Premed 101 Forums

1 minute ago, NB9718 said:

IP Rejection (NB)

MCAT: 505

GPA: 3.7 (UNB And MPH at MUN)

Felt confident about CASPER, and did not receive the email about not meeting the requirement. Also received a rejection from MUN and think that CASPER may be the cause, although I have not heard from either school. Does anyone know the email address that we should contact?

Thanks for your help everyone, good luck and I'll see you again next year!

medicine.admissions@dal.ca  

It may take some time for you to receive a response. Sorry to hear about the rejection.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey all - saw the confusion in the other thread. I just got my rejection as well. Thought I’d keep it organized. 3.8 GPA & 518 MCAT (OOP)

Sorry to hear about the rejections everyone. If this is truly what you want, don't give up! Given that Dal recently changed their MCAT requirements, I imagine there's been a steep increase in app

Although I definitely understand the frustration from a lot of the OOP applicants, please try not to let it get to you personally! Applying to OOP med schools is such a low percentage payoff statistic

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, JLLP said:

I had to submit information on where I lived but no hard requirements such as an ID.

Time Stamp: Thursday, October 29, 2020 - 2:04pm

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 509 (127/127/127/128)

IP/OOP: IP

Rejected....

I thought that all IP would get an invite for meeting cut-offs, in their rejection letter they say that the reason is because they have a lot of NON-MARITIME applicant??? But I am IP so I am really confused... I am wondering if they considered me as OOP by error? I sent them an email and hopefully waiting for a response.....

I also simply submitted information on where I lived but no ID was asked

Sorry to hear about the rejections everyone. If this is truly what you want, don't give up!

Given that Dal recently changed their MCAT requirements, I imagine there's been a steep increase in applicants, and thus some stiff competition. Not to mention all the many ways the pandemic has affected our lives...

Regardless, just being able to apply is such a privilege. Not many people can even get to this stage. Keep your head high!

OOP Rejection :(

3.8 GPA/513 MCAT, decent ECs and employment

My maritimes connection is that I have been declared as  a Permanent Resident (PR) in New Brunswick last year, and am currently living in New Brunswick - thought this was a really strong connection. Hoping to apply again next cycle as I can get IP status! I'm in my 4th year as well, so hopefully I can boost my GPA this year.

R - (OOP)

MCAT: 512

Maritime connection: Not the strongest/most direct connection, but I definitely put a ton of effort into the essay. I felt pretty good about it and connected it to a lot of tangible experiences I had that were relevant to maritime issues, and several users on this site were nice enough to help me with crafting it. Man, I just want to be able to receive an interview for once lol.

Definitely disappointing, but I cannot believe some of the people that have gotten rejected today. Meeting the IP cutoffs apparently isn't an automatic interview, and plenty of OOP applicants with strong connections and phenomenal stats have been rejected. Wow. The Canadian med school game is just too much sometimes.

IP (NS) rejection

MCAT: 509

Casper felt good.

Non-trad applicant: 13 years of service with the Canadian Forces 

I am emailing Dal today to follow up, as I am sure many others are also. Reading this thread, it seems that quite a few other IP applicants were also rejected despite meeting the GPA/MCAT cut offs and not receiving a Casper rejection earlier in the season. I would be interested in hearing from others in the same situation, and if they hear any response back from Dal.

Congratulations to all those who received interview invites today!!

Just now, sr9 said:

Am I crazy or did the website used to say that the Casper cutoff was 1 (or maybe 1.5?) standard deviations below the mean but now says it "will be adjusted annually depending on interview capacity and the size of the applicant pool"? For some reason I thought that they had a specified number before.

You're not crazy, I definitely remember this as well. 1.5 below SD, I even calculated the percentile for this.

9 minutes ago, sr9 said:

Am I crazy or did the website used to say that the Casper cutoff was 1 (or maybe 1.5?) standard deviations below the mean but now says it "will be adjusted annually depending on interview capacity and the size of the applicant pool"? For some reason I thought that they had a specified number before.

That is absolutely what it used to say. This is the second year in a row that Dal has retroactively changed the wording on part of the admissions criteria after the admission cycle closed. It’s so fucking unethical man.

1 minute ago, Willy Wonka Golden Ticket said:

That is absolutely what it used to say. This is the second year in a row that Dal has retroactively changed the wording on part of the admissions criteria after the admission cycle closed. It’s so fucking unethical man.

I wonder if this means that they used CASPer to screen some people out above that original 1.5 SD below the average cutoff?

Oh hmm that's really interesting... crazy to think that the OOP 3.9+ and 510+ applicants all had CASPer below whatever cutoff dalhousie had decided for this cycle, even if they made the cutoff the mean score instead of 1.5 SD below it. I'd be really interested to know how big a role CASPER played in this year's cycle... @all OOPs that received an interview: how did CASPER go for you guys? Would you consider it one of the strengths of your app?

12 minutes ago, 09mmd15 said:

Oh hmm that's really interesting... crazy to think that the OOP 3.9+ and 510+ applicants all had CASPer below whatever cutoff dalhousie had decided for this cycle, even if they made the cutoff the mean score instead of 1.5 SD below it. I'd be really interested to know how big a role CASPER played in this year's cycle... @all OOPs that received an interview: how did CASPER go for you guys? Would you consider it one of the strengths of your app?

I think OOP was still dependent on the maritimes connection essay rather than CASPer. I think the CASPer cutoff can be used to explain IP rejects, who are supposed to be guaranteed an interview once they pass cutoff.

14 minutes ago, 09mmd15 said:

I think my CASPer was strong.  I was in the top quartile for my US test (only received quartile ranking, not score) and would think that my Cdn test would be similar.  

For my essay, I really tied it into why the population in the area that I would be serving is of interest to me, not just what the connection was.

OOP Applicant - Interview Invite 

MCAT: 508 

Dal GPA: 3.7

Casper: felt okay about it

Maritime Connection Essay: I've never been there but I wrote about my experiences working with physicians now practicing in the Maritimes as well as my interest in global health.

My second time applying to Dal and this is my first Canadian Med school invite. Posting here because I used to look at these forums and think I would never even be considered for an interview. Congrats to everyone who received an interview and good luck!  

If anyone is interested in doing MMI prep together, please feel free to reach out!