with a solid ABS and great performance on the CASPER. 

Wow that's good to hear lol. For sure! I wish you the best as well. It is a rough process and it's also my first time applying. I only wrote the CARS section of the MCAT too for mac (luckily scored 129). I have family that live at both cities (Ottawa & Hamilton) so, those are my only schools. @TheDarkPassenger just go for it, you never know. I think the cut-off may drop a bit as well.