Premed 101 Forums

Predicted use of CASPer?

Their website definitely hints at it being used only as a cutoff. I can't imagine the school that uses GPA and MCAT as cutoffs only would go and use the CASPer competitively, but I don't know anything for sure. I could see them relaxing the GPA/MCAT requirements so that its still the same number of people that pass the "cutoffs". The only other option I see is to take the 2000 people that pass academic cutoffs, and then remove the bottom x% so that there is less work for the admissions office.

21 hours ago, naptime98 said:

Their website definitely hints at it being used only as a cutoff. I can't imagine the school that uses GPA and MCAT as cutoffs only would go and use the CASPer competitively, but I don't know anything for sure. I could see them relaxing the GPA/MCAT requirements so that its still the same number of people that pass the "cutoffs". The only other option I see is to take the 2000 people that pass academic cutoffs, and then remove the bottom x% so that there is less work for the admissions office.

With the way Queen's works, it's probably going to be closer to the latter, the GPA/MCAT cut off to get 2000 works pretty well for them, now they can further cut down and then less apps to look at. But suppose we will see once things start moving along this cycle.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to put myself in their shoes. They are facing the very real possibility -  if not inevitable at this point - of having to do virtual interviews this year and the Casper is one possible solution to trying to do MMI virtually. I know they did run 1 of the interview weekends last cycle virtually but dont know how that went. I interviewed the first weekend last cycle in person. 

If I were them, I'd use this established online test instead of trying to build the same thing on our own end then choose the top however many candidates to invite to a virtual panel interview to check for red flags (rumored to be the purpose of the panel).

13 hours ago, Ghimbo said:

I am trying to put myself in their shoes. They are facing the very real possibility -  if not inevitable at this point - of having to do virtual interviews this year and the Casper is one possible solution to trying to do MMI virtually. I know they did run 1 of the interview weekends last cycle virtually but dont know how that went. I interviewed the first weekend last cycle in person. 

If I were them, I'd use this established online test instead of trying to build the same thing on our own end then choose the top however many candidates to invite to a virtual panel interview to check for red flags (rumored to be the purpose of the panel).

This is a nice idea, but if you're suggesting that they're going to replace MMI with CASPer, I highly doubt it. First of all, this is their first time using CASPer, and I don't think they'd put that much weight on it. Also, McMaster themselves (the creators and highest praisers of CASPer) did months of statistical analysis and found that CASPer performance does not correlate with MMI performance (hence why they did their admissions as a lottery instead of using CASPer). So I really don't think Queen's is going to use CASPer in place of the MMI