Premed 101 Forums

1 hour ago, electrictb said:

I think your GPA is pretty good as well as your EC. I'd say that you DAT score is a little on the low side. Are you planning on taking it again?

I agree, GPA shouldn't limit you. Might recommend retaking the DAT -- PAT is fine, but yeah if you could get your AA to like 20 you would be in pretty decent shape

On 10/19/2020 at 1:30 PM, Fred VanVleet's Tooth said:

I agree, GPA shouldn't limit you. Might recommend retaking the DAT -- PAT is fine, but yeah if you could get your AA to like 20 you would be in pretty decent shape

Thank you Fred! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to register for the Nov DAT. The spots in my city were gone after 2 days. I'll try to take the Feb 2021 DAT in case I have to apply next year. 

19 hours ago, chlxealexa said:

For UofT, I haven't really seen anything less than 3.91 GPA, unless they've done their masters then I've seen ~3.87. It might change this year tho due to them becoming more holistic in terms of evaluation (i.e. CASPer, essay, personal statement).

I had a 3.84 for u of t with a one year master's

20 hours ago, chlxealexa said:

For UofT, I haven't really seen anything less than 3.91 GPA, unless they've done their masters then I've seen ~3.87. It might change this year tho due to them becoming more holistic in terms of evaluation (i.e. CASPer, essay, personal statement).

I'm currently at UofT and I applied with a 3.81 GPA with an undergrad only, albeit a very good DAT score. So you've got this OP! Work on that DAT score and you'll make it :)

I’m just basing it off what I see on the forums. I’m not trying to discredit anyone, I’m just trying to help.

I’ve seen people with less than 3.9 get interviews, but when it comes to acceptances, I haven’t seen less than 3.9 (maybe 3.89) UNLESS they have a masters. They also talk about this in the forums, that if you have a lower GPA your chances increase if you have a masters.

edit: if you are an exception to this, I would love to know because it’ll give us hope. I’m also aware that not everyone posts their stats online but yeah you get my point.

On 10/29/2020 at 1:51 PM, dentistrydmd said:

You should look into how the calculation is for each school. U of T takes your top three years, Western top two years and McGill all your years if I'm not mistaken. But there may be a difference in the conversion scale from each school, so your GPA may look better than it seems...

If you apply during your fourth year (and are planning to graduate at the end of it) I believe U of T will drop your worst year, so technically they will only be taking your top two years as well. 

On 10/29/2020 at 4:51 PM, dentistrydmd said:

You should look into how the calculation is for each school. U of T takes your top three years, Western top two years and McGill all your years if I'm not mistaken. But there may be a difference in the conversion scale from each school, so your GPA may look better than it seems...

Thank you so much!

I have briefly looked at each schools' GPA calculation method. My GPA trend is pretty flat lol. I'm in my last year, but have been in school for 2 chronological years as I also took many summer courses to graduate early. McGill's system showed me 3.87. 

3 hours ago, Undergrad45 said:

If you apply during your fourth year (and are planning to graduate at the end of it) I believe U of T will drop your worst year, so technically they will only be taking your top two years as well. 

Thank you so much!

I'm in my last year, but have been in school for 2 chronological years as I also took many summer courses to graduate early. 

On 10/30/2020 at 9:42 PM, Undergrad45 said:

U of T changed it to top two years?? I would verify that since I thought it was top three years they looked at.

21 hours ago, bubblebear123 said:

Thank you so much!

I have briefly looked at each schools' GPA calculation method. My GPA trend is pretty flat lol. I'm in my last year, but have been in school for 2 chronological years as I also took many summer courses to graduate early. McGill's system showed me 3.87. 

Because you took summer courses you may be evaluated at a different level than other applicants, which I believe will be a positive for you if you took a more intense course load. Having a good CV would help a lot for McGill. 

On 10/31/2020 at 6:49 PM, dentistrydmd said:

U of T changed it to top two years?? I would verify that since I thought it was top three years they looked at.

I was also uncertain about it but after reading the website that's what it seems like:

"The worst academic year will be dropped from the calculation of an applicant's cumulative grade point average provided that (a) the applicant has completed four or more years of university education by May 31st of the proposed year of entry, and (b) the year with the lowest grades is not the applicant's last year of study"

So if you're in your fourth year when you apply and complete it by May of the proposed year of entry, they'll drop you worst year, and you'll only have two years of grades to be assessed on (assuming 4th year grades are not used, of course). That's what I got from it, but I may be wrong so emailing the admissions office could always help confirm for anyone unsure :)