Premed 101 Forums

Hey guys, I'm still hesitating on whether to do the snapshot. I know McMaster don't care but both Ottawa and queens told me they will look at it if it is taken. And Ottawa told me specifically it is HIGHLY recommended, and I'm no sure what that means. I wonder if there's any penalty if I choose not to complete it for Ottawa? Anyone on the same boat or decided to not do it already?

hey!! :) i'm also on the fence and unsure about whether to do it or not :/ i think i'm leaning toward doing it just because i feel weird about leaving it incomplete and i'm hoping that submitting it can't hurt?? (although i'm not confident in my interviewing skills at all so...... yikes)

also did queens tell you that they would look at snapshot in an email or something? i know ottawa has it listed as "optional" now but since queens had their snapshot listing as "not required" i was under the impression that they wouldn't be looking at it at all :o

and regarding the suit concern, please don't worry, i personally don't think that would matter at all!! (i would really hope that if someone did watch and evaluate your snapshot submission in some way, they wouldn't judge you on something so superficial) also i'm not even sure if formal dress (i.e., a suit with a blazer) is really required? personally i think i might wear a blouse or just something that errs on the side of business casual and try to not have a bedhead :p (but i'm definitely not an expert on the ideal attire to wear or anything haha)

On 10/27/2020 at 1:36 AM, tennie said:

hey!! :) i'm also on the fence and unsure about whether to do it or not :/ i think i'm leaning toward doing it just because i feel weird about leaving it incomplete and i'm hoping that submitting it can't hurt?? (although i'm not confident in my interviewing skills at all so...... yikes)

also did queens tell you that they would look at snapshot in an email or something? i know ottawa has it listed as "optional" now but since queens had their snapshot listing as "not required" i was under the impression that they wouldn't be looking at it at all :o

and regarding the suit concern, please don't worry, i personally don't think that would matter at all!! (i would really hope that if someone did watch and evaluate your snapshot submission in some way, they wouldn't judge you on something so superficial) also i'm not even sure if formal dress (i.e., a suit with a blazer) is really required? personally i think i might wear a blouse or just something that errs on the side of business casual and try to not have a bedhead :p (but i'm definitely not an expert on the ideal attire to wear or anything haha)

Man appreciate the encouragement, yeah I'm leaning toward doing it but will see how comfortable I get with the camera Bering practicing a little everyday, if it is not as ideal as I want then I may skip. 

And for queens yes, I emailed to ask whether they require snapshot, they responded that they don't require it, but if we do choose to complete it they will review it

I didnt know Queen's would review it.

The only school I applied for that needed casper was Queens but I did the snapshot for practice in case next year they decide to require it.

At least I put on a nice shirt just in case... wish they would have been more clear about that.

From Casper it defined "not required" as - is not involved in their admissions process at all. Queens should have put it as recommended or optional if they are going to look at them.

Hey there! 

I had to do the Snapshot for Dal and I honestly don't think that they will be looking at your outfit vs what you are saying. It is pretty short - just three 2 minute videos so they really will only have time to listen to what you're saying. I honestly just wore a long sleeved shirt, not really business casual even but I felt comfortable and knew it looked like I didn't just throw something on. I did make sure my hair was brushed though lol. My approach to not over dressing was that if I felt comfortable, I would be more honest and open with my answers. But thats just my experience!! 

Hope this helps :)

I know it's tough to find it in you to choose to do something that isn't necessary and you don't really want to do, but in my opinion, I would absolutely do it. This is completely my personal opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but if they're giving you the opportunity to show yourself and why you deserve to be in their program, I think it kinda looks bad on you if you don't do it. Even if they say it's not required, these are real people reviewing your files and bias will be there whether it should be or not. If you had two similar candidates and one put in the effort to do snapshot and one didn't, subconsciously the adcom is probably going to favour the one who did snapshot because they put in the extra effort, which is something they like to see.

Again, just my opinion, but if they've told you it's highly recommended then it's not only in your benefit to do it, but it might even look bad on you if you don't. Take every chance you get to show yourself off to them

On 10/28/2020 at 3:24 PM, Ghimbo said:

I didnt know Queen's would review it.

The only school I applied for that needed casper was Queens but I did the snapshot for practice in case next year they decide to require it.

At least I put on a nice shirt just in case... wish they would have been more clear about that.

From Casper it defined "not required" as - is not involved in their admissions process at all. Queens should have put it as recommended or optional if they are going to look at them.

Yeah they should've made it more clear, but as someone else said it's probably just for their own benefit to evaluate the benefit of the option but won't affect the application as much unless it's super good or bad I feel. Good luck with queens!

On 10/28/2020 at 5:06 PM, BigDreamer said:

Hey there! 

I had to do the Snapshot for Dal and I honestly don't think that they will be looking at your outfit vs what you are saying. It is pretty short - just three 2 minute videos so they really will only have time to listen to what you're saying. I honestly just wore a long sleeved shirt, not really business casual even but I felt comfortable and knew it looked like I didn't just throw something on. I did make sure my hair was brushed though lol. My approach to not over dressing was that if I felt comfortable, I would be more honest and open with my answers. But thats just my experience!! 

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for sharing! I'm hoping I can lose enough weight by tmr to not feel my collar is tight haha. And from another thread someone said Dal use it for other purposes but not for determining interview invites apparently at least not this year. Not sure if it's true but it seems reasonable and doing it may not be bad like no one knows exactly how we did in Casper could boost our app just in case

4 hours ago, Psych said:

I know it's tough to find it in you to choose to do something that isn't necessary and you don't really want to do, but in my opinion, I would absolutely do it. This is completely my personal opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but if they're giving you the opportunity to show yourself and why you deserve to be in their program, I think it kinda looks bad on you if you don't do it. Even if they say it's not required, these are real people reviewing your files and bias will be there whether it should be or not. If you had two similar candidates and one put in the effort to do snapshot and one didn't, subconsciously the adcom is probably going to favour the one who did snapshot because they put in the extra effort, which is something they like to see.

Again, just my opinion, but if they've told you it's highly recommended then it's not only in your benefit to do it, but it might even look bad on you if you don't. Take every chance you get to show yourself off to them

Appreciate the opinion!