Premed 101 Forums

BPE word limit

22 hours ago, cupcakes10545 said:

Hey guys!

I just noticed that the character limit did not correspond to the word limit required. If some of my essays are over the limit, does my application get voided? Or do I get penalized? Can anyone who's done this before elaborate? 

Thanks!

The answer is no. In one of the adcom videos, one of the officers said that being a couple words over is no big deal and doesn't get auto-flagged. However, she also said that if it is noticeably over the word limit (e.g - 20-50+ words over), it'll leave a bad impression on the reviewer..

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 5:14 PM, scoobydoo1623 said:

The answer is no. In one of the adcom videos, one of the officers said that being a couple words over is no big deal and doesn't get auto-flagged. However, she also said that if it is noticeably over the word limit (e.g - 20-50+ words over), it'll leave a bad impression on the reviewer..

Yeah but does the word count include words like “I” and “a” and periods and commas (I don’t think these two latter things would be included in the word count anyway).

And did they say that “noticeably over” meant 20-50+ words. 20 words isn’t really noticeable when scanning paragraphs in the range of 250 words and only really is helpful to finish a thought. 50 words would be noticeable though.