Premed 101 Forums

LSES Process

Hey guys, I'm a little confused as to how the LSES applicants process works (if an individual is even eligible). Specifically, does the 3.85 cGPA cut-off stand firm if you're eligible for this stream or would this vary at all (i.e. be somewhat lower)? In addition, is the LSES consideration granted pre-interview, post-interview or in both circumstances? 

15 minutes ago, sciencegirl314 said:

Hey guys, I'm a little confused as to how the LSES applicants process works (if an individual is even eligible). Specifically, does the 3.85 cGPA cut-off stand firm if you're eligible for this stream or would this vary at all (i.e. be somewhat lower)? In addition, is the LSES consideration granted pre-interview, post-interview or in both circumstances? 

Hey uOttawa's website states that the LSES is undergone through a different stream so you would likely be compared to others applying through that stream and not the general stream. This make sense since if you are declared through LSES then comparing your application to a general student who did not have barriers would be unfair. I am not sure of the GPA cut-off but, I would assume that it would be lower (similar to French stream ~3.7).  

@Grind4MD @MedicineLCS Thanks for following up! :) Both of you pointed out really great info here. I did email them but unfortunately did not receive a reply regarding this matter. I would hope that the LSES cut-off would be at least a bit lower but tough to say if they would change things up from last year. 

The wording on their website is also not very clear imo:

Each year, a minimum cumulative grade point average (cGPA) is set for the current application pool. The required minimum cGPA is 3.50/4.00 and upwards according to the following list of categories (not necessarily in this order):

• Consortium national de formation en santé (CNFS) 
  • Military Medical Training Program (MMTP) - Canadian Forces
  • Social Accountability Initiative (varies according to the different geographical status)
  • Indigenous Program
  • Francophone stream (varies according to the different geographical status) 
  • Anglophone stream (varies according to the different geographical status)

• 4 months later...