Premed 101 Forums

Hey guys, congrats to those who have finished the application process! I know this is a super redundant post, but if anyone could tell me what my chances are looking like, I would really, really appreciate it... if I'm headed for rejections, I hope to be able to prepare myself for them.
MCAT is 514: 127/127/128/132
2YGPA: 3.88 (cumulative is 3.61)
My extracurriculars are strong - awards, president of large non profit, accessibility research, etc.

I've applied to Western, Queens and Mac... any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
3 hours ago, Althervi said:
Hey guys, congrats to those who have finished the application process! I know this is a super redundant post, but if anyone could tell me what my chances are looking like, I would really, really appreciate it... if I'm headed for rejections, I hope to be able to prepare myself for them.
My extracurriculars are strong - awards, president of large non profit, accessibility research, etc.

I've applied to Western, Queens and Mac... any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Possibly low with that CARS score and cGPA, however, Western is only cutoffs so if your ECs are good, it could be solid. 

22 hours ago, Althervi said:

I think you have a decent but not fantastic chance at all of them- depending on CASPer!

Mac: Your CARS and GPA for Mac are around middle-tier or perhaps a bit on the lower end, but with a good casper score an interview is definitely possible

Western: As mentioned already, they use GPA and MCAT as cutoffs so you should be good there- you definitely meet the GPA cutoff and you should meet the MCAT cutoffs based on last year but there is a chance you may not make the cutoffs if they go up this year, so be prepared for that

Queen's: very similar to Western, they also use GPA and MCAT as a cutoff but unlike Western they don't publish what they are, so we can only speculate based on past results. They tend to be similar to western (except GPA is a bit higher, usually around 3.8 instead of 3.7). In any event, you probably meet their cutoffs but there's also a chance the MCAT ones could go up in which case you won't. They also used CASPer for the first time this year so who knows how that will play in.

TL;DR Mac is dependent on CASPer, Queen's and Western you're on the edge of their cutoffs but you made last year's so you should be okay but we never know

7 minutes ago, Psych said:

I think you have a decent but not fantastic chance at all of them- depending on CASPer!

Mac: Your CARS and GPA for Mac are around middle-tier or perhaps a bit on the lower end, but with a good casper score an interview is definitely possible

Western: As mentioned already, they use GPA and MCAT as cutoffs so you should be good there- you definitely meet the GPA cutoff and you should meet the MCAT cutoffs based on last year but there is a chance you may not make the cutoffs if they go up this year, so be prepared for that

Queen's: very similar to Western, they also use GPA and MCAT as a cutoff but unlike Western they don't publish what they are, so we can only speculate based on past results. They tend to be similar to western (except GPA is a bit higher, usually around 3.8 instead of 3.7). In any event, you probably meet their cutoffs but there's also a chance the MCAT ones could go up in which case you won't. They also used CASPer for the first time this year so who knows how that will play in.

TL;DR Mac is dependent on CASPer, Queen's and Western you're on the edge of their cutoffs but you made last year's so you should be okay but we never know

Thank you for the message, this is very helpful! I think I'll go into it assuming I didn't get in.. would you have any advice for what I should focus on this year to improve my chances? Thanks again!!!

No worries!! As for next year, you said your ECs are strong and they look pretty good so I wouldn't worry too much about that- although it is good to continue some or all of them if possible as med schools do like to see long-term commitment. Your 2 year GPA is pretty good but the cumulative is on the low side, so if you have the ability to raise your GPA that would definitely help you- but if you're already graduated personally I don't think it would be worth it in your case to back to undergrad (unless you really want to) since the 2 year one is pretty good. Some schools also take a 3 year GPA, so that might be something to look into.

Other than that, the only thing you could do is re-take the MCAT- your score is not bad at all but a higher CARS especially can help you a lot for Mac, and ensure that you meet the cutoffs for other schools! I hope this helps