Premed 101 Forums

2021 UCalgary Interview Invites/Regrets

• 1 month later...

Result: Invite

GPA: 3.76 (UCAN)

MCAT: 508 (123/130*/125/130)

Top 10: Used all 10 but I'm in my 30s so I had lots to say :) Extensive employment and volunteering focused on a couple of specific passions that intersect. Also included some very meaningful personal experiences related to identity. I graduated from a non-science degree a few years ago and had no awards or research experience.

I haven't been in the forums until now, which was probably the right call for my mental health. I did my interview on March 6th and have been trying to not think about it since then, but I'm in my feels today knowing the other half of interviewees are doing theirs this weekend! U of C was one of the only schools in Canada that I was eligible to apply for so I'm very happy as a first time applicant.

• 3 weeks later...

Result: Invite

wGPA: 3.78

MCAT: 501 (CARS 127)

ECs: Varsity athlete w/ U of A, volunteer coach x10 years, queer athlete experience/advocacy, pediatric critical care flight nurse x3 yrs, PICU/PCICU nurse x2 years, unit mentorship lead, multiple international volunteer mission trips as an RN, research assistant (2 posters, no publications), work in harm reduction & addictions, spin instructor x5 years, bilingual heritage

Year: BScN 2016

Geography : IP

• 1 month later...

Result: invite

wGPA: 3.2

MCAT: (127/126/128/127)

ECs: varsity athlete at McMaster and UofA, team Ontario athletics, lifeguard/medic, extensive travelling and volunteering, PhD, full time A/Prof Internal Medicine (10 years research, dozens of publications and recognitions). Bilingual. Personal experience with severe chronic illness. 

Year: BSc 2010, MSc 2012, PhD 2015, Professorship 2020

Geography: IP

Advice: if this is truly your passion, just keep trying. Find something that inspires you in the mean time but life is a very long and fun journey. Don't let your age or your first few rejections deter you. With so many fantastic applicants every year, this really is just a game of roulette. Keep studying hard, keep doing what you love, and keep trying until you succeed! Don't give up!