Premed 101 Forums

I need an honest assessment

Hello all, 

I am returning applicant to UBC. Last year I interviewed but received a rejection post interview. My stats are as follows:

- aGPA: 86.71

- MCAT: 509 (130/129/125/125) CARS is 125

My stats from last year are: average interview, pre-interview score ~53 (right on BC resident cut-off), NAQ 50-75th percentile. I am PhD graduate with plenty of non-academic attributes which I believe what got me an interview in the first place. I am aware of it is an uphill battle but how difficult do you guys think it is?

Here's a gestalt view: you're (slightly) below average in GPA, and 5 points below average in overall MCAT score. Slightly above average NAQ (although NAQ will fluctuate every year, based on the pool - be cognizant of this).

I'd recommend an MCAT rewrite for a 514+ if possible for you and/or reflect on your interview style for improvements. Either of these might push you over the edge for an acceptance. Otherwise, there's not much else to do other than apply again. Every year is a different pool of applicants, with different reviewers and interviewers. Your score may drastically go up or down the following year. Nature of the system, the only fair aspect is that everyone has to go through it.

Hopefully you receive more useful responses than mine.

@Pterygoid @sorrynotsorry thanks for the prompt feedback guys. I will likely re-write the MCAT for next year. I had/have too much faith in the holistic view that UBC claims in the post-interview stage. IF an interview is granted, my understanding from this is that my only hope is to be at the high end of the "above average" interview scorers.

@built2build Best of luck to you.

I would also advise you to write the MCAT again (and I know that is hard to hear). I had to write it a few times. 

I have friends who were rejected with above average interviews who's grades and MCAT scores were similar to yours, they did not have a PhD though. 

I'll bet a higher MCAT score and/or an above average interview would really help. :) 

On 11/8/2020 at 10:03 PM, Pterygoid said:

the only fair aspect is that everyone has to go through it.

Truer words were never spoken aha; honestly the best advice you can get imo. Your NAQ score can vary wildly just due to who reads your app from year to year, and overall there's a lot of randomness. But if you got an interview once it can happen again, and your stats are by no means hopeless considering that you're IP. So if med is your passion then I think the best advice that anyone can give you is to write the app as best you can, do the MCAT rewrite if possible, shoot your shot and never look back (but also to keep a plan B in the back of your head just in case, which is true for everyone) :)

Your GPA is good – that's really the one thing that's almost set in stone and can break your application consistently for multiple years, but you're not in that position. 

I think the MCAT is the easiest thing to redo (albeit CARS is the hardest of the MCAT sections to improve but also the most emphasized) and so a 125 in CARS definitely rings some alarm bells. I don't think a rewrite in the summer would prevent you from getting in adequate MMI prep either, which usually happens in the immediate month(s) before the interview.

I know some people who definitely were "over-prepared" for their interviews last year, becoming hampered by inorganic sentence structures and excessive examples from medical ethics books.