Premed 101 Forums

Harder or easier to apply PT/OT this year?

Hi all, as a student who will be applying for PT/OT at the end of the year, I was wondering if it will get harder or easier to apply this year?
Does the PT/OT Program allow students to defer for one year? If allowed does that mean there are fewer admission seats this year?

11 hours ago, sugo said:

Hi all, as a student who will be applying for PT/OT at the end of the year, I was wondering if it will get harder or easier to apply this year?
Does the PT/OT Program allow students to defer for one year? If allowed does that mean there are fewer admission seats this year?

I just started PT at Western this year. In my experience, neither Western nor Dal were offering deferrals after having been accepted so I don't think you have to worry about reduced seats available to applicants for this cycle because of that. As well, although Western's website said they typically accept 75 students, our cohort is 80 this year so I also doubt you'll see a reduced number of seats overall. I know UoA had a page on their website saying they weren't accepting grades from winter 2020 semesters in sGPA calculations during last years application cycle, so that might impact your admissions a bit but again wouldn't be something that's a huge game changer. Overall I don't think things will be radically different for you compared to years past, other than perhaps some Zoom interviews (Dal had outright cancelled their interview process last year but I imagine they'll have had the time to implement an online interview component by now, if that's the path they want to take).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 4:20 AM, Salvatore said:

Physical therapy and occupational therapy are kinds of rehabilitative care. Though they have similar goals and treat many of the same conditions, they also differ. Physical therapy focuses on improving movement, strength, and variety of motion. While OT aims to improve the motorized skills you need to perform daily tasks.

I think they were just combining them because many people apply to both and they're both in the school of rehab science. OT isn't always physical though - it can also work on your cognitive abilities and organization, among other things.