Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances? And how should I plan for the future?

Hello, I am a 3rd year student in Bio Sci at UofC (21 years old). I had a pretty bad first 2 years where I had a GPA under 3.0. Now I am doing way better however I don't know what my GPA will look like because I will be writing finals in a few weeks. I have always wanted to go to med school, but I know my grades aren't where they should be and even if I get insanely good grades these last 2 years, I don't know if it will be enough for any of the Canadian med school. What are my realistic options? Should I start planning for a second degree or take an extra year of school? Should I give up on the med school dream that I have always had?

Focus on getting good marks in your last 2 years. GPA requirements are not a mystery. If you meet the minimum then you have a chance. Based on your final score you will be able to make a better decision. If you do meet the minimum you'll need to find ways to make up the ground in other ways. E.g. high MCAT, impactful EC's, great references etc. These are things you can focus on now. Just my two cents.

Some schools only take your best or most recent two years for GPA calculations (Queen's, Western) so you're not out of the running if you do well in these years. If anything, if you can't get in after fourth year I'd do a fifth year of your current undergrad- if you have 3 good GPA years, that's good enough for most schools. At this point, you don't need to think about a second undergrad- you're not at that point yet