Premed 101 Forums

Yeah the above poster is right. I only used the practice test from these companies and some of them were awful tests. I just did the Astroff one and it was a waste of time I ended up stopping halfway through cause the questions were bad. If anything just practice writing clearly and quickly. Also don’t pay for prep courses they do not help.  

6 minutes ago, hopefulpremed98 said:

Yeah the above poster is right. I only used the practice test from these companies and some of them were awful tests. I just did the Astroff one and it was a waste of time I ended up stopping halfway through cause the questions were bad. If anything just practice writing clearly and quickly. Also don’t pay for prep courses they do not help.  

I just did the first one, what about it did you have a problem with? Ive never taken the real test!

I did Astroff two or three years ago and I'll say this: I'd recommend against purchasing additional material or services from prep companies. Not only will your return on investment not be substantial, but the questions that they use aren't always reflective of the real CASPer test. I found that the Astroff scenarios were somewhat different than the CASPer scenarios, and I don't think doing them helped prepare me much at all, besides familiarizing me with the time limit and structure of the test (which you can now use the Sample Test on CASPer's website to do for free). Keep in mind that third party companies (including Astroff) also don't know how the test is scored or how the questions are developed, and they are preying on applicants' anxiety to make money. **DELETED** is actually pretty explicit about this aspect of their business model (for example, their ads for MMI prep sessions or something where they say something along the lines of "Reason 1 to be anxious about the MMI; Reason 2 to be anxious about the MMI:" etc. etc. - give me a break)

There are plenty of free CASPer-like scenarios on YouTube to help you start thinking about the types of scenarios that may be presented on the test. As I mentioned before, CASPer also released a free full-length sample test on their website to help you simulate the real thing. I can say with confidence that CASPer's Sample Test was the only test that felt the exact same/very similar to the real test in terms of scenarios/questions. Finally, there are some free scenarios offered by **DELETED** and other third party companies. Again, they don't know how the test is scored or developed, but these free materials can at least help you start thinking about the types of dilemmas that may be presented in the questions. This amount of material is sufficient for practice in my opinion.

tl;dr I found the third-party tests to be a bit different than the actual CASPer test. There are other (and better, imo) ways to prep that won't cost you money.