Premed 101 Forums

University of Manitoba 2nd Time Reapplicant

Hello,

Looking for some advice/insight as to whether or not I need to retake my MCAT to be more competitive for admission to the University of Manitoba. I'm an in-province nontrad working full time. I scored a 508 at 2nd sitting (502 in 2019, 1st sitting of 2015 version) and have a 3.55/4.0 GPA or 3.84 on U of M's on 4.5 scale. I also have both the rural and socioeconomic coefficients if that info is of any use. I applied for 2021 admission and I'm not overly confident about my chances compared to the 2019/2020 cycle that ended in rejection. The reason I need to decide soon is I still have access to some of my old study resources like UWorld which I didn't have time to complete before I took the exam in August.

Any input from anyone? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

508 is doable if you rock the MMI but with your GPA you need to hit top 90% for a waitlist spot and almost 95% to get in directly. Even moving up a single point will help because the MCAT is worth so much in the calculation. Also, the U of M only looks at your highest MCAT, so if you blew it and went down, they look at your 508, but if you get a 510, you have a much better chance of getting in.

• 2 months later...
On 11/7/2020 at 9:09 AM, Azwaa said:

508 is doable if you rock the MMI but with your GPA you need to hit top 90% for a waitlist spot and almost 95% to get in directly. Even moving up a single point will help because the MCAT is worth so much in the calculation. Also, the U of M only looks at your highest MCAT, so if you blew it and went down, they look at your 508, but if you get a 510, you have a much better chance of getting in.

Thank you for your response. It turns out you were absolutely right about my stats as I didn't get an invitation to interview. I did, however, notice that others with similar GPA and only slightly higher MCAT scores (511, 512) were invited so this is the part of my application that I need to remedy.