Premed 101 Forums

Urgent question CV

Byolo

Hello,
If you can answer before midnight today I would be very thankful.

I just saw that we cannot put our name into the CV. How should I cite my publications then? Do I have to put something else instead of my name. Will McGill change the name of the file when they will receive it?

Thank you!

McGill doesn't care about filename - on the webpage they even suggest that you put your first and last name in the filename, but they also say that it doesn't matter.

As for the publications, I'm not sure. I don't have any solo publications, so I just left my last name/first initial in there assuming that it would be drowned out by all the other authors and they wouldn't notice. Now I'm wondering if I should replace my name with [student number] or something.

7 hours ago, Byolo said:

Hello,
If you can answer before midnight today I would be very thankful.

I just saw that we cannot put our name into the CV. How should I cite my publications then? Do I have to put something else instead of my name. Will McGill change the name of the file when they will receive it?

Thank you!

Where do you saw that?? I have put my name

48 minutes ago, Canadian123 said:

I also put my name so now I'm worried too lol. I put my first initial and last name and bolded it with the author authors to demonstrate I was first author. Will this be a problem?

So I actually went back and replaced my name in the citation with my student number, but I emailed admissions to see if that was okay. I just received the following reply:

"I am writing to reassure you that this is fine. Note that we redact any names in the publication section for our raters, but if we need to verify anything in the office we can look up your name with your student ID."

So it looks like you're fine either way because they process names out of the CVs before the raters see them.

3 hours ago, Vons said:

So I actually went back and replaced my name in the citation with my student number, but I emailed admissions to see if that was okay. I just received the following reply:

"I am writing to reassure you that this is fine. Note that we redact any names in the publication section for our raters, but if we need to verify anything in the office we can look up your name with your student ID."

So it looks like you're fine either way because they process names out of the CVs before the raters see them.

Great! Honestly I've found McGill to be the easiest school to apply to. OMSAS was such a headache lol

Well, they wrote in the instructions to ensure only the McGill ID appears on the first page. I guess this means they want the name to be omitted, although they didn’t explicitly state that.

I don’t know how having the name included would affect their evaluation. They’re probably just trying to be as impartial/neutral by looking at a number as opposed to a name.