Premed 101 Forums

Question regarding FM+1 in EM

pandaman

Hello,

I just wanted to get some insight into if it's a thing or if there are docs who have done the FM+1 in EM that practiced EM for some time and later switched to work or open up their own clinic (FM). Based on reading some stuff on this forum it seems like burnout and physical strain is a real thing in EM and I heard in general it's not a good idea to juggle both at the same time. So, I just want to know if switching from EM to FM is a thing doctors do or if it even is possible after years of working in the ED. Also assuming there was interest to work in both fields (not just EM).

Thank you

On 10/27/2020 at 10:54 PM, pandaman said:

Hello,

I just wanted to get some insight into if it's a thing or if there are docs who have done the FM+1 in EM that practiced EM for some time and later switched to work or open up their own clinic (FM). Based on reading some stuff on this forum it seems like burnout and physical strain is a real thing in EM and I heard in general it's not a good idea to juggle both at the same time. So, I just want to know if switching from EM to FM is a thing doctors do or if it even is possible after years of working in the ED. Also assuming there was interest to work in both fields (not just EM).

Thank you

Why do you feel it wouldn't be possible? You have an active family medicine license, so there is no limitations, other than self-imposed.

That said, after doing Emerg for a while, you're general family medicine skills will fade, and instead of quitting emerg all together to do FM clinic....most would just take less EM shifts (as they have built seniority by that point likely) and still probably make as much on a hours-worked basis compared to if they were doing FM(province dependent).     Everything is dependent on your comfort level and willingness to sit down and re-learn through CME and self-study general family medicine scope of practice. Getting up to date etc.

1 hour ago, JohnGrisham said:

Why do you feel it wouldn't be possible? You have an active family medicine license, so there is no limitations, other than self-imposed.

That said, after doing Emerg for a while, you're general family medicine skills will fade, and instead of quitting emerg all together to do FM clinic....most would just take less EM shifts (as they have built seniority by that point likely) and still probably make as much on a hours-worked basis compared to if they were doing FM(province dependent).     Everything is dependent on your comfort level and willingness to sit down and re-learn through CME and self-study general family medicine scope of practice. Getting up to date etc.

Weren't there recent CPSO regulations around change of scope assessments if you've only done ER exclusively as a FM? I swear I remember something like that coming out but I could be wrong. (And apologies for the Ontario-centric view as it may not apply to everyone on this forum)

22 minutes ago, blah1234 said:

Weren't there recent CPSO regulations around change of scope assessments if you've only done ER exclusively as a FM? I swear I remember something like that coming out but I could be wrong. (And apologies for the Ontario-centric view as it may not apply to everyone on this forum)

Very well could be! Province specific. I can see those types of regulations coming in, but i think in FM in general - scope is so wide, as long as you can show reasonable training and upkeep with CME...it would be very contentious in limiting access to FM docs. Perhaps something on paper, but not as onerous in reality? Can't comment as im not familiar with said regulations for Ontario.

7 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Very well could be! Province specific. I can see those types of regulations coming in, but i think in FM in general - scope is so wide, as long as you can show reasonable training and upkeep with CME...it would be very contentious in limiting access to FM docs. Perhaps something on paper, but not as onerous in reality? Can't comment as im not familiar with said regulations for Ontario.

Yea, I wish I knew more but I know colleagues that have taken up (minor) clinic roles to avoid this change of scope hassle (assuming I'm remembering our hallway gossip correctly)

I suppose for the students here it might be worth looking into if you are considering this path in Ontario as we have some random strict policies that don't really exist in other provinces.