Premed 101 Forums

How do you determine suitability and fit for a particular specialty?

I am 3rd year med student and I am interested in particular specialty ( a bit competitive/small) and know few of faculty and have done research in it. I have only done 2 week of electives in it and I am finding it hard to determine suitability / fit? I am interested in subject matter and really enjoy studying about it, and have ref letters/research in it but now questioning if I am suitable and fit for a particular residency in that specialty because of my limited experience in it...

I also probably won't be able to do more electives due to COVID restriction ( and I am in a 3 year program).. How do people make sure that they are actually suitable for a particular speciality with limited exposure? 

What do you mean by fit?

Traditionally most people did electives at 4+ locations within the same specialty (some people would load up on 6+ electives, depending on the specialty) which gave you a reasonable idea of what the atmosphere was like for all the locations around you. You won't have this luxury with COVID so all you can do is ask around.