Premed 101 Forums

Adjusted GPA for co-op student

Hey guys, 

Current applicant to UBC and was wondering if anyone knows how GPAs are calculated for co-op students? I'm hoping I'm eligible for agpa, but I'm unsure how I'll be assessed. I applied last year and my ogpa was the same as my agpa, why is that? 

Also, do master's classes count towards the GPA calculation? 

For reference my undergrad course load was as follows:

Year 1: Fall (5 courses) / Winter (5 courses) = 30 credits 

Year 2Fall (5 courses) / Winter (5 courses) / Summer (1 course) = 33 credits

Year 3: Fall (5 courses) / Winter (co-op work term) / Summer (co-op work term)= 15 credits

Year 4: Fall (5 courses) / Winter (5 courses)/ Summer (co-op work term) = 30 credits

Year 5: Fall (co-op work term) / Winter (5 courses) = 15 credits                                                                                                                               

In total I took 41 courses (123 credits) and did 4 work terms 

Cheers and good luck to everyone this cycle!

2 hours ago, Darce said:

Hey guys, 

Current applicant to UBC and was wondering if anyone knows how GPAs are calculated for co-op students? I'm hoping I'm eligible for agpa, but I'm unsure how I'll be assessed. I applied last year and my ogpa was the same as my agpa, why is that? 

Also, do master's classes count towards the GPA calculation? 

For reference my undergrad course load was as follows:

Year 1: Fall (5 courses) / Winter (5 courses) = 30 credits 

Year 2Fall (5 courses) / Winter (5 courses) / Summer (1 course) = 33 credits

Year 3: Fall (5 courses) / Winter (co-op work term) / Summer (co-op work term)= 15 credits

Year 4: Fall (5 courses) / Winter (5 courses)/ Summer (co-op work term) = 30 credits

Year 5: Fall (co-op work term) / Winter (5 courses) = 15 credits                                                                                                                               

In total I took 41 courses (123 credits) and did 4 work terms 

Cheers and good luck to everyone this cycle!

There’s no difference between how it’s calculated for co-op students and anyone else. See the examples on the website here: https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/evaluation-criteria/

They’ll take the year with the worst average, and drop up to 30 credits from that year. If you only did one term that year because you were on co-op, then it will be 15 credits.

In terms of your other question, did you not have sufficient credits to qualify for agpa last year?

On 11/22/2020 at 7:09 PM, frenchpress said:

There’s no difference between how it’s calculated for co-op students and anyone else. See the examples on the website here: https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/evaluation-criteria/

They’ll take the year with the worst average, and drop up to 30 credits from that year. If you only did one term that year because you were on co-op, then it will be 15 credits.

In terms of your other question, did you not have sufficient credits to qualify for agpa last year?

I believe I did, I had already completed my undergrad when I did, which was why I was confused that my agpa and ogpa were the same!