Premed 101 Forums

Chance Me Please?

Current prairies (MB) nontraditional student with 3.55/4.0 GPA and 508 MCAT which I will be retaking in January 2021. Is it worthwhile to apply to Ontario Schools? Also completed research-based MSc. in Human Anatomy & Cell Science at U of Manitoba with 1st author publication and 2 others as co-author. My issue is OMSAS GPA when I calculate it only comes out to be 3.1 since I graduated from a US school that uses 4.0 scale so I got stuck with a  sucky band for my calculation (#8 I believe). What are my chances in Ontario? I know U of Manitoba is likely my best bet but want to cast a wide net.

Calculate your wGPA for Queens & Western. For western if you have two years above 3.7 you could apply (depending on your MCAT breakdown), for queens if you have a 3.8 in your last two years than you could apply assuming you have a pretty even MCAT score. I would say you don't have a shot at any other schools in Ontario because of your GPA. Keep in mind that Ontario schools get between 4 and 5 thousand applicants a year for a couple of hundred spots meaning that they have fairly high and strict academic cutoffs. Being a resident of Manitoba makes U of M your best shot by far.

On 10/28/2020 at 11:50 AM, naptime98 said:

Calculate your wGPA for Queens & Western. For western if you have two years above 3.7 you could apply (depending on your MCAT breakdown), for queens if you have a 3.8 in your last two years than you could apply assuming you have a pretty even MCAT score. I would say you don't have a shot at any other schools in Ontario because of your GPA. Keep in mind that Ontario schools get between 4 and 5 thousand applicants a year for a couple of hundred spots meaning that they have fairly high and strict academic cutoffs. Being a resident of Manitoba makes U of M your best shot by far.

Thanks for your insight. It confirms what I was thinking all ahead. About 2 years ago my husband wanted to move to Ontario and I said I wouldn't give up my MB residency until I got my PR and applied a few times as it's by far my best chance so thanks for corroborating that for me.