Premed 101 Forums

Invite Countdown

40 minutes ago, Danielle7716 said:

I have higher stats then everyone that has said they are rejected so far so it could be cutoffs. They are all OOP as am I and normally OOP cutoffs are much higher then IP.

I have slightly higher GPA but lower MCAT, OOP and not a really strong connection to Maritimes and I havent heard anything yet. So I would just hold on to some hope! There might be something specific they are looking for (either in the application or connections essay) so we dont really know!! 

5 minutes ago, Danielle7716 said:

Ya I assume maritime connection has played into some of the people's rejections or their other essay. I don't really have a maritime connection and haven't received a rejection with high stats so who really knows haha. Hopefully we hear soon !  

Hopefully we hear back from the school soon :) I don't have a maritime connection either, but i was sincere why its my top choice :) 

1 hour ago, Danielle7716 said:

I have higher stats then everyone that has said they are rejected so far so it could be cutoffs. They are all OOP as am I and normally OOP cutoffs are much higher then IP.

I feel like it’s not that these people didn’t meet cutoffs because for OOP minimum GPA is 3.7 and the max mcat score that someone needs is 503, and that’s if you have a 3.7 gpa. If you have a 3.9 it’s a 501 MCAT score! So who knows, maybe it’s the connections essay or something! I’m OOP and didn’t hear back today but I also have no maritimes connection

23 minutes ago, medhopeful21/22 said:

I feel like it’s not that these people didn’t meet cutoffs because for OOP minimum GPA is 3.7 and the max mcat score that someone needs is 503, and that’s if you have a 3.7 gpa. If you have a 3.9 it’s a 501 MCAT score! So who knows, maybe it’s the connections essay or something! I’m OOP and didn’t hear back today but I also have no maritimes connection

It definitely could and probably is other factors like the essays. But I am OOp and have no real maritime connection and didn't hear anything I just have high stats. I am not really talking about generals cutoffs I assume the cutoffs of who actually gets interviewed end up higher then the minimum they require.

24 minutes ago, Danielle7716 said:

It definitely could and probably is other factors like the essays. But I am OOp and have no real maritime connection and didn't hear anything I just have high stats. I am not really talking about generals cutoffs I assume the cutoffs of who actually gets interviewed end up higher then the minimum they require.

Oh yeah that’s a good point! I hope we get real answers tomorrow

52 minutes ago, sally1999 said:

What's the point of rolling rejections? To just get your hopes up only to tear them down.

Yeah I really don't see the benefit to the various schools in doing this. Perhaps they think that we'd rather find out asap rather than wait for all the replies at once, bur personally I'd rather they did one fell swoop . I'm going to ask all of them for a response on this - but not today lol 

Just to provide some insight - I got an OOP interview last year, and from my understanding, if you met the GPA and MCAT cut-off for your pool and the CASPER cut-off, the only differentiating factor in whether you were offered an interview as an OOP student was your connection essay. I know that Dal doesn't look at your extracurriculars or other personal statement until after the interview.

3 minutes ago, Goldfish1234 said:

Just to provide some insight - I got an OOP interview last year, and from my understanding, if you met the GPA and MCAT cut-off for your pool and the CASPER cut-off, the only differentiating factor in whether you were offered an interview as an OOP student was your connection essay. I know that Dal doesn't look at your extracurriculars or other personal statement until after the interview.

That’s interesting. So GPA and MCAT aren’t assessed competitively until after the interview?

Just now, naptime98 said:

That’s interesting. So GPA and MCAT aren’t assessed competitively until after the interview?

That's my understanding! When you get rejected post-interview you get an "academic score" which is a combined score composed of your MCAT and GPA. So I think the only factor is really the connection essay pre-interview. Really unfortunate to be judged on such a small piece of writing, I feel you :(

3 minutes ago, Goldfish1234 said:

That's my understanding! When you get rejected post-interview you get an "academic score" which is a combined score composed of your MCAT and GPA. So I think the only factor is really the connection essay pre-interview. Really unfortunate to be judged on such a small piece of writing, I feel you :(

Oh I would have thought that they look at everything including extracurriculars and your personal statement.

Just now, sally1999 said:

Oh I would have thought that they look at everything include extracurriculars and your personal statement.

They don't! Personal statement and extracurriculars are evaluated post-interview just like the IP students - if they were to evaluate it pre-interview it would be a bit unfair to those IP since those aren't factors in determining whether they get an interview or not.

Oh interesting I thought that they took that into account for IP students as well. Thanks for letting me know. When do you think invites will come out? Yesterday people just received rejections. :(

2 minutes ago, Goldfish1234 said:

They don't! Personal statement and extracurriculars are evaluated post-interview just like the IP students - if they were to evaluate it pre-interview it would be a bit unfair to those IP since those aren't factors in determining whether they get an interview or not.

19 minutes ago, Goldfish1234 said:

if you met the GPA and MCAT cut-off for your pool and the CASPER cut-off, the only differentiating factor in whether you were offered an interview as an OOP student was your connection essay.

Just to confirm this, I've been told the same when I applied as OoP. And its extremely subjective in how they assess these; I've seen lots of people with little to no connection score the interview and lots of those with really deep connections get rejected. Sometimes it really seems like there's little correlation between how much of a connection you actually have and getting the interview haha, so definitely can't take OoP rejection by Dal personally!

1 minute ago, TheFlyGuy said:

Just to confirm this, I've been told the same when I applied as OoP. And its extremely subjective in how they assess these; I've seen lots of people with little to no connection score the interview and lots of those with really deep connections get rejected. Sometimes it really seems like there's little correlation between how much of a connection you actually have and getting the interview, so definitely can't take OoP rejection by Dal personally!

Wait but wouldn't those who have a really deep connection then get preferential treatment? Wouldn't it then be the opposite to what you are saying?

15 minutes ago, sally1999 said:

Wait but wouldn't those who have a really deep connection then get preferential treatment? Wouldn't it then be the opposite to what you are saying?

I think he/she is just confirming the statement that the connection essays is the deciding factor but then goes onto elaborate how subjective that method is.

19 minutes ago, UalbertaG said:

I think he/she is just confirming the statement that the connection essays is the deciding factor but then goes onto elaborate how subjective that method is.

Yup pretty much; the essay is the deciding factor, but it's a highly subjective thing. The pool of people I've seen is of course anecdotal, but I've found it's really hard to predict who will get the interview and who won't based on the depth of the connection the applicant writes about alone. How well the person writes about it is obviously important too, but I've been consistently surprised by how many people with really good connections have been rejected and how often those with seemingly little/no connection score an interview. It makes me wonder exactly what they look for in these essays, so just getting at the idea that to those rejected by Dal not to take it personally if things don't work out!

3 minutes ago, TheFlyGuy said:

Yup pretty much; the essay is the deciding factor, but it's a highly subjective thing. The pool of people I've seen is of course anecdotal, but I've found it's really hard to predict who will get the interview and who won't based on the depth of the connection the applicant writes about alone. How well the person writes about it is obviously important too, but I've been consistently surprised by how many people with really good connections have been rejected and how often those with seemingly little/no connection score an interview. It makes me wonder exactly what they look for in these essays, so just getting at the idea that to those rejected by Dal not to take it personally if things don't work out!

Totally makes sense honestly I find most med applications to be subjective anyways