Premed 101 Forums

2021 UCalgary Interview Invites/Regrets

38 minutes ago, hopeful5332 said:

I am a first time applicant and I'm really hoping they send the invites out soon. I don't want to keep rethinking and doubting my application until Friday lol

I'm totally with you on this! I'm very anxious to just know. It could be today, but they said the 10th - 12th, so who knows which day(s) they'll come out.

7 hours ago, Ali-oop said:

U of A's invitations are out and I doubt U of C will release their decisions the same day. I'm guessing tomorrow or Friday, now. 

Why would they care about UofA’s II release timing? Seems inconsequential. Regardless though, they sure didn’t come today, haha.

13 hours ago, PirouetteCacahuete said:

Why would they care about UofA’s II release timing? Seems inconsequential. Regardless though, they sure didn’t come today, haha.

'Cause past is prologue? And actually, it seems U of C does care- moreso than many schools given their dedication to keeping applicants informed, etc. Lots of people apply to both schools, esp IPs, and some will get two Rs. Rs are hard to take- read this blog- they clearly gut people. Historically, the two schools do not do that to their applicants on the same day. I don't think it's a coincidence. 

1 hour ago, Ali-oop said:

'Cause past is prologue? And actually, it seems U of C does care- moreso than many schools given their dedication to keeping applicants informed, etc. Lots of people apply to both schools, esp IPs, and some will get two Rs. Rs are hard to take- read this blog- they clearly gut people. Historically, the two schools do not do that to their applicants on the same day. I don't think it's a coincidence. 

They don’t have a problem releasing Rs on the same day in May. Rs are gutting, but I think a lot of people would rather go through this once than being strung along, so that depends how you look at it.

Just a bit of thought, I think we're naive to think that the two schools do not communicate and make some decisions together. However, my thinking is that U of C wouldn't have released yesterday because they're still ensuring their GPA mishap did not effect interview invites. I know this is a stressy time for everyone so try to take a breath and practice a little self care this week. Good luck friends!

We have now roughly reached the halfway point between the start of Wednesday and the end of Friday. Good luck everyone! I'm making sure to add some extra self care into my day to de-stress. If we can jump through all the other hoops in this process, we can handle another day and a half :)

TIME STAMP: 2:52 PM PST
Result: Invite
wGPA: 3.87
MCAT: 523 (132/129/132/130)
ECs:

• Listed 13 minor awards (Dean's honour list, community service award, etc.)
  • 4 employment (worked 3 PT jobs during undergrad and currently working FT): lifeguard/swim instructor, peer tutor, residence advisor, clinical research coordinator 
  • Really felt like UofC's Top 10 format allowed my passions to shine. Grouped a lot of activities by theme which meant each was multiple years and hundreds (or thousands) of hours.
    • working with Vancouver's Downtown Eastside (I grouped by theme so I put all my experiences (3 different roles) into 1 entry
    • club president
    • a specific sport/hobby (multiple different roles/activities grouped into 1 theme)
    • university orientations/leadership roles (multiple roles grouped into 1 theme)
    • clinical research (multiple roles grouped into 1 theme)
    • city advisory committee
    • hospital volunteer
    • wetlab research (multiple roles grouped into 1 theme)
    • wetlab research in a different field (multiple roles grouped into 1 theme)
    • QI & public health work (multiple roles grouped into 1 theme, talked about a COVID-related blog I started, online courses, self-initiated QI projects, etc.

Year: BSc 2020 (UBC)
Geography : OOP

Literally crying at work rn, feeling so incredibly lucky!!!!

time Stamp: 6ish
Result:  invite

GPA: 4.00
MCAT: 520 (131/128/131/130)
Current/Past Degree - finishing PhD
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP
Extracurricular Activities - research heavy multiple publications, conferences and presentations also lots of awards and scholarships to go along with the research. Minimal work experience. Various volunteering at community outreach organizations. Lots of extracurriculars mainly sports. 

TIME STAMP: 5:52 PM EST

wGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 525 (129/132/132/132)
ECs: I think I tied my top 10 to experiences that were truly impactful to me. I didn't have 1000s of hours in anything but I really went with things that let my personality/journey shine & hit the clusters. See other posts for details ig

Year: 4th year BSc

TIME STAMP: 5:52 PM EST

wGPA: 3.99
MCAT: 520 (130/131/130/129)
ECs: Honestly I'm not sure anymore. Mostly research and work experiences, with one i consider unique. One USRA and a first author paper to go with it. Literally wrote the essays the night before.

Year: 4th year BSc