Premed 101 Forums

mat leave timing

Hufflepuff

thinking about mat leave during fam med residency. obviously it is difficult to time things nicely as you can't control when exactly you'll get pregnant. If i ended up due in feb-april of R2 would i totally screw myself up for the ccfp exam? How long do you need to study? It seems like it would be a bad idea to come back and only have a few months of residency left and a short amount of time to study, or if you wait to do the exam after finishing up residency you'd have an awkward amount of time where you can't work? 

Depending on the province there can be provisional status to practice without the CCFP exam, especially if its a matter of waiting for dates to write it. I don't think you would be in a bad position after mat leave and would have time to write it. Does your residency program have a good reputation for passing, have SOO/SNAP practice? There are others I know with training gaps for mat leave or other reasons and didn't have an issue progressing. The pros to weigh having kids as a resident is you get more time with mat leave, no practice management expectations to deal with, and residency will be waiting for you when you get back.