Premed 101 Forums

UBC Pharmacy Applications 2020/21 - Class of 2025

sleepy_24

2 hours ago, Sweetjasmine said:

This is very interesting. I don't know why so many people are applying to pharmD this year. This is the case for other universities as well. Despite the fact that a few courses such as labs are not offered this year. This seems strange 

My guess is, cuz of COVID and possibly hard to find jobs? Healthcare is kinda stable but pharm is kinda oversaturated :/ 

25 minutes ago, Forever_Regrets said:

Where did you get this information from? I figured pharm would be less and less competitive every year. When I applied last year I thought most people got in? I didnt really see anyone get rejected. Whereas in previous years thread, there were ppl saying they got rejected. :O 

If you are a BC resident, I wouldn't worry too much tbh. 

So does this mean invites aren't coming out this week?

2 minutes ago, Forever_Regrets said:

Noo. What im asking you is, how do you know there are 700-1000 applicants? I dont know when invites come out. Im part of the class of 2024. Im just here lurking haha :P

ohh. I'm assuming that person emailed someone from admissions. How was first year? Manageable under covid conditions? 

6 minutes ago, Forever_Regrets said:

Noo. What im asking you is, how do you know there are 700-1000 applicants? I dont know when invites come out. Im part of the class of 2024. Im just here lurking haha :P

Woah.... Lucky! How are you doing in the program so far?

And also if you don't mind me asking, what were your core + last 30 credits average?

Just now, eurustico said:

Woah.... Lucky! How are you doing in the program so far?

And also if you don't mind me asking, what were your core + last 30 credits avergae?

I love answering this question because I want to give people "hope". 

Core = Between 66-69 

Last 30 credits = Between 86-89 

2 minutes ago, pharm2k25 said:

ohh. I'm assuming that person emailed someone from admissions. How was first year? Manageable under covid conditions? 

First term is okay, second term right now is brutal. 

6 hours ago, b0reddd101 said:

guys update: apparently around 700-1000 people applied this year, usually they give out interviews to 400-500 is my guesstimate so sounds like its really competitive. also I confirmed and we won't be getting it around April 1st, probably a few weeks into April

I watched their info session yesterday, they said 700-1000 applicants but about 330 interview invites 

4 hours ago, Forever_Regrets said:

Where did you get this information from? I figured pharm would be less and less competitive every year. When I applied last year I thought most people got in? I didnt really see anyone get rejected. Whereas in previous years thread, there were ppl saying they got rejected. :O 

If you are a BC resident, I wouldn't worry too much tbh. 

im a BC resident with a mid 70, do you think i have a shot?

Another class of 2024 lurker here, decided to pop in to answer some qs

The interview selection process gives priority to "underrepresented areas" (so anywhere outside of GVRD). If you have a 70% minimum average you automatically get an interview invite. If you are applying from the GVRD, I think a competitive average for last year was somewhere between 79%-81%. From then on 100% of the admission decision will be based upon interview performance (grades don't matter anymore). 

Personally my stats were: 

1st year: 87

last 30: 90

As for the program and covid, it wasn't so bad as I got to save quite a bit of rent money and had more time due to not having to commute or buy groceries. Academically, first semester was pretty easy, second semester right now is very difficult and requires a whole different set of study skills.

2 hours ago, futurepharmily said:

im a BC resident with a mid 70, do you think i have a shot?

I need more info than a mid 70. If you are 76% and above, you have a fair chance. If you are 75% and below, you probably won't have a shot. 

I would say if you have ~78% combined average of core + last 30, you can expect an interview (for BC resident). But this is based on past history. 

1 hour ago, pharm2k25 said:

Only 330 invites?? :0  I thought it was always around 400-500 invites..

Sounds bout right. I remember Carol (the admission officer from a few years back) was like theres 2 seats for every 3 students who make it to the interview stage. 

I am very shocked that theres 700-1000 applicants tbh :O (but I would think theres around 700 ish - just a guess)

On 3/31/2021 at 4:42 PM, Little Standard said:

Thanks for sharing this information. Can you also tell me where you found this? It is also quite surprising that this thread is less active compare to previous years, yet we have considerable number of applicants. 

a few of you asked me where I got this information from -- I contacted admissions directly! 

19 hours ago, Forever_Regrets said:

I need more info than a mid 70. If you are 76% and above, you have a fair chance. If you are 75% and below, you probably won't have a shot. 

I would say if you have ~78% combined average of core + last 30, you can expect an interview (for BC resident). But this is based on past history. 

Sounds bout right. I remember Carol (the admission officer from a few years back) was like theres 2 seats for every 3 students who make it to the interview stage. 

I am very shocked that theres 700-1000 applicants tbh :O (but I would think theres around 700 ish - just a guess)

what about for a BC resident? I heard if you have like 74%+ you should be okay for an interview? not sure how true that is though

1 hour ago, b0reddd101 said:

what about for a BC resident? I heard if you have like 74%+ you should be okay for an interview? not sure how true that is though

From my personal experience that is FALSE.  I applied with <75%  and didn't receive an interview invite (few years ago). 76 and above is a good number to hit. For absolute guaranteed, go for the flat 80. 

If u get an interview with 75% consider yourself lucky :). But 74, im afraid that isn't high enough tbh. Unless you are from an underrepresented area then yes u will get one. 

Hi guys, I am nervous that my GPA isn't great to receive the interview, especially considering the fact that among 700-1000 applicants only approx 330 people will be invited for interview.

Would anyone feel comfortable sharing their core and last 30 credit GPA? 

Hope you guys in the forum all have good luck for the interview invitation!!!