Premed 101 Forums

OOP Chances?

I was wondering what my chances may be for OOP? This is my first time applying, and looking at the MCAT minimums for OOP, they seem to fluctuate every year (one year had 516 min, another had 521). Didn't get any interviews IP Ontario last year unfortunately. Would appreciate getting a rough estimate of my chances, although CASPer has come into play this year!

AGPA: 4.338

MCAT: 519 (129 CARS)

CASPer: felt better than last year, but we all know how we feel doesn't matter...

I’d say it’s going to be a real uphill battle for you. Definitely don’t count on an interview, considering both your MCAT and GPA are below the average interviewed numbers for OOP in the last few years. Considering these two combined are worth 70% of the pre interview score it’s definitely going to be tough to make up for it with CASPer.

2 hours ago, naptime98 said:

I’d say it’s going to be a real uphill battle for you. Definitely don’t count on an interview, considering both your MCAT and GPA are below the average interviewed numbers for OOP in the last few years. Considering these two combined are worth 70% of the pre interview score it’s definitely going to be tough to make up for it with CASPer.

I see, thanks for the honest feedback! Pretty discouraging but all I can do is try I guess :(

7 hours ago, MMK said:

I see, thanks for the honest feedback! Pretty discouraging but all I can do is try I guess :(

Hey sorry, I didn’t mean to come off as harsh, I wrote that when I was pretty tired last night. I just want to be clear that you should be more than proud of your stats, they are extremely impressive. The problem is Manitoba OOP is just so hard to get in to. Only applicants with 90+ percentile MCATS and really good GPAs even apply, and then from that pool they take the top ~10% and interview them. It’s certainly not impossible for you to get an interview but it will be tough. But honestly, an OOP interview at Manitoba is one of the more impressive admission achievements in all of Canadian medical school admissions, so don’t fault yourself if it doesn’t work out. I’m in a very similar boat to you, and have been feeling the same way recently. Keep your head up, with those stats you’ll get in somewhere if you keep trying.

3 hours ago, naptime98 said:

Hey sorry, I didn’t mean to come off as harsh, I wrote that when I was pretty tired last night. I just want to be clear that you should be more than proud of your stats, they are extremely impressive. The problem is Manitoba OOP is just so hard to get in to. Only applicants with 90+ percentile MCATS and really good GPAs even apply, and then from that pool they take the top ~10% and interview them. It’s certainly not impossible for you to get an interview but it will be tough. But honestly, an OOP interview at Manitoba is one of the more impressive admission achievements in all of Canadian medical school admissions, so don’t fault yourself if it doesn’t work out. I’m in a very similar boat to you, and have been feeling the same way recently. Keep your head up, with those stats you’ll get in somewhere if you keep trying.

No worries at all! All of admissions definitely feels discouraging these days, I definitely feel the same way. I wish you all the best in your applications as well!

I would say you have a decent chance at an interview. Looking at last years stats, someone with a 516 got an interview. Also, i have heard that as an OOP applicant if you get an interview it is very likely that you will get in because so many OOP applicants decline admission (and go to a different med school). Link to previous years stats: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/health_sciences/medicine/admissions/8831.html

19 minutes ago, string said:

I would say you have a decent chance at an interview. Looking at last years stats, someone with a 516 got an interview. Also, i have heard that as an OOP applicant if you get an interview it is very likely that you will get in because so many OOP applicants decline admission (and go to a different med school). Link to previous years stats: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/health_sciences/medicine/admissions/8831.html

Thanks, that's a bit reassuring! I also was trying to base my chances on the MCAT minimums, so hopefully they don't fluctuate too much from previous years now that CASPer is considered as well.

3 hours ago, string said:

516 is nowhere near a competitive OOP MCAT for Manitoba. That applicant likely had a 4.5 GPA, mindblowing CASPER, and significant points for under the academic and rural attributes. 

I'm saying this a 520 MCAT OOP applicant to Manitoba. I submitted an application, but based on stats I looked at afterwards, it's not very likely I'll score an interview.

On 10/31/2020 at 1:14 PM, AgentBond said:

516 is nowhere near a competitive OOP MCAT for Manitoba. That applicant likely had a 4.5 GPA, mindblowing CASPER, and significant points for under the academic and rural attributes. 

I'm saying this a 520 MCAT OOP applicant to Manitoba. I submitted an application, but based on stats I looked at afterwards, it's not very likely I'll score an interview.

Never said it was competitive. I said OP has a decent chance at an interview. You dont have to have a 525/4.5 to get an OOP interview. Average of applicants who get interview invites tends to be 523/4.4 and you dont need to be average, you just have to be better than the lowest z score. You dont think it is safe to assume there will be a few 520/4.3 applicants to get an interview? 

5 hours ago, string said:

Never said it was competitive. I said OP has a decent chance at an interview. You dont have to have a 525/4.5 to get an OOP interview. Average of applicants who get interview invites tends to be 523/4.4 and you dont need to be average, you just have to be better than the lowest z score. You dont think it is safe to assume there will be a few 520/4.3 applicants to get an interview? 

You're right, I guess I was being too semantic over a "decent chance".