Premed 101 Forums

Radiology Fellowship - US or Canada?

Howdy, 

Hope everyone is hanging in there...

I am a Canadian PGY4 radiology resident in the States applying to Body fellowship. Eventually plan on coming back to Canada (Vancouver?) to practice. Wondering if its better to take a "big name" US body fellowship to get more MR experience or do a fellowship in Canada to build contacts for job prospects?

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2020 at 6:11 PM, brolias said:

Howdy, 

Hope everyone is hanging in there...

I am a Canadian PGY4 radiology resident in the States applying to Body fellowship. Eventually plan on coming back to Canada (Vancouver?) to practice. Wondering if its better to take a "big name" US body fellowship to get more MR experience or do a fellowship in Canada to build contacts for job prospects?

It depends, and on many factors.  For one, what is the skillset required/desired, of the group that you wish to join?  Academic vs. community can be quite different.  Also, many fellows already have jobs secured and their group will request that they receive fellowship training in a certain area.  That was one factor which guided my choice of fellowship, for example.  Completing a fellowship in a centre where you'd eventually like to work is a good way to become familiar with the group, and most importantly, them you.  (The latter point can be positive or negative!)