Premed 101 Forums

Invite Countdown

Unpopular opinion, maybe we'll expect from Dalhousie next Friday (Oct 23rd)? Technically, this week is the second week of October (since the first 3 days of October could not be counted as a "full week." And I also think this date is more or less one month from the interview date. Nevertheless, I am also anxious to know what my fate will be :( 

28 minutes ago, greysweater said:

I think on the website they said they interview between 50-100 OOP each year out of ~600 applicants. Do you guys think it will be the higher or lower this year? (aka how low yield is OOP :D)

I’m guessing they’re going to be interviewing more IP this year b/c they lowered the MCAT cut off by a lot, so I doubt they would also interview more OOP, as human resources are probably limited to some extent (they can only interview so many people in total). However who knows with it being online...might depend if they actually make the online interview MMI format or if it’s just a one way interview like how other schools did interviews when Covid made us go online! I think it’s hard to say given all these factors!

2 hours ago, anonsurfer said:

I’m guessing they’re going to be interviewing more IP this year b/c they lowered the MCAT cut off by a lot, so I doubt they would also interview more OOP, as human resources are probably limited to some extent (they can only interview so many people in total). However who knows with it being online...might depend if they actually make the online interview MMI format or if it’s just a one way interview like how other schools did interviews when Covid made us go online! I think it’s hard to say given all these factors!

I feel like the MMI interview will likely be one way because its really hard to judge interpersonal skills, non-verbal communication, etc., through a screen

Who knows though

20 minutes ago, PreMed#219099 said:

hard to judge interpersonal skills, non-verbal communication,

You know you'd think so, but after assessing videos of applicants I've realized, surprisingly, you can garner a decent amount of information about applicants in how they answer and their non-verbal cues. Yes it's different than MMI, but it works consistently across applicants if they all do it IMO. As for actual back and forth interview, I've done both video and phone job interviews for professional work and I think personality can come out quite well, but that's just my experience. Good luck to y'all!