Premed 101 Forums

MDT Cancelled for Canadian DAT (Nov 2020 and Feb 2021)

Hi,

I found out back in September that the MDT was cancelled for the November 2020 and February 2021 (I will be registering for the February 2021 DAT by the way) Canadian DAT (I will be registering for the February 2021 DAT by the way) and all Canadian Dental schools have cancelled their requirement of the MDT for admission into Fall 2021. However, I am intending on applying for admission into the Fall 2022 semester and some Canadian Dental Schools will require the MDT for that admission cycle. I have emailed the Canadian Dental Association 3 times regarding how I will need to write the MDT in order to meet the 2021-2022 admission cycle requirement's for some Canadian Dental schools. I have yet to receive a reply for the emails and when I call their number they keep telling me to email them, which I have already done 3 times! I was wondering if anybody else had the same issue as me and if they have any info or solution to this problem. Thanks!

With the impact of COVID the issue seems to be quite complex, heres my 2 cents.

The Canadian Dental Association is the organization that is responsible for administering the Canadian DAT. Due to the COVID concerns, they were not able to adapt and maintain the integrity of the Canadian Dental Aptitude Test throughout Canada. The Manual Dexterity Section was removed in most provinces but still administered in Quebec City for this cycle. Now as to why they can administer in one place in Canada but not the rest, I would not know.

What may have happened is that political issues:

• A lack of consensus among all of the Canadian dental universities on the value of the MDT
  • A lack of adaptability by CDA to make reservations, booking rooms where they can seat enough students and off the manual dexterity test.
  • A failure to equally weigh students who may have written the DAT in Feb 2020, Nov 2019 or earlier, with students who are writing it this cycle
  • Above all, a lapse in leadership in Canadian dental education system as a whole. 

Regarding future admission and weighing of the MDT, it is up to each individual dental university. Some universities have said they will ignore it this admission cycle, some say they are phasing it out entirely, other say they'll look at in the future. Prior to COVID there were even rumours that the MDT was a huge revenue generator for the CDA so it was in their interest to maintain it. On the other hand, dental universities were saying it was not necessarily a good indicator of hand skills. In my opinion, most of the hoops we jump through are a greater test of our determination, and character rather than actual job skills.

Beyond the politics it is the student who suffers and pays the price:

• Money spent on buying expensive soaps, online carving training videos, tools etc. 
  • Time invested to build up the MDT skill that will never be given back
  • Time invested to build up the MDT skill that could've been used to build up SNS/RC/PAT skills
  • Life set backs in attaining admission in this year, and maybe deciding to pursue a different career, or go to another country, etc...

Naturally, some students may be feeling disenfranchised, but we have to realize as students we don't have much power here. The Canadian dental association had the power to uphold the integrity of their test throughout Canada. Every Canadian dental university had the powerful decision to make on whether to recognize the MDT or not. As students who may have been significantly affected by this it should humble us that admission processes can change abruptly.

You do have the power to work hard though. Remember who you are. You are applying for a seat in a Canadian dental school. You most likely are an intelligent person given the high GPA requirements for most Canadian dental universities. Ask yourself where your weakness is. Interview, tests, gpa, experiences, etc...

I do not know your personal strengths and weaknesses but given the uncertainty pertaining to these tests, in my opinion, now would be a good time to work on your non-academic skills. Many dental schools have been shifting to holistic admission requirements and I believe that trend will continue. Non-academic skills are inherently valuable in any profession where you will deal with people. Communication, compassion, calmness in adversity, etc... So even if the dental schools stopped weighing them next year, which is unlikely, those skills will still provide value to you inherently so maybe spend time on those. 

Finally, these are uncertain times and you can wait and see how everything plays out and adjust accordingly. In a weird way we are blessed to be in a country where we have these first world / academic policy problems, rather than facing food shortages, lack of government support, or fear mongering leaders of other country's.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, dentdood said:

Wondering if there was any update on this @AbdulT? I am in the exact same boat as you!

Hey @dentdood, 

Unfortunately, I have yet to receive any information regarding our situation. I've emailed dat@cda-adc.ca 4 times in the past two months but have not gotten a response back. They don't even pick up the phone anymore. Hopefully CDA will reply back to me or address this topic on their website before we have to register for the DAT. 

Hey @AbdulT, thanks for the response! Ugh....I am finding it so hard to get information these days too with no one answering the phones at any of the schools or CDA! I am glad they are staying home and safe but waiting weeks for an email reply has definitely been quite the adjustment for me this application cycle. I just emailed each of the schools about this to see what their update is on accepting/not accepting the DAT without MDT for Fall 2022.

I’ll update in here when they reply and fingers crossed you hear back from CDA before our registration!