Premed 101 Forums

Best self-study MCAT books (non-science background)

Hi all, 

I have read MCAT prep book reviews as well as the forum and this is a topic that comes up over and over again. For my situation, which prep tests would you recommend me to go with: 

1. I have some science background (undergrad was in Psychology) but those courses date  back to years almost 10 years ago! I have not taken organic chemistry or biochemistry. So I definitely need to learn those materials. 

2. I can learn well independently and have a great discipline. I'm hoping that I would do good on the CARS section since from my understanding this section is an easier version of LSAT (hoping my law school education comes in handy).

3. From my research, I'm thinking of going with Kaplan+ Khan and then supplement with different prep tests that I can find.  Some suggested TBR to go through materials thoroughly, I thought sticking to one company might be better for me but I'm open to suggestions. 

Thanks

3 hours ago, pmn123 said:

@frenchpress Thanks! May I ask how much time it took you to be well prepared? Of course everyone’s schedule is different especially for non-traditional applicants.

I think I spent a lot less time than the average person - I had a full time job, so I studied evenings and weekends for 10 straight weeks. I had taken a biochemistry course just before that though, so thankfully I didn’t have to spend quite as much time on that topic. And I had an arts background, so I didn’t do I much CARs prep. I got a 514 - 126/129/129/130

For efficiency, I just worked through the Kaplan books (about 1 a week) and then I did a full length practice exam roughly every other weekend, and tried to target my studying the following week to reviewing the topics for questions I got wrong (using khan to fill in details where Kaplan wasn’t enough). I did this even before I had studied some topics based on some advice I got, and it was a good strategy - it helped me get good at making my best guess at questions within the time limit even on topics I hadn’t studied, and I think it was a big factor in my score. 

Edit: your law school education should help a LOT for CARS. I recommend starting with a practice exam before you even study so you can get a sense on where you’re weakest, and whether CARS will be a challenge for you. I found the ones from NextSteps the best, after the one from the AAMC.

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2020 at 1:07 PM, pmn123 said:

Hi all, 

I have read MCAT prep book reviews as well as the forum and this is a topic that comes up over and over again. For my situation, which prep tests would you recommend me to go with: 

1. I have some science background (undergrad was in Psychology) but those courses date  back to years almost 10 years ago! I have not taken organic chemistry or biochemistry. So I definitely need to learn those materials. 

2. I can learn well independently and have a great discipline. I'm hoping that I would do good on the CARS section since from my understanding this section is an easier version of LSAT (hoping my law school education comes in handy).

3. From my research, I'm thinking of going with Kaplan+ Khan and then supplement with different prep tests that I can find.  Some suggested TBR to go through materials thoroughly, I thought sticking to one company might be better for me but I'm open to suggestions. 

Thanks

I suggest UCI Open Chemistry for the general chemistry + organic chemistry

For Biochemistry, the Oregon state university lectures on YouTube

For others basically finding the Zoom links of university classes and auditing them?