Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, pharm2k25 said:

My friend applied this year and got in 

His last 30 credits were 71%, 

first year avg was 79.5%

Combined: 75.25% he went to a school that gives letter grades so this is what he think it converted to based on ubc's conversion charts. 

seems like anything below 75% is not going to get you an interview at the minimum you need 75% since my first year prereqs are poor I have to go back and retake them and increase them, my question would be that in the admission page the say they look at "all attempts" how would the work exactly? (if anyone would have information on that)

also thanks for replying nice to see that there may be a slight chance however little

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Congrats to all who received an interview invite! As for preparation, I did a lot of practice answering practice mmi questions in front of a mirror under a time limit and really making sure my answers

I love answering this question because I want to give people "hope".  Core = Between 66-69  Last 30 credits = Between 86-89  First term is okay, second term right now is brutal. 

Good luck on interviews everyone!!

12 minutes ago, Hopefullpharm said:

seems like anything below 75% is not going to get you an interview at the minimum you need 75% since my first year prereqs are poor I have to go back and retake them and increase them, my question would be that in the admission page the say they look at "all attempts" how would the work exactly? (if anyone would have information on that)

also thanks for replying nice to see that there may be a slight chance however little

Retaking the first year classes would be good idea. They would take both your grades into account. Example: if you retake calculus and got 60% the first time, and 80% the second time, they would take both of those percentages into the final calculation. I would try to take fewer classes at a time and aim for higher marks so your avg is boosted 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, pharm2k25 said:

Retaking the first year classes would be good idea. They would take both your grades into account. Example: if you retake calculus and got 60% the first time, and 80% the second time, they would take both of those percentages into the final calculation. I would try to take fewer classes at a time and aim for higher marks so your avg is boosted 

yes thats what i have thought the higher the better (much easier said then done)

Thanks for being so helpful

 

Any idea of what the cut off percentage is such that the 70-71% did not get an interview, they said it does not meet the faculties competitive standard they have set?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hopefullpharm said:

yes thats what i have thought the higher the better (much easier said then done)

Thanks for being so helpful

 

Any idea of what the cut off percentage is such that the 70-71% did not get an interview, they said it does not meet the faculties competitive standard they have set?

IF you are a BC resident, aim for a 76% to be safe. You will not get an interview if your average is in the low 70's. I know people who got rejected with no interview with a 73%. 

If you are applying with a 70% again, don't even bother and save your money. If you are a current UBC student, you cannot retake the pre-req courses at UBC. You will need to do it again at a different institution. UBC SCIENCE only lets you redo courses if you fail (<50%). 

Its not all doom though, there are people who get in with a 67% first year average, but these people have significantly higher last 30 credits (in the mid 80's at least) resulting in a 77 ish average. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SKT Faker said:

IF you are a BC resident, aim for a 76% to be safe. You will not get an interview if your average is in the low 70's. I know people who got rejected with no interview with a 73%. 

If you are applying with a 70% again, don't even bother and save your money. If you are a current UBC student, you cannot retake the pre-req courses at UBC. You will need to do it again at a different institution. UBC SCIENCE only lets you redo courses if you fail (<50%). 

Its not all doom though, there are people who get in with a 67% first year average, but these people have significantly higher last 30 credits (in the mid 80's at least) resulting in a 77 ish average. 

yes of course, I am a BC resident and I attended SFU, hence; why i have mentioned that my grades are what I have been able to figure out (which i do believe is accurate) since SFU only provides letter grades (no percentages) I did email the pharmacy faculty and the responded letting me know that the median average combined percentage is usually 80% so my guess would be 75% is like a cut off, but the closer to 80% the better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys do you know when residence offers are supposed to be sent out? I know that we don't qualify for the first year guarantee bc we aren't fresh out of high school, but when should we start looking at other places? Anyone have experience renting/living in Vancouver have any tips?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pharm2k25ubc said:

Would there be interest in making some sort of group chat for those already admitted? Like on Facebook/ig etc 

there is already a facebook groupchat. If you're in the ubc 2025 pharm facebook group. Scroll down to the mmi discord prep link. Join and in the ubc server ask to be added to the ubc groupchat. Someone will add you to the chat. Fb got rid of the link feature for fb group chats 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2021 at 3:51 PM, MariethePharmD said:

Hey guys do you know when residence offers are supposed to be sent out? I know that we don't qualify for the first year guarantee bc we aren't fresh out of high school, but when should we start looking at other places? Anyone have experience renting/living in Vancouver have any tips?

 

I am around 4700 on the waitlist and I applied last week. I would start looking ASAP so you don’t miss getting a place close to campus

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...